So... What's up with your tank?

TheClark

well it's been a while since I've posted anything on here.  I'm in the process of emptying out the tank to tear it down and make some improvements and set it back up.  we had 2 kids but now they are 6 and 3 so I'm finding more time for the tank.  It was full of softies but now it's time to get back to LPS.  it's not really this blue but the camera on my phone thinks it is.  the corals in the tank are the ones I need to get rid of still so if anyone wants some softies let me know.  i'll make you a great deal.  the rest of the live rock I'm cooking. 

http://23064209072_c9ea95e0db_b.jpg2015-11-16_06-13-07 by kilmca, on Flickr

• Like 1

well it's been a while since I've posted anything on here. I'm in the process of emptying out the tank to tear it down and make some improvements and set it back up. we had 2 kids but now they are 6 and 3 so I'm finding more time for the tank. It was full of softies but now it's time to get back to LPS. it's not really this blue but the camera on my phone thinks it is. the corals in the tank are the ones I need to get rid of still so if anyone wants some softies let me know. i'll make you a great deal. the rest of the live rock I'm cooking.

holy cow, how big is that?

holy cow, how big is that?

400 gallon, 10' long x 32" wide x 24' tall. 

I just bought new clean up crews for both home and work tank. Also bought a couple Halloween urchins at the advice of Charles to help with my little green turf algae problem. Still looking for a melanarus wrasse.

Bill, sorry again about not letting you have that melanurus wrasse.  I just can't bring myself to let it go since I found out it will eat out of my daughters hand. 

Well came home from college to check on my frag tank and discovered that my lights have been on for the past few days all day...... When I left I forgot to set them back on auto so they have been running non stop.

Needless to say I came home to a bunch of algae in my tank and some unhappy corals..... So far haven't lost anything (fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well it's been a while since I've posted anything on here.  I'm in the process of emptying out the tank to tear it down and make some improvements and set it back up.  we had 2 kids but now they are 6 and 3 so I'm finding more time for the tank.  It was full of softies but now it's time to get back to LPS.  it's not really this blue but the camera on my phone thinks it is.  the corals in the tank are the ones I need to get rid of still so if anyone wants some softies let me know.  i'll make you a great deal.  the rest of the live rock I'm cooking. 

Is this in the basement?

Looks familiar :D I think it was 6 years ago or so maybe 7......

Had my first DIY ATO float valve malfunction.

The power went out for a bit earlier. I ran to unplug the skimmer so it wouldn't over flow on restart. A DIY skimmer startup delay timer is also in the works. (The parts are in the mail) the power was not off that long at all but enough to make the return pump reset. It's the new Jecod DCT-3000. For the people that do not know. They ramp the power back on slowly from zero to what ever you had it set to previously. Even if it's just a blip in the power it does this. That means my full siphon breaks and has to restart every time.

After all this I plugged the skimmer back in then opened the cabinet to check on things. Just to find the skimmer section of my sump almost ready to overflow! Looked around quickly to find my bubble trap foam plugged up with a funny layer of goo? So I quickly removed that to refill the return section with water.

Well during all this chaos the return section was empty. In turn the float valve added about 3 gallons of top off that was pumped strait to the display. Luckily I keep my salinity pretty high so it wasn't impacted that bad.

The funny thing about tonight is my other DIY project is a ATO timer to prevent things like this from happening. The parts for that showed up today and was sitting on the counter, within eye sight!

Go figure!

Needless to say, I don't think that foam bubble block is returning to my sump any time soon.

I have been playing around with a yellow pair of safety glasses I use at the range to filter some of the blue from my leds when I am taking pictures. I am using my Samsung S4 to take the pictures.

d0308556fd3e1713919e53b4e3870cfe.jpg

2699f1a96f5d22f25277f6ece12697aa.jpg

3f04357817c73592b589e76a45c33a46.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

New skimmer

installed today - Bubble Magus B10

So far I like it..

http://www.bubble-magus.com/productinfo.aspx?id=539

634969DC6362E72B81F8F7B4CBCFC5D435B8E370

Also....  Playing with T5 supplemental lighting.  

Gotta say it is easy on the eyes.

Thanks to Jason at OIAB, he has it setup with his kessils.  

Looks nice.  Hooked me.

You can play for 50 bucks, fun experiment.  Stop by and see it...

• Like 1

New skimmer

installed today - Bubble Magus B10

So far I like it..

http://www.bubble-magus.com/productinfo.aspx?id=539

Also....  Playing with T5 supplemental lighting.  

Gotta say it is easy on the eyes.

Thanks to Jason at OIAB, he has it setup with his kessils.  

Looks nice.  Hooked me.

You can play for 50 bucks, fun experiment.  Stop by and see it...

Cool! I think Travis' display combo of Kessils and Red Sea T5 is really nice. I am playing with a T5 / LED combo in one of my Red Sea tanks.

• Like 1

Moved where the Kalk drip, well.... drips into the sump.  

Found a better location in more flow, further downstream from the Calcium reactor effluent drip.  

PH went up immediately and drops far less at night.

You can see the spikes, 2 minutes of kalk every 20 minutes.

8dZ6ZbD.png