Sign in to follow this  
Michael

bad ich on my powder blue tang, can i save my snails?

Hello, 

100 gallon tank, 

no recent spikes that i can read, 

chaeto in fuge

ive done two 50-60 percent water changes

ich has been super bad on only my powder blue tang, not so bad on blue hippo tang

ive used about two bottles of tropical science probiotics, 

i feed my tangs seaweed thats garlic infused, 

mix of frozen food i got from cuttle fish and coral, i've heard from many people its great stuff. 

every once in a while i feed flakes, also contain probiotics...

after everything ich is still bad in tank, powder blue is established have had for a while now, he's been fine but recently got ich after i introduced a new fish that died.... 

My next option that i can see would be to copper dose my tank, but doing so i believe that i will loose my snails. i dont have to many, but i still would like to keep them. is there any medication that anybody knows of that will save my snails, my fish, and rid my tank of ich? or as much as possible?

is QT my two tangs my only option? and at that point is my tank able to handle new live stock? i would like to add a few more fish. 

i dont have nay coral...YET

but i know there is some stuff i can buy that will remove all copper from tank, right?

thus making it reef safe? 

Thanks guys

i also have a clown, two snowflake eels (babies), 4 chromis, 2 fire fish, coral beauty, damsel, foxface, along with powder blue (has ich) and blue hippo tang (also has ich). 

wanting to add a yellow eye tang, and a wrasse. but cannot due to ich

Dosing copper to the DT is a very bad idea, it will pollute your tank and make it a death trap for inverts and corals indefinitely. A hospital tank is pretty much your only option...Powder Blue's IMO are just ticking time bombs.

Most people will recommend removing all fish from the DT and letting it remain fallow for a period of like 12 weeks...the sooner you can get a hospital tank the better. The powder may show signs of improvement, and then a couple days later the ich will be back, worse than ever. There are a number of treatments you can setup in the hospital tank, just do a little more research, there are hundreds or thousands of threads on it.

• Like 1

Hypo salinity worked for me but you'll need to remove all inverts from your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

okay, i am thinking of setting QT tank, an probably will, maybe then dosing that tank with copper. 

Im guessing DT tank stands for my... main tank? 

i dont have any coral in this tank, just fish, only thing i was worried about was my snails. 

setting up a QT tank will be best for powder blue and hippo tang, but that doesnt mean that my main tank (DT?) will be ready for new fish?

Thanks again guys

Remember that if you are just setting up the QT, it will go through a normal cycle...and then add to the stress of the PB Tang, and other fish. The correct way to do it is to have the QT tank up and running(cycled) before the fish are purchased...I have made the mistake of haphazardly tossing together a QT tank in a pinch, and all the fish subsequently died...It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Maybe you know someone with a hospital tank already setup and running?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By cmckown
      New here so I guess I cant post classifieds. I am moving out of state and need to pass on my SPS tank.
      Any ideas for me to post or contacts to be made I am all ears. I have it on Craigs but could sure use some help.
      971344886three Corey.

• By air561
      So I picked up a Kole tang and a Foxface from Ken's closeout on July 8th. Two days ago, I noticed a couple of small white spots on my Foxface that looks like ich. Today there were many more so I pulled him out and put him in a quarantine tank and began to check parameters. My pH was at 7.4.... Stupid. I started adding formula 2 and brought it back up. Now, my question is, I've never had ich in my tank before and it's been a month since I added the Foxface. Could this be ich? Can it stay dormant that long or is it in the gills of another fish and I just can't see it. I'm going to be treating the quarantine tank with copper and hyposalinity for the next six weeks. All of my fish including the Foxface are acting normal. I really love this fish and I want to do anything I can to save him. Any suggestions appreciated. I haven't been able to get a good picture yet of him yet, but when I do, I'll post them.
    • By luv951
      I have decided that my time is up.  Really just not paying attention to the tank anymore and not giving it the attention that it needs. 

This is a turn-key setup.  It has everything you need to get up and running. 

Looking to sell as a package right now, not parting out.

It is a 90 gallon custom tank from Envision with a semi-rimless setup.  You can see what that means from the pics.  I just hate seeing the water line in rimless tanks, so I decided to build an open-top, semi rimless tank.  With the sump and refugium, the total system volume is around 90+75+45 = 210 gallons.

The whole setup is about 3 years old.

Here is a list of the equipment that is included (most of it has the original boxes):

- 90 gallon custom Envision cube.  Has the BeanAnimal overflow setup, external.  Black back.
       - Custom furniture-grade stand and canopy made from first quality maple. Stained black.
       - 75 gallon glass sump - drilled for return pump
       - 45 gallon glass refugium - drilled with redundant drains to drain to sump
       - 15 gallon top of tank - drilled to be quick drained to sump, if needed
       - 15 gallon saltwater change tank
       - SKIMZ SM 202 Monzter E-Series - External Protein Skimmer w/MJ feed pump (Purchased Jan 2014)
       - 2 Reef Breeders Photon16 LED lights w/hanging kit (Purchased Jan 2014) (I think the ramp up to only about 65%)
       - Vortec MP-40W ES
       - Reeflo Dart Hybrid pump - Can be a dart or a snapper by changing the impeller (return pump)
       - Two eductors on the returns to help with flow.
       - 2 TLF reactors with MJ 600 feed pumps
       - Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI setup
       - BRS RO/DI booster pump
       - AutoTopOff.com auto top off system with solenoid
       - (2) MJ 1200s with propeller kits (1 for mixing kalkwasser in top off, the other for mixing new water)
       - Sybon Refractometer
       - (5) Eheim heaters
       - Ranco 1 stage temp Controller with temp Probe
       - (3) American DJ Power Strips
       - tons of plumbing and valves, etc.
       - box of Kent Sea Salt to get you started
       - Test kits for everything you need
       - Enough home-made seafood mash to feed them for a year
       - over 200 pounds of live rock between the tank and fuge
       - (2) 40 gallon Brute cans drilled with valve, 1 with float valve for water changes, etc.

Here is the Livestock in the tank right now:

- Yellow Tang (4")
      - Blue Hippo Tang (4")
      - Bangai Cardinal (2")
       - Matted Filesfish (2")  - he lives in the refugium, haven't seen him in a while
      -A few peppermint shrimp (1-7, not sure how many)
       - various snails, crabs,
       - tons of caulerpa
       - various mushrooms, leathers and soft corals and other corals.  Huge GSP Covered rock

I am asking $2500 for all of it.  The tank and stand alone set me back about $1300.  The SKIMZ was another $530 and the LEDS were another $630.  Those three pieces pretty much cover the cost of the tank. Add in the vortech, various other tanks, heaters, reeflo ranco, etc, and this is at least $4500 in equipment alone.

The Sump room that you see in the pics was designed such that it can be removed from my garage in more or less one piece.  It is fully epoxy-lined ($500+) and water proof.  It has a drain and a vent to exhaust the air.  If you are interested in that, we can work something out.

Looking to sell as a package right now, not parting out.

Pics:

Building the stand:

After it was stained:

Sump room when brand new (before putting in the 45 gal. fuge):

Shot of the tank, etc. taken today (lights were just ramping up - sunrise):

Older Shot of the Tank: