intro - Thor

ThorS

Hi All,

After diving in Bali on my honeymoon last week the spark for a reef aquarium has been lite. Being away from a tank for 5+ years I need some updates as I have two main goals. 1. Don't spend a fortune 2. All livestock tank raised. To accomplish this I know I need a good community of reef keepers.  Do people frequently sell equipment and livestock here? I found a FB group that looks promising. But i used to be a member on a forum site that was awesome......

Welcome to the forums.

There is always something for sale on here! I happen to sell a lot of stuff during the winter months, just like a lot of others. A lot of us will toss out frags and such to people just setting up tanks as well. Just keep an eye out you will run across deals on here a lot.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The Saltwater Reefing hobby in general is not good for your wallet. This hobby is expensive no matter how your going to try and spin it. Tank raised Livestock will be difficult to find unless your considering LiveAquaria in the mix as well. The folks on this forum have a plethora of different corals to sell and trade so thats a plus. As for equipment it does come around, but not nearly as often as a place like Reef2Reef. If you are in it for the long haul my suggestion would be to put down the money for some good equipment that will last, i.e Skimmer, powerheads, lighting, and ATO. If you go just buying out cheaper used odds and ends you will end up in a vicious cycle of replacing them, and if a critical piece you will be replacing them quickly and usually not for a good deal and you end up finding yourself always upgrading the equipment, so I believe its best to do it right the first time and avoid headaches down the road. Tanks on the other hand come around often here and Craigslist and I would most certainly buy used before paying retail prices on those. Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum! As far as corals you can get pretty good deals here and like exodus said if you are patient , there are usually good deals on turn key tanks some relatively new.  There is a meeting coming up this Sunday where you could meet lots of people. 

Pm me if you would  like to be added to our evite list.

• 1 month later...

Welcome Thor! I have seen some beautiful tanks maintained "on a shoestring". There is used equipment in our Classified section of the forum, and lots of trading of livestock going on here in the forum, and at our meetings. Many hobbyists here would be glad to give you a few frags to get started!

When I first began with reef keeping years ago, There were not a lot of supplies available, and we helped each other out as much as possible. Keeping a reef tank these days is much simpler, although some systems can be very complex and expensive. It is true that it can become very expensive, but it is not necessary to spend a small fortune. Please become involved with our club and meetings!