Jebao Pumps...waste of money

dlp6899

Just wanted to post my experience with Jebao pumps in case your thinking about getting one.

I have 4 Jebao RW 15s, 2 WP 25s, 1 RW 8  and a DC 1200 return pump. I also have a Jebao DP4 dosing pump

All 4 RW 15s quit working within a years time frame. My oldest pump made it one year and my newest 4 months. 

Both WP 25s are just over a year old and are still running. They have lost probably 50% of their power output, but at least they still work.

My RW 8 is 4 months old and no problems yet.

Jebao Dosing pump is about 8 months old and no problems yet. The pumps have become more noisy over time, so probably not a good thing. 

DC 12000 return pump is 6 months old and quit working yesterday.

I keep my pumps clean and well maintained. I did not mention all the times they have randomly stopped working and I was able to get them going again.  I give up on Jebao.

Time for me to stop being cheap and spend the money on some decent pumps. 

• Like 1

I agree if you wanna do cheap go koralia ive never had any real problems with them except an impeller magnet on a K4 split and i emailed them i had the pump 6mo and it was used when i got it and they still sent me a new impeller assembly no questions asked for free. Never go cheap on a return pump i have ran the same iwaki 40 for 9yrs solid and still running strong

Edited by merritt180

I'll play Devils advocate here, I know plenty of people who have spent the 200, 300, 400 plus dollars on Votechs and had them crap out in less than a year's time. My MP10 was stupid loud withing 4 months of owning it. I run sicce in my cube now and love it, but it's only been running for 4 months or so. Pumps are tough, they take nearly the most amount of abuse of anything in our tanks. A lot of people look at it as they can buy 6 rw pumps for the cost of one MP pump.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue

Ah, that is a bummer.

I run allot of jebaos with very little issues.  I guess it varies.  Funny thing is I don't do much to maintain them.

There are guys that have problems, but Jebao has also snapped up a huge market share so who makes the most noise?  The one's with issues.

Well I do appreciate people sharing problems, it is useful information and needs to get out there.

Love my jebaos still, that opinion can change at any time as I am in deep now :)

• Like 2

When I bought the Jebao pumps I told myself, heck even if it only runs for a year I can buy three more for the price of some of the fancier pumps. But now I have had basically seven pumps and possibly a dosing pump quit running on me in a years time frame. My return pump and two RW 15s all quit while I was out of town for a day and a half. I got home and lost several nice pieces of SPS do to no water flow.

I can at least say I gave Jebao a chance. Now the question is what pump do I buy. I am looking at Maxspect Gyre 150 vs Vortech MP 40. Kind of leaning towards the MP 40.

I bought my Jebao 12000 DC back in Oct. 2014, I think the most maintenance I've done on it was took it apart and rinsed it out when I switched sumps couple weeks ago. It's still going strong with no issues.

I bought 2 Jebao RW-8s in Feb. 2015, haven't done any maintenance on them. Working fine.

Bought my Jebao DP-4 in April 2015, Calibrated it when I got it and haven't touched it since. Pumps don't seem any louder then they did when I got it, Its only like 3' from my couch and can't hear it over the TV. 

I'm not saying Jebao are top notch high end quality equipment but I think they have been well worth my money. 

Seems like I've heard better results from people not cleaning there Jebaos. lol.

I just bought a Jabeo 12000 for a return pump. I run vortechs in the tank. I figure the 12000 might only work for a year or two but if/when it does crap out at least I'll the vortechs to keep flow going. I'll probably drop the coin for the new Ecotech pump when this one craps out. 

I'm a Jebao convert, myself, and I've got 6 Wp-25s. They are only $50 on Amazon. And, with this wavemaker (http://www.joejaworski.com/jebao/), they are the bomb! In contrast, I also have two Vortech Mp10s, and I paid nearly $400 each for them (3 months after I bought them they lowered the price by $100!).

All of my Jebaos are still running after 8 months to 1.5 years, and I couldn't happier with them. They do appear to lose some power over time, but if I only get a year out of them, well, then I'll get new ones every year. I could buy new Jebaos every year for 6 years before I ended up paying as much as I would for a new Ecotech. And.....my Ecotech Mp10s are noisy as h@ll....but I could get the quiet drive driver for........another $50.

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

I've been happy with my Jebao products. I ran 2x WP40s for 1.5 years with minimal maintenance until they died. I now run 2x RW15s in their place, up for 8 months now.

As Lex said, the price difference lets us replace them more often for less money. Only long term wave makers I've heard of are some of the older Tunze ones, which usually run $400+ each and often don't have controllers for that price.

Honestly, people have luck with some and not with others. I bought my first RF Dart return thinking "it was the best" and it started making noise after a year and I ended up replacing it with a newer one that has been running solid now for almost 2 years with no problems. Both were new, both were same brand and model. I think more bad batches of equipment come out of China but doesn't mean everything is total junk.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with my RW15's over the last year or so. I replaced sicce 2800's I paid significantly more for, one of which died and the other magnet succumbed to the saltwater and rusted out. One of my Wp10's at work just died, but it seems to be from calcium buildup from 2 part dosing that I don't get from using reactor at home. My sicce return at work seizes up occasionally for the same reason, but a good soak in vinegar always brings it back.

• Like 1

Got 2 RW-8 back in Aug 2014, now one of them just died. I wonder if the constant on/off is the cause of failure. Would ramping power on be better for it. I'll reprogram my controller for soft start but unfortunately it's those thing that only can be 100% sure if it fails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Got 2 RW-8 back in Aug 2014, now one of them just died. I wonder if the constant on/off is the cause of failure. Would ramping power on be better for it. I'll reprogram my controller for soft start but unfortunately it's those thing that only can be 100% sure if it fails.

I noticed more issues with my last set when using wave modes (tending to lock up). I run them all constant now.

I think the problem with their products is tolerances are too tight. It doesn't take much in the saltwater environment to gunk something up or create build up on a bearing. Once they jam, it's only a matter of time before they burn up. Seems like an over current fuse somewhere would prevent this. DC pump owners should sand inside the ceramic bearing to avoid it locking up. Just my experience with them.

I noticed more issues with my last set when using wave modes (tending to lock up). I run them all constant now.

I think the problem with their products is tolerances are too tight. It doesn't take much in the saltwater environment to gunk something up or create build up on a bearing. Once they jam, it's only a matter of time before they burn up. Seems like an over current fuse somewhere would prevent this. DC pump owners should sand inside the ceramic bearing to avoid it locking up. Just my experience with them.

Interesting.. I did manually turn my dead rw-8 and it felt fine. I don't think there a way to take the rw series apart.

I agree, could be the controller. I have had 4 RW15's in the last year-ish range, one died on me (and replaced via amazon) and I assume it was the controller. I too have more issues with them after a preventative cleaning, but when they are running they are great. In fact I replaced all of my MP40s with them and have been very pleased. 

As for the dc12000, mine died at around 14 months. Of course it was when I was on the road for work. I do not recommend these unless you just plan on replacing at 1 year, or have a backup ready with someone there able and willing to replace when it dies. Again, when running it was great, but over the years I had become accustomed to running Mag and Eheim pumps which last for years and years with little to no issues to speak of. I have heard rumor that the new models are supposed to be more reliable...this go around I am going to let the rest of the country do the testing on that one and not me. If a few years from now they are mostly still trucking I may come back. 

RW series much better build and more flow as compare to WP series

Hydor Koralia is another good choice, made in Italy and build as strong as Eheim brand pumps.

IMO, Koralias are good as constant flow power heads, but need to be cleaned often and are loud (the restart clicking) when used as a wave maker. I switched from Koralias to RW-8s mainly for the quite operation, but still have most of them around maybe 1 or 2 have died.