DI Resin - what do you use?

Blue Z Reef

Wondering what DI resin you are all using? What lifespan are you getting out of it? Mine seems to get used up rather quickly despite newer filters. Wondering if some is "better" than others. Mine is some color changing I got off eBay, of course they say nuclear grade but who knows lol. This is the loose stuff you reload yourself.

Kinda weird since my membrane is less than 6 months old and filters are like 3-4 months old. My triple TDS meter says 110-120ish from the tap - > 4 after filters and membrane -> 0 out. I manually flush until membrane out TDS drops to 5-6. Seems like I get somewhere around 50-70 gals per 2x DI refills (plastic tubes, not filter style holders).

Any thoughts or experiences?

I picked up some BRS color changing from TPA about a year ago and I am still getting 0-TDS out of my unit, but my water is only at a high of 24-TDS from tap. My usage is about 5 gal. top off water every two weeks, and 5 gal. monthly water change, so about 200 gallons threw it. I also manually flush my membrane every time I use the unit, maybe 5 gal for the year. I also have a tendency to forget about water being on, luckily my unit is in my garage. Was on almost 8 hours, while I was at work, on one day till my wife got home and turned the water off. 

So all in all I've prob ran 300 gallons threw my unit and still getting a 0-TDS out of it.

I know here in Vancouver we have a high output on the TDS meter. I think mine is at 130 or so out of the tap.

I just picked up a used RO unit and am planning on just getting new filters from Aqua Cave. Unit still read 0 on the TDS meter but I don't want to chance it once the tank cycles and actually need some water.

I know it may be a little cheaper to by in bulk but why chance it on the water? that is one of the most important parts of our hobby.

• Like 2

It's a 5 stage: 5 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron carbon, 150gpd membrane, 2 DI chambers.

I guess this is more of a convenience issue as it outputs 0 TDS but I feel like I have to replace the DI resin every other time I make water. The cost is low as 5lb of eBay resin is only $35 which fills the chambers several times....just seeing what others use.

I picked up some BRS color changing from TPA about a year ago and I am still getting 0-TDS out of my unit, but my water is only at a high of 24-TDS from tap. My usage is about 5 gal. top off water every two weeks, and 5 gal. monthly water change, so about 200 gallons threw it. I also manually flush my membrane every time I use the unit, maybe 5 gal for the year. I also have a tendency to forget about water being on, luckily my unit is in my garage. Was on almost 8 hours, while I was at work, on one day till my wife got home and turned the water off. 

So all in all I've prob ran 300 gallons threw my unit and still getting a 0-TDS out of it.

you sir need one of these --> http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reverse-osmosis-float-valve.html

I don't know how many times I forgot and left the water on, wish I had had one of these sooner, 2 installed now and love them

you sir need one of these --> http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reverse-osmosis-float-valve.html

I don't know how many times I forgot and left the water on, wish I had had one of these sooner, 2 installed now and love them

I have several sitting around the house, but I fill up a 5 gallon jug then carry the jug into my house and dump it into my 5 gallon ATO bucket. 

This is my "transfer" jug.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16915/Jugs/F-Style-Jugs-5-Gallon-Natural?pricode=WZ494&gadtype=pla&id=S-16915&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyK-vBRCp4cymxermx-EBEiQATOQgh71ZssDy5mArZnO1f10JPmKQuarItvjXvFVBCvRnVAMaAtwR8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds