Taking the plunge.. From fresh to salt

ELGOOSEMAN

Hey everyone, I am new to the group and its my first time getting salty! I purchased a 29 gallon Biocube off of craigslist. It had everything I needed to get started but it was a little neglected. When i got it the Nitrates were off the chart. Since then I have done three 50% water changes and i have it down to 90.. I am about to do my 4th 50% water change.. I have a mocha clown, rose bubble anemone, and an emerald crab. They all seem to be doing very well, the anemone especially! The stem is longer and the bubbles are longer and fuller. I am new to the reef and salt water thing so i'm trying to keep it simple and as inexpensive as possible! If you have any tips for getting nitrates down faster I would love to hear them, also any tips for a reef beginner would be great! Each time i go to World of Wet Pets for my water I get more excited to get some cool corals and fish but I have to get the tank stable first. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the addiction!  It is such a great hobby, all consuming at times.

Nitrates after cycle?  

Most would probably say that continuing to do partial water changes is your best bet for now.

Long term hopefully the anaerobic bacteria in the live rock will take care of allot of it, and some people use other methods such as growing chaeto, carbon dosing, de-nitrators etc.  For now, it would be fair advice to say keep it simple and stick with water changes and give that last part of the cycle a chance to finish up.  My son's tank is just coming out of the first part of the cycle, same issue.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Water changes will be your best friend until the nitrates are gone. It will take tike, but they will come down. I bought a setup a long time ago and dealt with the same issue. Slow and steady is where you're at for a while. Is the rear chamber of the biocube modded? A refugium with some chaeto algae will help in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have removed the bioballs, I have live rock, live sand, and crushed coral. I am running an Aqua Clear foam filter insert where the main intakes are, then I have a chemi pure blue, a protiene skimmer, heater, and crushed coral in the second chamber.. thoughts on that set up? Should I change something up?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would recommend to all new reefers. Invest in a rodi unit and a  refractometer and mix your own slat water it will save time and money in the long run and will also insure that the water is mixed to the same salinity and PH each time.

if you removed bioballs and added crushed coral  it will take some time to build up the bacteria that was lost when the bio balls were removed and may be going through a cycle.

Sounds though that you are doing the right thing with water changes and that being patient will pay great dividends in the long run. Good luck and Happy Reefing  :thumbs:

• Like 1