40gal Breeder DIY FTW

NanoDrummer09

Spent the past 2 months setting up and prepping the new tank.  Just moved here and once the boxes were unpacked water started filling the tank.  Consist of a 40gal breeder, 20gal DIY sump, DIY aqua lifter ATO, 2 550 media reactors, and a LED DIY lighting setup consisting of rapid leds with controller.  I plan on sticking to mostly softies, montis, and zoas,  Plan on stocking it this week with a clean up crew and maybe a clown pair.  

Edited by NanoDrummer09

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

DIY part of the hobby is just as rewarding as watch corals grow. :)

I got some easy starter $5/frag sps to test out your system. PM if interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

:laugh: Now there is a true dealer........ after the 5 dollar one the next will be 20 then 50 :laugh: Oh it never stops......

Tank is looking good! It is nice to do things yourself.

That time to get more salt.  Ive been using Red Sea Pro but want to see what others prefer.  Im satisfied with that salt so i might consider getting it again because of the additives and coral results I've had from it.  What else do people use to minimize additives or visa-versa.  

Thanks! 

I started off with IO then moved to IO Crystals then up to Kent and now seem to have finally found my happy salt with Red Sea Pro.. I seem to be able to keep my PH, Cal in happy place just mostly fighting alittle with Alk. but nothing to bad. All my coral seem to be very happy. With IO it was just to set everything up and I didn't have anything other than cleaning crew. I moved to IO Crystals  which was ok but I wanted to get LPS and maybe in time sps so I went to Kent, that's when my PH, Alk and Cal was all over the place all in the high end. After fighting that battle I tossed in the towel and moved over to Red Sea Pro. and I think I finally found a happy place. Other than my alk keeps wanting to drop, but I keep it in check with weekly water changes and using some baking soda in my automated pour it myself ATO :P  Im slowly saving up for a real ATO lol :D

• 2 weeks later...

So i stuck with Red Sea Pro.  Ive noticed some of my SPS melting and my frogspawn not coming out all the way now its not looking to good at all. So i figured i would do a water change then test my parameters.  While i was doing the water change i noticed that my cats have flicked some kibble into the sump... So i figured this would change some of the chemical balance so i did a 5 gal water change, cleaned the filter sock, cleaned out my main return pump and scrubbed the sump floor really good and plan on doing another 5gal water change this weekend.  So I'm down 1 1/2 SPS but my zoas and anemone are looking good.  once i do the water tests ill post the results.  Ive also been dealing with a slowly growing Aiptasia problem but plan on getting some peppermint shrimp to help.  This is what happens when you take yourself out of the hobby for a couple years then try to jump back in haha.  Also i have a DIY LED light set up using Rapid LEDS i built them with a controller and they're controlled by percentage.  Any advice on how i can know what percentage is the correct percentage, without buying a light meter? Thanks for following along!