TheClark Jr 60 Gallon Cube Build

TheClark

Is this the miracle tank you were talking about last meeting? :D

I remember you pointing out that your son has a tank that anything can survive in. Even when stuff is dying in your main tank, if you put it there it will live on.

Yep, this is the miracle tank!  He has bailed out many coral for me this last year.  

maybe glue the sps so it can face up ? nice setup !

Yes, I wish I could!  He allowed me to put them in as an experiment, not sure if he wants them permanently yet.  Hopefully can convince him to lock in a few and glue em down!

• 4 years later...

Andrew is allot older now (20!)

He is crazy busy with college but still has an interest in reefing. 

His tank was suffering...

So we plumbed this tank into our main system to make it MUCH easier to maintain.

To tie it in, we drilled three holes in the left side of the overflow section.  Then installed three bulkheads and setup a bean animal overflow.  Cut a hole in the floor, routed the drain lines back to the sump.  Installed a small return pump.

We have aspirations to paint the pvc black, but the TODO list is HUGE so maybe for now we get to look at PVC primer blotches since it is in the back..

Originally we had a gate valve for the full siphon, but it was leaking through the stem.  So sadly we had to go to a ball valve.  Tuning the animal is tough for me with ball valves but it is dialed in now.

To install the uniseal bulkheads, we used some silicon grease.  It made a huge difference and tight connections.

To position the bulkheads, we did some measuring and went to CAD.  Made a drilling template so that we could fit all the pipes in such a limited space.

The drains transition from hard pipe to flex to make it easy to route the pipes themselves.

Next up, add some apex safety guards like an overflow high float, leak detector and flow sensor on the feed pump.

I am excited to see how it looks tied into the main system.  Since getting the trident and tying it to the calcium reactor, reefing is just allot easier.  More time enjoying the tank, less time fiddling with it :)

CF5EA53F-248E-4A4C-AF80-71305E49E4D0.jpeg

The template we designed and 3d printed for drilling the holes...  It has tabs to hold it in place, holes in the right places.  Material removed from the sides to make it faster to print...

image.png

• Like 2

Andrew is allot older now (20!)
He is crazy busy with college but still has an interest in reefing. 
His tank was suffering...
So we plumbed this tank into our main system to make it MUCH easier to maintain.
To tie it in, we drilled three holes in the left side of the overflow section.  Then installed three bulkheads and setup a bean animal overflow.  Cut a hole in the floor, routed the drain lines back to the sump.  Installed a small return pump.
We have aspirations to paint the pvc black, but the TODO list is HUGE so maybe for now we get to look at PVC primer blotches since it is in the back..
Originally we had a gate valve for the full siphon, but it was leaking through the stem.  So sadly we had to go to a ball valve.  Tuning the animal is tough for me with ball valves but it is dialed in now.
To install the uniseal bulkheads, we used some silicon grease.  It made a huge difference and tight connections.
To position the bulkheads, we did some measuring and went to CAD.  Made a drilling template so that we could fit all the pipes in such a limited space.
The drains transition from hard pipe to flex to make it easy to route the pipes themselves.
Next up, add some apex safety guards like an overflow high float, leak detector and flow sensor on the feed pump.
I am excited to see how it looks tied into the main system.  Since getting the trident and tying it to the calcium reactor, reefing is just allot easier.  More time enjoying the tank, less time fiddling with it [emoji4]

CF5EA53F-248E-4A4C-AF80-71305E49E4D0.thumb.jpeg.7c481f56c982c964043607297cf2cf61.jpeg

The template we designed and 3d printed for drilling the holes...  It has tabs to hold it in place, holes in the right places.  Material removed from the sides to make it faster to print...

image.thumb.png.875dc4cf8c904e7e35025abc1f1514b3.png

Dude, you are freaking amazing! Awesome work!

I can see it now, "Hey dad, can I just plug my system into yours? It'd way easier to maintain." Your big ole tank controlled by the Trident is like patching into the ocean for your son's tank. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Dude, you are freaking amazing! Awesome work!

I can see it now, "Hey dad, can I just plug my system into yours? It'd way easier to maintain." Your big ole tank controlled by the Trident is like patching into the ocean for your son's tank. emoji38.png

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"Patching into the ocean"

Many hours later...

Truth, Love it :D

Well things really came together well.  A week after tying in Andrew's system, and growing some test coral, @Gil&Fin had a sale. 

We were fortunate enough to score some amazing coral.  Here is an updated pic, he is quite proud of the tank once again!

Hopefully everything grows well and encrusts.  Fun day!

image.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...