New 44-gallon Red Sea Reefer 170

Gil&Fin

How do I double-like a post?

Just like this post too! ???? I would be careful with that Valentini. They are cool fish because they tend to swim up and down more so perfect for a cube and they can get quite tame. I had to get rid of mine because it started eating my acans. The snowflakes do grow quickly! Get Jeff to get you a gold dwarf moray eel!

B00 yah! How's that for staying on topic????? gotta watch that spectra guy though!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have mixed feelings about my Prime.  On one hand, I would not feel confident using it for real SPS growth.  I only keep softies and a couple LPS in that tank, mostly because my valentini puffer would make short work of anything else.  And in my experience, I'm not getting great results with my softies under that light anyway.  Of course that could be due to 1000 things other than the light, so don't put much credence in that.

On the other hand, I find the Prime easy to adjust.  I happen to like a lot of blues, so that is what I have it set with--low reds and whites, high on the blues and purples.  The tank is in my bedroom, so the hue is peaceful and easy on the eyes.

As far as spread, etc, the PAR drops dramatically in the corners--in fact all around the bottom and also close to the water surface on the sides as well.  A slight tilt of the light really changes the intensity.  So, the inconsistency in PAR throughout the tank can be a problem, and calls for some real planning when placing corals.

In short, I would say it depends on what you want to do with the tank.  In my scenario--softies, no need for an explosion of growth, pleasant colors--it works just fine.  If this were my only tank and I wanted to grow a variety of corals and see real growth, I'd look elsewhere.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2