New 44-gallon Red Sea Reefer 170

Gil&Fin

Totally excited about the new Red Sea Reefer 170 I got last week from Cuttlefish. Jeff is the Bomb! He's always available for questions, helping pick out accessories and livestock, and his pricing is fantastic.

Okay, enough about Jeff. Let's talk about the tank! First, the "170" is actually 170 liters, which is about 44 gallons total system volume. That's 34 gallons in the display, 9 in the sump, and one and one-half in the ATO (which comes with the setup). Super-easy setup. The plumbing snaps together. There is a glass sump with an ATO built-in. The set up does not come with the return pump, protein skimmer, or light. That's a-okay with me, though. That way I could pick up exactly what I wanted and, of course, Jeff helped. For lighting I went with the AI Prime, which I hooked up last night. More to follow up on that.

The tank is in the bedroom with viewing from the front and side, which affected how I did the aquascape. I'm no expert but had a lot of fun playing around with it. Here are some pics of the setup (and you can come see it at the club meeting on Sunday):

05cf8423d056fe09ca901b5ca4270174.jpg

c82575dcf240a70c9febe2779bf56604.jpg

27a9451d8246e4f6977273fd290de19e.jpg

6836d72f7feba10024c71f84c75f49e4.jpg

• Like 5

That is a beautiful little tank and looks so simple to put it together. That may be my next tank! I can't wait to see it! How is the noise from it? You're gonna love having a tank in your bedroom!

Right now it is super-quiet, but I don't have the protein skimmer yet.  The overflow drain has a "muffler" on it, so it doesn't make the annoying trickling noise. 

ptEO1aNBza_Mg8iIP6b5KYULGh4Zd5dxvCYp9PSm

That's a sweet tank Holly! I need to cease looking at this thread for fear that I will order one!

I also just need to not look at it Sunday! You had me at quiet!

My skimmer made this awful squeaking noise for a month but finally went away now that it's broken in.

" I'm no expert" I will disagree with you on that point.

I do love the Red Sea units. I will be watching this as I am wanting a tank at my bed side also. Quite is my key , the wife is on board with everything except the noise. I very much look forward to this tank maturing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Equipment:

Tank is coming together nicely.  AI Prime looks great on the tank and I like that the spectrum is so adjustable--I just haven't got it to my liking yet.  I'll keep at it.  The protein skimmer is in, too.  Reef Octopus 150.  It fits perfectly in the sump.  So far, so good.  I have a Reef Octopus on my frag tank and like it a lot.  With the great pricing, it was a no-brainer for me.

Livestock:

I'm done stocking now.  I've got two PJ cardinals, a domino clown, and a Valentini puffer.  I also have a snowflake eel that is really cool.  He's out all the time, but he's growing fast so I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep him.  The puffer is a crap shoot.  I've always wanted a puffer, but I like my corals.  I've read Valentini's are fine with corals, but I've also read they wreak havoc.  [Don't you love the internet???] Practically overnight he destroyed my acans, but he hasn't touched anything else (so far).  If he does, I'll probably remove the coral--not him.  I'm lucky to have multiple tanks because I have some flexibility moving things around.

Corals/anemones:

I've got mostly softies, but a little of everything in there--nothing high-end (see puffer discussion above :unsure: ).  Softies--zoas, pipe organs, kenya, singularia, devil's hand, tons of mushrooms.  LPS--candy cane, hammer, plate.  SPS--birdsnest, stylos, montipora.  Anemones--gotta have my anemones--rainbow, green, and rose.

Play a game with your kids and see if you can find all four fish in this picture--

A0liBeZ3VqYArWsDJBYMRiAt6oB01KS0uOR0W8z-

tsStCyXXUj7IOOEqXZuPvyHOJXmNVjPnlbDU9jIu

LJyPX7A41RaRBJilnT8nIiRjGri578FHp6FaQuGH

wQ4AWRSHwqTuqAP2FNrUvlqgP3WEiIY6czdpi1pZ

I'm really happy with this turn-key set-up.  It was a lucky find.  I understand Jeff/Cuttlefish was able to get another one in stock.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

The more you all post about them I have become very jealous. I also just got my first office space and I feel like it would fit very nicely and give me an excuse to take a break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rimless tanks are pretty sweet! ???? Keep posted Scott (spectra) keeps talking about selling his new one that he just made an amazing stand for! Sorry for Hijacking your thread Holly!

#weallsufferfromreefadhd

The rimless tanks are pretty sweet! [emoji3] Keep posted Scott (spectra) keeps talking about selling his new one that he just made an amazing stand for! Sorry for Hijacking your thread Holly!

#weallsufferfromreefadhd

Ahh good info that setup that he has is sweet too. Thank you and sorry for hijacking the thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk