New tank!

matty

HOB skimmer a upgrade :nutty:  I would ask them to send me the real one when they get it in stock and have them send you a return tag for the HOB......that is what stinks when you purchase stuff over the internet you just hope they send you the correct stuff....sorry to here you had issues but it still looks good!

• Like 1

I really like that glass sump.

Down the road I may have to get one made for me.

That is the one thing that both Red Sea and Cad Lights got right. Those glass sumps that are rimless are the bees knees :laugh:  I am not one for acrylic anymore................

Well I think this should keep the eel in:

image_zpsvfwvosvn.jpg

I love the overflow cover, the screen clips hold it tight then the screen sits on to of those

image_zpsfli61wgz.jpg

I also modded a Tunze ATO magnet to hold two float switches, one turned upside down to prevent overflows.

image_zpsjvhfgz6m.jpg

Coming along slowly but surely.

I think I will contact Cadlights tomorrow and see if they will take the HOB skimmer back and send me the other when it comes in.

• Like 2

Yea I have been slacking on an update! Everything is in the new tank and doing well. I added a black cap jawfish and he is making a mess but settling in. I got this particular one because he is flu grown, huge actually and I figured he can't fit in the eels mouth. I think they like each other 

image_zpsdoqepjkg.jpg

Here is a full tank shot:

image_zps4jrhetpf.jpg

I think it looks good in the room, plus I like to be able to lay on the couch and watch the tank.

image_zpsvyqbjq1y.jpg

Oh and the fat cat likes the view too! 

image_zpsauyes8gr.jpg

Now I gotta get the Apex fully set up and try to figure out a calcium reactor!  :unsure:

• Like 2

Yea I have been slacking on an update! Everything is in the new tank and doing well. I added a black cap jawfish and he is making a mess but settling in. I got this particular one because he is flu grown, huge actually and I figured he can't fit in the eels mouth. I think they like each other

image_zpsdoqepjkg.jpg

Here is a full tank shot:

image_zps4jrhetpf.jpg

I think it looks good in the room, plus I like to be able to lay on the couch and watch the tank.

image_zpsvyqbjq1y.jpg

Oh and the fat cat likes the view too!

image_zpsauyes8gr.jpg

Now I gotta get the Apex fully set up and try to figure out a calcium reactor! :unsure:

I love this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to give an update since I'm a slacker and don't do that much. Tank is plugging along, finally starting to get the algae issues under control and things are growing. I lost my Jawfish yesterday, he just up and died. I had never seen one as big as him so I honestly wonder if it wasn't old age. I also lost the wall hammer, it just started melting one day after being healthy and happy  :sad:  I finally started using my calcium reactor and levels seem to be stable as ever. I ended up buying an Aquarium Plants carbon doser after the regulator I had quit working a few times. Here are a few quick pictures I snapped last night:

image_zpsug4ymlwx.jpg

image_zpsfaprrsxr.jpg

image_zpshaaqtzeq.jpg

image_zpsqdohisvv.jpg

I think I can attribute better water quality to finally getting the Curve5 skimmer dialed in, look at this nastiness! 

image_zpsmtxdf1vv.jpg

image_zpso31ghb25.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well I figured since my tank is finally reaching the end of all the ugly, i should update this thread. After neglect and changes after changes I have reached the point of just letting things be. I upgraded my equipment to more efficient and for my wife, more quiet pieces. I added the Bubble King skimmer and upgraded my return to a DC. I also added a Quiet drive and older Mp10 with a new dry side in place of the Gyre. I liked the gyre but not for my tank and rock work. 

I replaced my clown pair with the mocha's from my office tank and added (just today) a second flame angel. All of my coral are softies now and if they live cool, if not that's ok too. My anemone has split twice and continues to do very well as has my pride and joy, the eel. I thought for a while I was going to lose him after the second month of not eating, but he bounced back and eats like a pig again. I swear if he would have died, I would have traded my stock for goldfish and been done! 

Oh well, al is good and starting to get better. On to the pictures! 

To kinda celebrate my tank not actually dying, i bought one frag! I love the color combo so I hope it does well.

image_zps64rldznu.jpeg

I also cleaned my sump up and finally trimmed my cheato.

image_zpsqtsti8fj.jpeg

image_zpsrblj44rc.jpeg

Some pics of the tank

image_zps0hyeilne.jpeg

image_zps3vwwpvg0.jpeg

image_zpsdggsffkk.jpeg

image_zpsocyg1zc3.jpeg

image_zpsar8n9pi1.jpeg

image_zps20dcfqpf.jpeg

image_zpsjyersrbt.jpeg

image_zpsnxdhk0dl.jpeg

image_zps0rw4uc3h.jpeg

Here is one I took through a filter that is pretty accurate when the Kessil is at full day 

image_zpsi9fjut88.jpeg

I'm hoping to keep myself motivated through updates here but we shall see. Cruise control seems to be my way so I will be adding lines to and from the tank to the garage to do easier water changes. I figure the easier I make it, the more likely I will succeed!  :D

It's looking really nice, Matty! That is a killer skimmer and sump that you having running.

I'm setting up a tank very similar to yours that will house seahorses. I'm going to be stocking it with gorgonians and zoanthids. Hopefully, it will end up looking as nice as yours! :thumbs:

Edit: 2 questions. What kind of salt do you use, and how often do you do water changes? I'm going to be running my new tank without any dosing, so I am curious what others are doing.

Edited by Lexinverts

Thanks Lex, I use Red Sea Coral Pro but I'm very bad about water changes (part of the problem haha) so I only do them once a month. Going forward, it will probably be every 2 weeks about 10-15 gallons each change. I figure with just softies my demand will be low for loss of nutrients but I also plan to test more.

I feed heavily and have a lot of fish, that was my main reason for the skimmer aside from noise. I hope my declining nitrates continue, I think with this skimmer they will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm super stoked tonight, I finally got a second golden dwarf moray. I was able to scoop up Kim's eel and I introduced them tonight. They have kind kept their distance but have rubbed each other several times and no fighting at all! Here's a pic of her

image_zpsob7ygnvz.jpeg

She is way smaller than mine so I'm hoping the size difference will mean different sexes! How cool would that be? BABIES!

• Like 4