New tank!

matty

Yeah they are. When you factor in the skimmer, but after they aren't on sale they probably won't be.

I found my first issue too, they sent me the wrong skimmer. They sent me there HOB which is actually rated for more volume but won't work with a sump.

Yeah they are. When you factor in the skimmer, but after they aren't on sale they probably won't be.

I found my first issue too, they sent me the wrong skimmer. They sent me there HOB which is actually rated for more volume but won't work with a sump.

Bummer! There's nothing more frustrating when you want to get a new tank running.

When I first got a Red Sea Max tank, the lights kept tripping my GFCI, so I didn't have any light for the first two weeks. It drove me crazy!

• Like 1

I love the way they do the stands with that finish. The Red Sea ones are the same and I just love them.

I think the Cad Lights is a little better deal than the Red Sea as it has a skimmer and return pump. The Red Sea does not include those things. I also like the fact that the Cad Lights overflow is angled into the back of the tank rather than a 90 degree. I think this will help with flow and detritus getting stuck back there.

Oh and tank looks great :laugh:  Now get it wet.........

• Like 1

What do you all think of the thin foam pads they give you with tanks that come as kits, do I have to use it? It's the one that goes between the tank and the stand, It's a [language filter] to get aligned and seems kinda useless.

What do you all think of the thin foam pads they give you with tanks that come as kits, do I have to use it? It's the one that goes between the tank and the stand, It's a This is not a word that is used here in PNWMAS. to get aligned and seems kinda useless.

Different manufacturers have different rules, but I seem to recall some companies requiring that one was used for any warranty issues (like a busted seam). I think the mats help level the tank a bit, I'm not sure. Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 1

Different manufacturers have different rules, but I seem to recall some companies requiring that one was used for any warranty issues (like a busted seam). I think the mats help level the tank a bit, I'm not sure.

Yeah you're probably right, I was just being lazy.  :laugh:

On an exciting side note, I found a used Apex Gold with dosers and BO box for super cheap!  :yahoo: My  :wife: is gonna shoot me! 

• Like 1

The reason for the pad is because on a solid panel bottom, (like how my tank is as well) the smallest grain of sand or dirt can create a pressure point and crack the bottom panel once it's got some water in the tank to put weight on it. 

It's definitely necessary!

• Like 1

Yep I think all tank manufactures put something on the bottom. Even my small IM has a pad on it.

One thing I do find interesting is on your Cad system the stand comes out right above the doors for support. On the Red Sea that I looked at the tank overhung the stand :unsure: seemed kind of odd to me but I guess the tank is built for it.

Edited by spectra

I checked Marinelands web site before I setup my 25gallon frameless cube. They stated place it right on the stand with no pad.

Also as per redsea web site

The aquarium sits on a recessed base that “floats” it above the cabinet, which seamlessly follows the contour of the glass.

http://5w56d28u4co20frgwagf5y18.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/design2.jpg

Edited by BoringDave

I checked Marinelands web site before I setup my 25gallon frameless cube. They stated place it right on the stand with no pad.

Also as per redsea web site

The aquarium sits on a recessed base that “floats” it above the cabinet, which seamlessly follows the contour of the glass.

http://5w56d28u4co20frgwagf5y18.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/design2.jpg

I think you're confused, the pad has nothing to do with the tank being frameless aka rimless on the top.

The Redsea max tanks as well we the larger Marineland's all have a lower frame that is used to suspend the base of the tank from sitting flush against the stand. The smaller tanks from mainland do not have the trim and should in fact be suspended from sitting flush on the stand by using a foam pad or a piece of styrofoam.

This has been discussed at length for many years... If you call and talk to the manufacturers they will explain this to you as well.

Edited by Arsonmfg

Made a little progress last night and this morning. I'm painting the light racks white and have added 2 channels through the wall behind the tank into our master closet. I'm going to mount all of the Apex components in there to save room in the stand and keep them dry. I tried to get my wife to just let me turn the closet into a fish room but she wasn't having it  :laugh: I mounted a piece of plywood to mount everything to, should work out well.

I also hung the light just to see coverage and I'm very impressed with the ATI Led, perfect spread for this tank and nice color. 

image_zps1l3qciod.jpg

image_zpsgowjbev2.jpg

image_zpsh1snbtdq.jpg

• Like 1

Been kinda slacking on the tank due to work but stuff is starting to show up in the mail to motivate me  :agree:

image_zpsd9tsriaf.jpg

I also got all of my sand, heater, and tunze magnet for my ATO floats. I am waiting on another EB8 and all of the probes for the Apex, the guy shipped them in a separate box in case they came open.

Made a little more progress last night. I finally got the sump turned the way it needs to be, it took some shoving a praying it didn't break but it's in. 

image_zpsefhgqhc3.jpg

I bought Zwickm's Curve5 skimmer to replace the HOB skimmer Cadlights sent me, should be a good fit for this tank.

I also got the pass through done into the closet and got all of the Apex components mounted, I still need to tidy up the wires but I will be adding more and the probes so I will wait. It will be nice to have no power in the stand, everything goes into the closet. 

image_zpslqxnfg82.jpg

I will probably Re-do the plumbing like most people have. The vinyl return with no valve to control flow and the main drain with the poopy ball valve aren't ideal. Anyone have a good source for metric plumbing pieces?

I have to say, while I like the look of the tank and the construction is solid, I'm not sure I would buy another complete setup from Cadlights. The plumbing and components of the tank along with their switching things up without notifying the customer first have left a lot to be desired. Having to re-do the plumbing, force a sump in the way it's "supposed" to fit, marking up the stand, and replacing components shouldn't be part of buying a complete setup. Oh well, I have it and I love the look so I will deal with it (end rant)! 

• Like 1

Man your plumbing kit is way better the what I got. I'm also going to be redoing my plumbing when I get back from vacation.

They wouldn't trade the skimmer back for the correct one?

That sucks!

They said they sent this one on purpose because they are out of the PLS-100 until the end of august. He said it was a free upgrade  :dry: It's not an upgrade to me, especially since it doesn't fit as a hang on because of stand space and it takes up a ton of room if I run it in the sump.