Finally pulled the trigger on a big order (EEK!)

ChrisQ

Oh wow! after weeks of procrastination and research this is the best i can come up with for some of my goals and tank design. I could always use some advice please   :icon_bow:    :angel:

Nothing "tank goal" is in stone yet so to speak, but i'm leaning toward a shallow Hawaiian reef, adding two more Yellow Tangs (hopefully unique in colors and indigenous to Hawaiian waters) to make a total of three. 

The tank is 60 x 20 x 17 external bean animal

Plan to pick up a 48'' sump tomorrow 3/4 acrylic.

I know, after all this time i need to put together a build thread

I'll put the thread together as the new equipment arrives  :thumbs:

Capture32542_zpshr4bo5sm.jpg

And this one is next, the salifert if due to finally being frustrated with red sea pro and the constant fluctuations in their kits (Namely, the KH test) this along with a mistake of my own killed 80% of my sps in the last 4-5 days, some of which i've had for over a year, anyway, this, along with better husbandry skills should remedy that, i hope

Capture6578678_zpsiutyhydc.jpg

There's a bit more i'm sure and we'll get to it like my 1st thread hopefully...

Some of these things are, i hope i dont need an additional module to talk to the radion's 

and why in the world would Neptune not include the "oversized tubing" with the purchase of the Dos?

Edited by ChrisQ

Going to try and build a very shallow "false wall" (Kind of like a shadow box picture frame) wall mount that hides all the wire's from the Apex, ATO, etc

and spray adhesive a suede wrap of some sort

Also, i chose to go the route of "one" hanging kit for the Radions and adding a nice piece of aluminum to join the two fixtures

These two things i might need some assistance with to accomplish my mission (Can't access my tools and have no room to work)

Edited by ChrisQ

That's a large order alright, That Vertex Skimmer is gonna be sweet! They are built like a tank and if I ever go back to a larger tank that will be my largest investment :)

Good choices..  No free shipping? shame on BRS

anything over $175 is free economy shipping if ordered on a Monday will Arrive by Friday as they ship out of MN.

That's a large order alright, That Vertex Skimmer is gonna be sweet! They are built like a tank and if I ever go back to a larger tank that will be my largest investment :)

anything over $175 is free economy shipping if ordered on a Monday will Arrive by Friday as they ship out of MN.

I never ordered anything so big from BRS, however , he paid $28.** shipping and handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahh he wanted the Express shipping :laugh:  Someone is a little excited for their new toys!

Also on the Red Sea Pro Kits, were you shaking up the Reagents before use? I know it doesn't specify that but I was having the same issues until I did start doing that and now I have very consistent readings, With all the bashing going on with Test Kit Brands I was going to do a Video demonstrating API/Red Sea/Hanna Checkers for Alk & Cal just too prove they are all in line with each other.

Edited by Exodus

I talked with BRS about an order like this and conveyed my opinion with UPS ground ( have friends that work for UPS) and this wasn't an order i wanted shipped UPS ground, i'll gladly pay the extra $30 bucks.

They also informed me they are going to be re-vamping their shipping procedures at the beginning of next year. 

I talked with BRS about an order like this and conveyed my opinion with UPS ground ( have friends that work for UPS) and this wasn't an order i wanted shipped UPS ground, i'll gladly pay the extra $30 bucks.

They also informed me they are going to be re-vamping their shipping procedures at the beginning of next year. 

Revamping how so? Or did they not mention? I have never had any issues, they seem to do a great job at packaging everything I order. But with everything you added there $30 extra for shipping is nothing.

Revamping how so? Or did they not mention? I have never had any issues, they seem to do a great job at packaging everything I order. But with everything you added there $30 extra for shipping is nothing.

They did not mention details, but ever see a disgruntled UPS employee kick boxes across the warehouse? I have  :nono:

This is by no means a fault of BRS by the way

I used to work with FedEx Logistics years ago out at HP, and we would take in all the Packages from USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL daily and I would watch the drivers get in back and start chucking all the boxes out the back of the truck onto the warehouse floor regardless fragile or not.  :doh:  I just wonder what they have planned, I really can't imagine any of the other providers do anything exceptionally different but it's good they are looking out for the benefit of their customers, and I'm sure their out of pocket expenses on insurance claims. I really like BRS, though I have probably heard worse things going on behind the curtain of UPS than others.

Guest Bevo5

Nice list - it's my experience that it's best to just load down one big order and hit the submit button. Like ripping off a bandaid. 

Nice list - it's my experience that it's best to just load down one big order and hit the submit button. Like ripping off a bandaid. 

:tongue:  Not really, it took me weeks to pull this trigger, sooo much additional needed research

Congrats!

Yes Jeremy! i may be able to finally grow you some fine specimens that i surely owe you from our previous trades  :innocent:

Nice looking set ya got going on there.

Thanks Bret, I'm a zoa lover!

I know $30 is nothing compared with the order. I wasn't thinking about express shipping at all. Now that I am thinking about it a little different I would have probably done the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and like i was saying, i have close childhood friends that work at our local hubs that have told me horror stories, with orders like this, always pay for proper shipping.

Awe snaps!! Someone's going BIG!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

After almost 3 years and dealing with constant equipment failures due to 2nd hand sales and not choosing the right equipment to start with, i'm starting to learn :tongue:  

• Like 2

Very cool that you're upgrading to some high quality equipment, it's nice to have a bunch of brand new toys!

So I want to be clear that this is no way an attack on you, it just happens you posted a perfect example of something I've wanted to bring up for quite some time.

Everything you purchased except for the filters has what's called MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) any shop in town could of given you those exact same prices Upscales, Cuttlefish etc. and probably even covered the shipping.

The benefit of purchasing from a local store first and foremost you're supporting a local business and keeping your money local, we're all guilty of purchasing online and sometimes the deals are just too good to pass up. But the other perks of purchasing from a LFS is that you always have the support from the shop you purchased from, if there's an issue with the product and it needs to be sent in for repair, the shop takes care of it for you. A shop also has a lot more pull with the manufacturers and distributors. Have an issue after your warranty is up? Usually with most companies will work with an LFS a lot more than they will directly with the customer.

Anyways, my point is we all need to remember to support our LFS as much as possible, I've traveled all over the country and I usually stop into most any saltwater store I'd come across and most of us here have no idea how spoiled we are! We have some wonderful stores here in the northwest and without our support they may not be here forever. Jeff and Travis are definitely not getting rich owning a LFS, and summertime is always hard for everyone business wise.

SO next time you think about making any purchase, especially the big ones, think about your LFS, the guys who will always test your water for free, give you good advice on how to treat that sick fish, better your corals colors or always have that bottle in store of supplements or food you ran out of!

I couldn't imagine how much it would suck to have to purchase everything online, especially fish and corals, so next time you get ready to click an order online think about that shop that we all so easily forget about sometimes. I know it's easier to order online and ship to your house but most shops also will take a CC over the phone and the worst thing is you'll have to go pick things up from the store. Who knows you might just find your new favorite fish or coral while your there as well...

Edited by Arsonmfg
  • Like 3