I seen it for myself, peppermint shrimp are awesome!

BoringDave

I bought two peppermint shrimp in hopes they would eradicate a few aiptasia anemone. And it worked! I got them on Saturday and by today all the aiptasia is gone.

I walked out of my room on my way to work this morning, to see a shrimp yanking one out of the rock work as fast as he could and stuffing his mouth.

I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE SURVIVER!!!!!

• Like 4

Hurray for biological controls, I have a couple hawk fish that prevent me from using the shrimps services but I have seen them decimate aptasia first hand in shrimp friemdly tanks. Good feeling to see those dirty anemones conquered.

Dang that is awesome!  My son needs about 1000 peppermint shrimp to get busy!

Wish I knew how you could tell if you have a legit shrimp, our LFS around here are not as reef saavy as Portland.

This may be a helpful thread for you, as far as Peppermint Shrimp ID goes. http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/34108-wtb-proven-aiptasia-eaters/?hl=lysmata#entry341870

Lysmata wurdemanni  is the species that you want!  http://reefcorner.com/reef-database-index/mobile-invertebrate-index/peppermint-shrimp-lysmata-wurdemanni/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just removed the 2 I had. They were tearing open LPS mouths during dark hours. Careful, I thought they were harmless until I watched them kill an ultra meat, trachy and almost my bleeding apple scoly.

Yep, i just recently removed my two from the display and banished them to the sump.

I walked by and noticed one of them shredding a chalice and since they were both around the same size they both had to go.

• Like 1