Any pond builders out there?

NoobtoSalt

So I wasn't going to get fish before my trip to San Diego but found a deal on Craigslist. They were asking $60 with no pics of the fish. I decided to try my luck and drove out to aloha to get them this morning. I get there and all 3 fish are over 15". I felt bad and even though they were asking $60 I feel like I stole them and gave them an extra $20.

4d4c81f7a60f391fa3b37efb3e4b8010.jpg

284cfa9436fbb322ddca127f3e68e41e.jpg

d68855944ebd8c605e3b2f4aa95b21d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I happened to find out that the person that built this pond actually ran a koi business from this house years ago.  They outgrew it and are now located next to Shorty's Nursery in Ridge field Wa called Children of the Son Koi Fish.  We chatted today for about an hour or so and it sounds as though the owner between us had really trashed the place.  Too bad because they had all sorts of great things from what they were saying.  Anyways I'm now trying to decide if I should do a fancy filter for the pond for cleaner water or just do a DIY filter and tie it to the center intake at the bottom of the pond.  I've read mixed reviews about both but DIY would be a much cheaper alternative.  I have no issues with cleaning it more frequently.  Based on the previous owner Wes he said that the pond is about 2500 gallons and at it's prime he had about 30 large koi in it.  I don't forsee myself having that many koi and his were all high end Japanese koi.  If I go with a prebuilt filtration system it looks to be about $1000-$2000 depending on the brands etc including a UV filter.  If I do a DIY I'm guessing i could do it for about $400-$600 with 55 gallon drums.  Have any of you ever done a DIY or is it worth just spending the big lump sum and getting a prefab unit?  

When I was trying to rehab our pond I joined this forum http://www.thepondforum.com/activity.php?s=8854c087becea8e0a47410491d34bab5

Lots of great info and diy plans for filters as well as reviews, plus they have a classified section too.

I bought all the stuff at one point to build a 55g sand filter, they seemed effective and definitely cheaper.

I take care of all sorts of pond\aquariums and I would say that if you are handy with DIY I would make one. I also help take care of a local Koi breeders stock ponds and it is all DIY with the blue 55 drums. As I have said before there are many right ways to do things whether it be the actual filter you build or the filter you buy.

I maintain and installed a number of out of box filters and some of them work great, others are just hunks of plastic with foam inside. Last couple years I have installed a few Laguna Pressure flow filters on smaller ponds and they work well, provided there is not large amount of plant debris, their ease of maintenance and setup are what makes them attractive. I don't think they make them large enough for 3,000 Gallons though, There is an 8000 liter model but I always like to overshoot my filtration.

Like I said you should build one custom to your system.

If you need some ideas, call this place or visit it ( his name is Wes and tell him Tom recommended :-) )

http://www.cotskoi.com/

Or local in Beaverton: http://alljapankoi.com/( Tony ).

Just like u, in the past, I went through 800gal garden pond to 2000gal garden pond and finally settle for this ~9000 gal KOI pond (25x14x4.5).  I spent quite some $$ with tranquility store on my first 2 ponds and they all ended up some where in my yards collected dust or broke down under Sun's UV un-used.  Decide on what you want and do lot research and visit the places that I recommended ( or visit my pond ) prior any purchases or it will cost fortune and does nothing.  All these filter out there rated for 5000gal, probably is good for just 500 gal pond without any fishes....so be aware!!!  All my 9000 gal pond materials were purchased with Horizon and home depot and few things from the recommended stores above ( bottom drains, UV ).  Good luck!

So funny story.  Wes is actually the guy who built this pond at my place and he ran the business from this house for a few years before they outgrew it.  I stopped by and chatted with him for awhile the other day.  Great guy.  Looking forward to seeing what type of things I can snag from him but most of his stuff is a lot more exotic then I can afford.  Beautiful fish for sure.  

Yes the fish they sell are spendy....to much for me as they are just food for the critters of the night :unsure: I think all the local animals think my place is a dinner table.....

Other day my chickens were going nuts look outside and see a coon sitting in the top tier of the waterfall drinking.....

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm getting annoyed with the people over on the pond forum.  They seem to just keep telling me everything I have isn't going to work.  Ok so it's not all the most expensive stuff on the market but I still don't see why it wouldn't work on this pond.  If any of you have worked with Cyprio filters I just picked up one and would love to have some suggestions on how much of a pump I should add to it.  It will be hooked up to the bottom drain that comes out as a 1 1/2" flex tube.  

2286f219dde6d57407b65fb1aa4cb0df_zpsn6ss

FullSizeRender_zpsy6ticlkb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lost all of the fish last year and called it for the winter. Restarted it all again in the spring and have about 20 fish in the pond now and everything seems to be happy. The only problem I seem to have now is that the raccoons are damaging all my pond plants. Really don't want to put netting over the pond but don't know what else I can do to deter them from hanging out and breaking stuff.

8d72a09dbdc5b1f65b64d73015f982e0.jpg

I had an issue with raccoons pulling the submerged pump out of my little pond/fountain out front. They haven't in a while but when I looked into it, the best option was a little electric fence they sell at that pond shop off of 4th plain. You could put it on a timer so you don't zap the kiddos during the day. He also sold a sprinkler that had a motion detector to spray and scare them.

Option 2 is to get a trap and relocate them. My parents are going to have to do this in their back yard. ????

• Like 2

I was going to chime in on the exact things that Blue Z said. Those are really your only options and I hated all of them so I broke down and netted my pond until they  seemed to pass on to greener pastures. The motion activated "scare crow" water system is also a pain in the but if you have a number of moving targets in the vicinity, I have kids and my neighbors All have cats and dogs.

• Like 1

One of my neighbors has a live trap so I might give that a go. Just really want to walk up and enjoy the pond without covering or adding hot wires to it if at all possible. I was going to add a motion light but heard that since I'm in the city it likely won't scare them away. The bigger problem is they likely won't move on since I have about 10 100+ foot pines they live in my back yard. I have no access to them as my tallest ladder is 30 feet and I'm not messing with a raccoon on a ladder anyways..

You guys are really making me want to bring out the Mr. Miyagi hidden somewhere in me. Maybe i'll be better at that than maintaining and keeping a reef stable  :tongue:

I've always wanted a nice backyard pond like you guys have created. It's inspiring  :D

And Racoons? Haha! I have a crazy protective Manx, bring it on Raccoons!

No but really, the small electric fence seems like it would work great as i don't actually promote a Racoon Vs. Manx fight club over here, i go as far as not let him outside until around 10:30-11:00am because of this.

I think in my case if i ever decided to take the plunge and try and create one for myself, my main issue, more than likely won't be Racoons but the fact that my Manx loves to bring me his prey "and show it off to me" before he is done with it. Look Dad! as i drop a half dead field mouse on your floor to scurry across your floor running for his life, he does the same thing with Garter snakes all wrapped around his face. So i wouldn't exactly be surprised if he brought me in one of my beloved Koi unfortunately. 

You guys are really making me want to bring out the Mr. Miyagi hidden somewhere in me. Maybe i'll be better at that than maintaining and keeping a reef stable :tongue:

I've always wanted a nice backyard pond like you guys have created. It's inspiring :D

And Racoons? Haha! I have a crazy protective Manx, bring it on Raccoons!

No but really, the small electric fence seems like it would work great as i don't actually promote a Racoon Vs. Manx fight club over here, i go as far as not let him outside until around 10:30-11:00am because of this.

I think in my case if i ever decided to take the plunge and try and create one for myself, my main issue, more than likely won't be Racoons but the fact that my Manx loves to bring me his prey "and show it off to me" before he is done with it. Look Dad! as i drop a half dead field mouse on your floor to scurry across your floor running for his life, he does the same thing with Garter snakes all wrapped around his face. So i wouldn't exactly be surprised if he brought me in one of my beloved Koi unfortunately.

I know in the past that this house also had Herron in the yard searching for fish. Hope that won't be an issue. With my job I'm gone from home 3 weeks of the month now so no reef for me anytime soon. The pond is much easier to keep then the reefs I've had over the years. One of these days I will get one again but would need to pay someone to maintain it and that just takes the fun out of having one.

• Like 1