Any pond builders out there?

NoobtoSalt

So with the new house comes a very neglected pond that I want to get back to its full glory days. It does not have a pump and I've never done anything with a pond before. It appears to have a filtration system . Any help on how to plumb this as well as what size pumps u would need please let me know. The plumbing I've found is 1 1/2" spa flex tubing.

2c953fd3df57ba2899f48457cf9e3433.jpg

6bd9fdfdf62e657e265507d8344cc3fe.jpg

e69b4b38ab1c387a8f446d6a78e5b558.jpg

2998ebbf4a376845b01c2a41a6c99036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any fish still in the pond? It looks like it may need an overhaul of the water and debris that has accumulated over time, having trees overhead can make for some major clean up at times. It look like you already have a pond skimmer box installed so that is good, there is probably a small pump well behind and inside that? From there is usually the "return line" that feeds the filter or water fall. This is usually accommodated by some form of polyfiber sheet to catch debris but not always. Do you have any pics of the filter itself? If you want to run a new pump I have always loved the Danner Mag Drive models\Pond Master. They take a licking and keep on ticking and even if something was to break they are not like the cheap fire and forget models that are impossible to fix. These guys carry a whole line of replaceable parts from O rings to impeller covers. The Mag drives have an impressive head height without GPH loss and can be fully submersible. They also are able to deal with a decent particle load without choking out. Depending on what kind of flow oyu are wanting I would just grab a 2400 and you can always T some off for a UV sterilizer or smaller water feature. Pondmaster makes a number of water fall pumps that have higher GPH but it is all up to you.

There's a pond store off 4th plain by the Toyota dealer you could check out.

I actually did go to tranquility pond today. He gave me some good ideas. He suggested I drain the pond completely, fill it up, then drain it again and re plumb the pond to run with just one pump. There is no current pump setup there as of now. He suggested for me to get a 4000gph pump as an internal running inside the skimmer box.

I actually did go to tranquility pond today. He gave me some good ideas. He suggested I drain the pond completely, fill it up, then drain it again and re plumb the pond to run with just one pump. There is no current pump setup there as of now. He suggested for me to get a 4000gph pump as an internal running inside the skimmer box.

Those guys are a joke.....go out to HWY 99 and there is a pond place out there that is a mom and pop place. I buy all my stuff from them and they have never sent me in the wrong direction. I have build 2 ponds over about a 10 year period, My current set up is about 1K gallons and I run a 3500 GPH hour pump on it I think It has been a few years since I set it up :blush:

Looking at he area you have for a water fall you are going to need a bigger pump like 3K or more an hour if you want a good flow. My waterfall is about 2 feet wide on mine and 2 levels and it has good flow. I purchased the pump from a pond place over by Mall 205 but I think they are out of business now...if you have anymore questions feel free to pm me or ? I am also in Vancouver so can stop by and take a look if needed.

So this one looks like a decent pump at a reasonable cost.  The guy at tranquility pond supply suggested to get rid of the spa flex and replace all the plumbing with pond plumbing.  Looks like I can get a lot of this online at a much larger discount then local.  Hate to do it but if it's going to save me a couple hundred I'm going to buy online.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1O44E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The pond is still draining but will be turning the pump off here in a few hours so it doesn't run dry when I head to bed.  Then the kids can clean out the rest of the leaves and debris so we can see the bottom of the liner.  

Any fish still in the pond? It looks like it may need an overhaul of the water and debris that has accumulated over time, having trees overhead can make for some major clean up at times. It look like you already have a pond skimmer box installed so that is good, there is probably a small pump well behind and inside that? From there is usually the "return line" that feeds the filter or water fall. This is usually accommodated by some form of polyfiber sheet to catch debris but not always. Do you have any pics of the filter itself? If you want to run a new pump I have always loved the Danner Mag Drive models\Pond Master. They take a licking and keep on ticking and even if something was to break they are not like the cheap fire and forget models that are impossible to fix. These guys carry a whole line of replaceable parts from O rings to impeller covers. The Mag drives have an impressive head height without GPH loss and can be fully submersible. They also are able to deal with a decent particle load without choking out. Depending on what kind of flow oyu are wanting I would just grab a 2400 and you can always T some off for a UV sterilizer or smaller water feature. Pondmaster makes a number of water fall pumps that have higher GPH but it is all up to you.

I am a big fan of Danner Magdrive pumps. Like Robert says, they are very nice and easy to find replacement parts for. I am currently running them on ever system in my warehouse and several systems in my shop. I have slowly been switching to all matching Mag 24's so that I can keep replacement parts and pumps in that all match up. Very versatile pumps with many applications. You have what looks like a very good start to what will surely become an amazing pond!

• Like 1

So not just a Danner pump but get the Mag pump to run it all?  I've had Mag's over the years with my reef tanks but was looking at something stronger then the 2400 gph to run the pond.    I appreciate all the info on this.  Once this is all done I hope to get my fowlr going too.

I am a big fan of Danner Magdrive pumps. Like Robert says, they are very nice and easy to find replacement parts for. I am currently running them on ever system in my warehouse and several systems in my shop. I have slowly been switching to all matching Mag 24's so that I can keep replacement parts and pumps in that all match up. Very versatile pumps with many applications. You have what looks like a very good start to what will surely become an amazing pond!

The model you listed should work but I would make sure it has an easy to clean prefilter to it, like I said it really depends on the flow you want. Many people will run a pump for the filter and one for the water all, many right, and wrong, ways to do things just like any aquatics hobby.

So with the new house comes a very neglected pond that I want to get back to its full glory days. It does not have a pump and I've never done anything with a pond before. It appears to have a filtration system . Any help on how to plumb this as well as what size pumps u would need please let me know. The plumbing I've found is 1 1/2" spa flex tubing.

2c953fd3df57ba2899f48457cf9e3433.jpg

6bd9fdfdf62e657e265507d8344cc3fe.jpg

e69b4b38ab1c387a8f446d6a78e5b558.jpg

2998ebbf4a376845b01c2a41a6c99036.jpg

That used to be a garden pond.  Do you want to restore it back to garden pond or make it to koi pond?

It seems like that used to be a garden pond and around 1500-2000 gal pond.   That also has a skimmer, so you want to run 1 pump around  5500gal pump to split out to skimmer and filteration to save electricity bill.

If you want a koi pond?  A lot more work with bottom drains and heavier filterations.  My koi pond is ~9000gal and if you are interested for some ideas, you can come by to learn and get some ideas to do it right way; otherwise, it costs a lot more $$ to rebuild and $$ maintainance in long run. 

Edited by caolewis

The model you listed should work but I would make sure it has an easy to clean prefilter to it, like I said it really depends on the flow you want. Many people will run a pump for the filter and one for the water all, many right, and wrong, ways to do things just like any aquatics hobby.

Cool.  I will order this one for now and if I need another pump I can always add another one to the setup

That used to be a garden pond.  Do you want to restore it back to garden pond or make it to koi pond?

Have no idea what a garden pond is but I do plan on adding fish and plants to the pond.  Something else for me to research I guess.  

Cool.  I will order this one for now and if I need another pump I can always add another one to the setup

Have no idea what a garden pond is but I do plan on adding fish and plants to the pond.  Something else for me to research I guess.  

Garden pond is the one without bottom drain(s).   Bottom drains should be located at deepest point at bottom of pond  and only way to get fish waste out of the pond.

Here are attached of my old pic of my pond back 2010 when I just built it.  and newest pic of koi fishes.  If you are interested in koi pond (or garden pond ) and koi in general, come by to check out my pond and my setup prior spending your $$ on wrong equipments.  Been there and done that and it was waste $$ and no fun.

post-14297-0-33587800-1435554525_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-99592000-1435554765_thumb.jpg

Edited by caolewis

Here are attached of my old pic of my pond back 2010 when I just built it.  and newest pic of koi fishes.  If you are interested in koi pond and koi in general, come by to check out my pond and my setup prior spending your $$ on wrong equipments.  Been there and done that and it was waste $$ and no fun.attachicon.gifimage (13).jpg

post-14297-0-03271100-1435555234_thumb.jpg

Here are attached of my old pic of my pond back 2010 when I just built it. and newest pic of koi fishes. If you are interested in koi pond (or garden pond ) and koi in general, come by to check out my pond and my setup prior spending your $$ on wrong equipments. Been there and done that and it was waste $$ and no fun.

attachicon.gifimage (13).jpg

I'm just wondering when you're going to host a meeting... ;)
  • Like 1

Very impressive pond. I'm going to hold off on buying anything until I get it drained and see what I'm working with. Thanks for all the ideas so far

If you need some ideas, call this place or visit it ( his name is Wes and tell him Tom recommended :-) )

http://www.cotskoi.com/

Or local in Beaverton: http://alljapankoi.com/( Tony ).

Just like u, in the past, I went through 800gal garden pond to 2000gal garden pond and finally settle for this ~9000 gal KOI pond (25x14x4.5).  I spent quite some $$ with tranquility store on my first 2 ponds and they all ended up some where in my yards collected dust or broke down under Sun's UV un-used.  Decide on what you want and do lot research and visit the places that I recommended ( or visit my pond ) prior any purchases or it will cost fortune and does nothing.  All these filter out there rated for 5000gal, probably is good for just 500 gal pond without any fishes....so be aware!!!  All my 9000 gal pond materials were purchased with Horizon and home depot and few things from the recommended stores above ( bottom drains, UV ).  Good luck!

Edited by caolewis