Cycling issue...maybe???

ReefNoobie

I have set up a 65g tank and began cycling about 3+ weeks ago. I'm not impatient of this process, just stumped. I got some "Stability" from Premium Aquarium and had dosed that according to the directions and it states u can put fish in once dosing. I did not do this but did after the allotted 7 day dosing period. I put 2 blue damsels in and they have been doing great after a couple days of settling. Very happy, don't seem stressed at all. Have formula 1 pellets and frozen mysis shrimp I have been feeding them about every other day to avoid over feeding. So here is the question with this process.....

I have been monitoring the levels in my tank EVERY day since I put them in, saw my ammonia spike to about 1.2-1.5 or so and after 6-7 days it never dropped, so I did a water change of only 5g to avoid screwing up the process. It has gone down but I have yet to see any trace of nitrites to show me the process is still moving along.

Here are my levels:

Salinity-1.024-1.026

Ammonia-.8-1.2 (since water change)

Nitrites-0

Nitrates-almost undetectable

Phosphates: 0

Temp- 80-81

I also have a diatom bloom that was going nuts but I turned the light off for a couple days and it has slowed down.

Any input is appreciated, I know the process very well, just have read in places that nitrites have gone up and back down in a few cases so fast that the person was unable to detect them by the time they tested the water.

Had also introduced a couple snails that died, from ammonia I'm assuming, now just down to damsels again.

Thanks again for all input!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about that Stability product, but I do know that Dr. Tim's "One and Only" always works well for me. I would either quickly add some more Stability or get some Dr. Tim's next-day from Amazon and get that ammonia broken down to reduce the stress on your damsels. Of course, this will eventually happen naturally, but you'll end up stressing those fish more than necessary if you don't add more bacteria right away.

The problem with adding fish 7 days after dosing Stability is that the bacteria need some ammonia to feed on immediately---Otherwise they die. That is why they recommend adding fish or snails on day one. If you don't want to add fish on day one, you can add ammonia from a bottle or throw a deli shrimp in your tank.

Guest Bevo5

Yeah, Stability (or whatever other new, super cycling cure is out there - anyone remember when those cold packs of Bio Spira came out?)  still need a food source to work. So in essence you added bacteria to eat through ammonia/nitrite but there was nothing in the tank producing ammonia/nitrite. Now there is....so the cycle is going.

But you know all that - so anyway.

I'd just keep doing water changes at this point. You're going to extend the overall cycle time by doing that but at least the fish will be happier. Right? I've never had nitrites go so fast that you wouldn't at least see SOMETHING if you're testing daily. And if you're getting no nitrates then you aren't converting nitrites yet. 

Also never hurts to get a sponge squeeze from a store or something.....

based on examples of the few tanks i have been around from day one....  the ones that don't have issues... sit and cycle for a long time.  I know that many people get away with cycling tanks quickly... and do well.  But even people whom have had success at that with some tanks, have failed on others.

IMO....  Patients is the key to a healthy cycle.  but i am by far not nearly as experienced here as others.  Most of my experience has been helping my close friend with his addiction!

:)

And when I started cycling there was a few pieces of small raw shrimp in there a well. So there was something for the bacteria to munch on, just not a whole lot. I didn't test for about 1.5-2 weeks after I started cuz the tests I had were all expired and I was waiting for the red Sea kit to show up.

A sponge squeeze is just a little water from a cycled sponge from your LFS that you could use to seed your tank with bacteria.

It's possible that you got a bad bottle of Stability if there was a constant supply of ammonia from day 1.

Your options now are to just let the cycle continue naturally, or to give it a boost by adding some Dr. Tim's or some more Stability. Like I said earlier, I swear by the Dr. Tim's stuff. It always works for me.

I swear by the Dr. Tims nitrifying bacteria. I hope to meet the guy tomorrow.

I used live rock live sand and Dr. Tims. I never had a nitrite spike or an ammonia spike. I had diatoms for about a week and just a little bit of hair algae and I have just seen my first spot of coralline algae. Dosed ammonia for maybe a day or 2 but really didn't need to dose that much as I added fish in 2 weeks. Everything is doing well. I did lose one clownfish but do not think it had to do with the cycling process.

Update on levels:

Ammonia is .08

Nitrites are .05-.1 (color is close!)

Nitrates are 2-3 (prob 2.5 ish)

Diatoms stopped once lights were off, but have had mixed messages about leaving them on and off. Any ideas, I do have fish so I like them on in the day cuz the fish are much more active with them on!

Ya I'm hoping for that cuz I will know that it's moving forward. It's like your dog being a week old, an after 3-4 weeks, has grown at all!!! Haha, I just am hoping it's moving forward. What level will nitrites spike to. I know every tank is different, just wondering about what number is normal for cycling.