July 14th - Southern Meeting

Chief

July 14th - Madison Middle School - 2pm

875 Wilkes Dr.

Eugene Or, 97404

Mapquest

Joel's main tank is a 130 gallon cold water tank. All of Joel's inhabitants are from local waters. You can view Joel's tank build thread here.

We are trying to put together a workshop for this meeting as we have a classroom setting. More info to come.

Meeting Agenda:

Information on the Coral Farmers Market

Information on the August BBQ

Future projects

Announce our Board of Directors

Frag Swap Fundraiser

Jay

Is this the fundraiser, or telling us about one that will happen in the future (BBQ?).

dsoz :)

The fundraiser will be in the future sometime. I may be rethinking the BBQ as the best time. The temp was close to 100 degrees last year at the bbq and I would hate to put the coral in jeopardy.

Jay

I would like to do a DIY Workshop on Eductors at the southern meeting.

TRT did a thread on them last year. Here is more info.

Eductors

They create a wider flow path by drawing in more water through the eductor holes.

The result is a wide flow like a tunze produces. More info to follow.

Jay

Sounds like it will be a great meeting! My wife and I would really hate to miss it.

If anyone from the Portland area that will be going to the Eugene meeting could give us a ride, please send me a pm! We will share gas expense.

Here is a parts list:

From Geoff at TRT:

The eductors are composed of only 3 pieces. I was able to find all of them at Lowe's. No glue is required! these all use a 1/2" mpt connector to connect to your plumbing. so if you have 3/4" plumbing a 1/2" FPT to 3/4" adaptor would be needed.

Parts list 1/4":

1/4"X1/2" nylon barb to MIP adaptor A-193B made by Watts

1/2"X1/2" slip to FPT coupler PVC

1/2"X3/4" MPT to slip adaptor PVC

Parts list 3/8":

3/8"X1/2" nylon barb to MIP adaptor A-300 made by Watts

1/2"X1/2" slip to FPT coupler PVC

1/2"X3/4" MPT to slip adaptor PVC

Parts list 1/2":

1/2"X1/2" nylon barb to MIP adaptor A-387 made by Watts

3/4"X3/4" slip to FPT coupler PVC

3/4"X3/4" MPT to slip adaptor PVC

Construction is simple, and the same for all 3. The coupler is the nozzle extension. This acts as a longer travel area so that the pumped water will pull more water from around the barb. The non barb adaptor is drilled in order to allow the water be pulled in by the barb. I drilled 8 holes each 3/8" in diameter. The more holes in this the better. This is the cool part. The barb adaptor fits perfectly inside the drilled adaptor. The barb sticks into the MPT part of the adaptor. I have tried cutting of a section of the barb to see if it helps and it seems to. Right now I have it so the barb ends where the MPT part of the adaptor starts. This goes along with Weathermans notes earlier. the longer the pull area in the eductor more water that can be moved.

I am going to look for these parts tomorrow to ensure that they work. If you go out to get them, make sure they fit snuggly together. I will have some sets available at the meeting, so if you do not get out to get some parts, I will have some. If you have a cordless drill, bring it with you. That should be all we will need. Maybe a dremel if you want to get fancy.

Jay

Thanks to those who came. I learned a lot about eductors and how easy they are to make. Thanks Jay.

I'll be happy to host more meetings or just a cool workshop. We have a fabulous wood shop ready to use at a moments notice!! Maybe we should build a 5 foot skimmer next time. That might get more people out of the woodwork.