June PNWMAS Meeting/ HMSC Tour! (With Pics of previous tour)

JManrow

Saturday, June 27th.

It has all been arranged.  We will be given a behind-the-scenes tour of the Hatfield Marine Science Center, and the Aquarium Science Building!  http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor-center

This event is open to everyone! All PNWMAS Members and Forum Members, and their families!

We will all meet at the Hatfield Marine Science Center

2030 SE Marine Science Dr Newport, OR 97365  at 11:00 AM.

The HMSC Visitor opens at 10:00 AM, if people want to show up early.

The drive from the Portland/Vancouver area to HMSC in Newport is about 2 1/2 hours. Plan leaving home early enough so we can all be on time!

(I'm adding another hour to my drive, and leaving my home Sherwood at 7:30 AM... there may be many traffic with other people headed to the Coast for the day!!)

• Like 1

YES!!! Its like that folks, any one who is interested in this should by all means attend. Behind the scenes tours are always educational gems for those who want to see how things tick. You know it will be fun, and who doesn't like a trip to the coast.

• Like 1

Here are a few pics from our 2009 HMSC tour and Potluck at Yaquina Beach State Park.HMSC-OCAQ2009165.jpg

HMSC-OCAQ2009166.jpg

HMSC-OCAQ2009167.jpg

Pictured here talking with HMSC Curator in 2009, is then President Kris Waters. Also pictures are Aquarium Science director Tim Miller-Morgan, Jody Grow "reefboy", "undrtkr_00", Dave Durr "Barelycuda", and myself.

HMSC-OCAQ2009159.jpg

Our visit to Hatfield Marine Science Center in 2009, and a few pictures of locally caught fish & inverts, although some pics were taken at the Oregon Coast Aquarium located next to HMSC.

HMSC-OCAQ2009137-1.jpg

Tim Miller-Morgan

HMSC-OCAQ2009001.jpg

Dennis Glaze

HMSC-OCAQ2009005.jpg

PNWMAS members attending a workshop at HMSC. The guy with his eye on the camera is "Michael7979"

There were a few tropical tanks behind the scenes, and one in the lobby of HMSC.

HMSC-OCAQ2009007.jpg

A system using "bio-balls"...anyone remember those? ;)

HMSC-OCAQ2009010.jpg

Thanks for the pictures John! I feel like you and Bert are doing a good job going back to the roots of what this club is all about. I do hope more people can come. I know it's a long drive and road trips are fun! I am still trying to see if I can go and would try to arrange a carpool!

Please do come, if you can! It will be my pleasure to host another meeting and give you folks a back-of-the-house tour at HMSC and a tour of the AQSB as well. Dr. Tim will be in attendance and is a very personable and approachable fellow. Looking very much forward to it. See you soon!

Sid

I had a great time at the meeting last year. Hopefully the turn out is better then the two members last year. Hopefully the Tour will include the visit to the community college as that was a high light.

Two? lol We never had less than 35 or so every time we went! It will be great!

In the past after the tours, we have always had a Potluck across the bridge at Yaquina Bay State Park and Lighthouse, just a ways past the first parking lot. We usually started around 3PM, but we can possibly meet earlier, depending on what time the tours are over. We want to do this every year!

We had a big Clam & Oyster feed, and when most people brought main dishes, deserts, and drinks, there was more than enough or everyone. We  need main dishes, side dishes like salads and desserts. There are BBQ grills there. I have a camp stove. Does anyone have a big kettle, like 5 gallons or so, to throw in some clams and oysters?

Here is a map with directions from the HMSC/ Oregon Coast Aquarium area. https://maps.yahoo.com/directions/?lat=44.61949369265395&lon=-124.05938744544983&bb=44.62311335%2C-124.06887174%2C44.61588908%2C-124.04990315&o=2820%20SE%20Ferry%20Slip%20Road%2C%20Newport%2C%20OR%2097365&d=Yaquina%20Bay%20State%20Park%2C%20Newport%2C%20OR

The picnic tables and BBQ area is located on Yaquina Beach State Park Rd. that loops by the Lighthouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that everyone is ready for the behind-the-scenes tour of the Hatfield Marine Science Center, and the Aquarium Science Building!

Our Potluck/BBQ will follow immediately afterwards at Yaquina State Beach Recreation Area, located right across the bridge north of HMSC! https://www.google.com/maps/place/44%C2%B037%2735.1%22N+124%C2%B003%2741.8%22W/@44.6275525,-124.0690424,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

The club will provide burgers, hot dogs. and drinks! We will also have plates and utensils.

Bring your favorite main dish, side dish, salad or dessert to share! See you all there!

• Like 1