40 Mini Fusion Bonsai Style

titus'reef

I finally decided to start a new topic about my tank. :nutty:

After running this tank for a year and never changing the water one day I decided to start fresh again, but this time very fresh.

I took out all the rock (it was full of aiptasia and infested with brissle worms) I threw it in a bucket and poured boiled water over it.. after which I kept it in another bucket of bleach for about 3 days. 

I kept the rock in RODI water with dechlorinator and a powerhead for a week, or so, to make sure all the bleach is gone and than I dried the rock for a few days. than keep it in salt water and powerhead for 2 month to cure. 

40 mini fusion with the original pump for return.

I am running the Tunze 9004 protein skimmer witch fits perfect in the back.  

Two Jebao wp10 for water circulation which is overkill.

I already get some water moving with the original return pump and 2 spin stream flow nozzles

I have one CustomCaddy for the filtration

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO

AI Hydra with wireless controller for light with a DIY support 

I am planing to take my time with this and do things right this time. Not that I didn't know how to last time, but I simply didn't have the time for it. New house and lots of work  :D.

I will post pictures not as they have 1000 words. 

Yep cool rickwork!

How did you get the rod to stick to the acrylic base? I have tried that before with no success.

Good luck, a fresh start is a great idea.

I had tap plastic drill for me the exact whole dimensions for the half inch rod. The base has 2 pieces one is larger and the other on is smaller for more stability. That way it won't show true the sand.

I think I used half inch acrylic with Weldon 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rock is probably leaching some nitrate.

When I was curing the rock I was testing and the nitrates we're going down. From 50 to 25 to almost nothing. I used new Fiji Pink sand and I added some live bacteria Instant ocean Bio Spira to help with the cycle. Do you thing that's what actually caused the nitrate?

mmmm ok now I want to try that on my tank. Could you do the same but just gluing the rocks together?

I don't thing epoxy or any glue will be as strong as acrylic road. As you are trying to glue corals and as it gets heavier it will eventually crash. It can crack the bottom of the tank.

I keep the light off on the tank for now. Is that a good idea?

The tank is still in the cycle process and I don't know how to do it anymore. I put some food there to start the cycle. That's all I did up to this point.

What's your opinion?

I keep the light off on the tank for now. Is that a good idea?

The tank is still in the cycle process and I don't know how to do it anymore. I put some food there to start the cycle. That's all I did up to this point.

What's your opinion?

Food will work. You can also dose with straight ammonia. You just need to keep a steady ammonia source in the tank to help the bacteria proliferate. If dosing ammonia, you want to be sure and not go higher than 3 or 4 ppm because the ammonia will actually start working as an antiseptic and kill bacteria....which you obviously would not want.