Exodus New Tank Upgrade

Exodus

Well as I have told a few and as Robert mentioned I am currently in the process of a tank upgrade So I decided I would start a new thread for updates and pictures. I was originally looking at getting a picO 20g and was talking to Chris on having it made but decided to back out at the last minute with the pricing as it would have been $299.99 + $55 Shipping and $350 just seems to hard to justify for a 20 Gallon AIO Nano. I recently found a deal Fosters was having for the JBJ 30Gallon Rimless & Stand on sale for a total of $289.99 With Free shipping... Just seems like a better deal to be honest. I don't doubt Chris's work at PicO but seriously this hobby is expensive enough as it is.

So it was the PicO vs The JBJ & The JBJ for better pricing seemed to be the best option

RlSmU1X.jpg                                                       PYMFqnb.jpg

My only real concern was the AIO filtration difference. The picO has 1 intake into the compartment in which would be a nice spot to place the Skimmer, where all water taken through would circulate in 1 direction. On the other hand the JBJ has an intake on both corners meaning 1 side would go through the skimmer while the other side would go through a media basket not necessarily guaranteeing all water would eventually make its way through the skimmer  :unsure: So I'm not sure if this really matters in the broader picture.  I also like even flat edges in comparison to the rounded corners which are a pain to clean algae from, but the larger space will allow for many more options and fish species.

So the equipment is as follows:

(Already on Hand)

Vortech Mp10

Apex Jr w/ PM2 Module, PM1 Module, Breakout Box

JBJ ATO w/ Aqualifter pump

(Equipment to Buy)

Kessil A360WE

Apex VDM Module

Cad Lights Pls 50 Elite pipe-less Skimmer

I obviously don't have the tank quite yet and a few parts for it, but just figured might as well start a thread that entails beginning to finish :)

• Like 1

Very nice, going with the sleek rimless tank. I would have preferred the extra 50% more volume as well, more fish , more corals, more leeway in general. But then again I see you are going with a little automation so that will keep maintenance down some. Looking forward to what you end up doing with the setup, I know you pay attention to detail.

First batch of equipment arrived today

QD3idsY.jpg

Got the Kessil with Controller & Gooseneck for $375, and new price for the skimmer of course.

I also did pick up the tank tonight as well but didn't really have time to snap a pic as they are still in the back of my car but when I get the time to unload will do so. Next up is the BRS Dual Reactor will probably order before the week ends.

Well, I got the Tank unloaded and stand assembled today. It turns out its much bigger than I had anticipated but I certainly cant gripe how about how much I got for how little i paid :) The only issue right now is I have to fill this... I have one 5 gallon bucket and 30 gallons to make up....... yeah so If anyone in the Albany area wouldn't mind lending me a Trashcan for a Day :fingerscrossed:

VnvnILR.jpg

I'm cruising from Salem into Corvallis and back. I can bring you a brute can. PM'd you my number

Andrew you are the best!!! Thanks for meeting up with me like that you have been a huge help in my upgrade with the 10 Gallon and now the trash can! I hope someday I will be able to return the favor!

Yeah, if he does not get you covered I have a Plethora of 5 gallon buckets I could loan you for the tank setup.

Thanks Robert! I really appreciate you offering up the buckets :) I'm glad to know if things fell through you had my back :)

• Like 1

How are you going to set up the BRS dual reactor to the tank? Is the MJ 1200 going to push enough water if you hide the reactor underneath the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bring up an excellent point, same exact question I had before choosing the BRS. A friend of Mine has the exact identical setup as this with the 1200 Cobalt on a Dual BRS and asking him he stated there was more than enough flow on it. He uses BRS's calculator for ROX & GFO with only small amount in it and has had it going for the last few months now.

It has been a very long day, Salt mixed and new tank filled! The sand Storm is pretty bad as it was all new sand and nothing in there I really didn't care to soften the waters fall into the tank :D When it clears up (prob tomorrow) I will post a pic. In the meantime while cycling My livestock has a new home in a 10 Gallon in effort to ensure we remove them from the Dino's as well, they will have the reactor hooked up for 30 min and 2 small water chances weekly.

8B5ubYB.jpg

Sweet tank! I will be following along. New tanks are exciting! All shiny and new!

Lol That's not the new Tank. That's the temporary 10 Gallon Home while the new tank cycles

I will post a pic of the new Tank tomorrow when all the sand settles. :)

• Like 1

You did show me that pic, in the one posted here I was unsure if that was the same one. In the pic of it in the ten gallon, from a distance it looks very green but that is probably just the blue lighting acting up, killer piece man, puts mine to shame.

Woke up this morning and it was still a sand storm in full force, figured I should do something I bought a couple of Fluval polishing pads and stuck them directly under the overflows and within an hour I could actually see the rock in there :) That at least tells me the water definitely has adequate flow. This is just a quick snap nothing special, the tank is full of water now and will be adding ammonia to the tank today.

k1i1d5c.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

Tank still cycling :dry:  I'm gonna pick up a bunch of live rock on Monday, raise the Ammonia up to 2ppm and let it settle and we should be set.

I finished ordering the last of the Equipment for the Tank, after much consideration I decided to only do the mini reactor rather than the BRS dual reactor primarily for the real-estate aspect. The 30g requirements for both the GFO/Carbon are so small no point in wasting all that space with a bunch of extra plastic, and the amount of GFO I will be tossing before the end of it's life will be a very small. I also decided on a Jebao Dosing unit and got a decent package deal off of eBay with everything needed, the reviews for Jebao have been good and for the amount I paid, if it goes bad I can buy 2 more before I get to the price of the bigger name dosing units. Also got in the Magnafuge by IM and have it on the tank, Really liking its profile, build quality, and the amount of light it puts out for only 6 watts. I think Cheato will be just fine.

fwAx8Hn.jpg

Well It's been a few weeks, tank is coming close to the end of it's cycle and in the meantime I decided why not use the new Skimmer on the 10G I'm currently housing the livestock in. After a couple weeks I think its breaking in pretty nicely

mfydJhW.jpg?1

Still a little tea looking but quite a bit of skim it's pulling! I am actually impressed for a Nano Skimmer, most of the ones on the market aimed at nano tanks are crap.