DC pump or reeflo dart?

The ReefBox

A question to all..with the new tank build I am looking at return pumps. My options are to

A. Have a smaller sump and use an external Reeflo Dart with brand new seals or

B. Larger sump and use 1/2 DC pumps.

Thoughts? I have an idea of what direction I am leaning but would like to hear others thoughts and reasons why they would use one or the other

I just went with the Jecod DCT 15000 for my new 250 gal build... man! Silent, and it MOVES some water! Very happy with my choice... oh, only $150, too!

Steve!  Your build is rolling, I gotta get down and see it, dang.

In an odd twist of fate, I will be needing to restock at some point.  Good timing ;)

A question to all..with the new tank build I am looking at return pumps. My options are to

A. Have a smaller sump and use an external Reeflo Dart with brand new seals or

B. Larger sump and use 1/2 DC pumps.

Thoughts? I have an idea of what direction I am leaning but would like to hear others thoughts and reasons why they would use one or the other

I am a big DC pump fan, well invested here.

However, I was at Roy/Stylaster's house this weekend and his Reeflo Hammerhead was humming away.  Asked him how long it has been running.  Answer?  3 years without issue.  So it is a work horse for sure.

My return pump looks like it lasted about 2 years.  At 100 bucks though, I could afford to have a spare on hand when it went out.  Coincidentally when we were at the airport on the way to vacation. 

So if you do go the DC route, which I would again, be sure to buy a spare and have it available for someone when you are out of town.

My opinion for what its worth...

I am a big DC pump fan, well invested here.

However, I was at Roy/Stylaster's house this weekend and his Reeflo Hammerhead was humming away.  Asked him how long it has been running.  Answer?  3 years without issue.  So it is a work horse for sure.

My return pump looks like it lasted about 2 years.  At 100 bucks though, I could afford to have a spare on hand when it went out.  Coincidentally when we were at the airport on the way to vacation. 

So if you do go the DC route, which I would again, be sure to buy a spare and have it available for someone when you are out of town.

My opinion for what its worth...

Notice any heat issues with the DC and I assume using it internally ?

DCT15000 is the biggest I believe at nearly 4000 GPH claimed.

If you are going to order online, 150 at fish street shipped from NJ or CA.

Many of the local fish stores can also order it in as well.

http://www.fish-street.com/jebaojecod_dc_water_return_pump_us_delivery_canj_warehouse

I might sell mine, sticking with the 12000s for now as I use the same pump for return and skimmer and this thing is too much horsepower for the skimmer...

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/34060-jebao-dct-15000/

That way one spare works for both.

DCT15000 is the biggest I believe at nearly 4000 GPH claimed.

If you are going to order online, 150 at fish street shipped from NJ or CA.

Many of the local fish stores can also order it in as well.

http://www.fish-street.com/jebaojecod_dc_water_return_pump_us_delivery_canj_warehouse

I might sell mine, sticking with the 12000s for now as I use the same pump for return and skimmer and this thing is too much horsepower for the skimmer...

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/34060-jebao-dct-15000/

That way one spare works for both.

How much you thinks? How much time on it? What's the thread size ?

I would let it go for 120 bucks, 

It has never even touched water or been turned on, brand new.

Threads are 2", it is a big fella.

I decided to stick with 12000 for standardization otherwise this would be my goto pump.

Redundant pumps are a great way to go!  make sure to put a check on each one.  You can do lead/lag, lead/standby, running spare, etc.  Personally, I like the reeflo pumps due to servicability and the baldor motors are VFD rated.  Keeping head pressure down with good plumbing practice/limited height difference keeps the GPW (Gallons per Watt) competitive on the hybrid pumps.

Redundant pumps are a great way to go!  make sure to put a check on each one.  You can do lead/lag, lead/standby, running spare, etc.  Personally, I like the reeflo pumps due to servicability and the baldor motors are VFD rated.  Keeping head pressure down with good plumbing practice/limited height difference keeps the GPW (Gallons per Watt) competitive on the hybrid pumps.

What is a good way to plumb them together, I would love to have one sitting there powered off, ready to put in service if things go bad.  I think you are hinting at how to do this but I need kindergarten level concepts ;)

Or in software terms an active/passive setup.  I think you are talking active/active which is also interesting..

So bomber if you were setting up a high end tank would you sacrifice a little smaller sump to fit the dart in or go bigger sump and run aDC pump?

Jeremy. Apex could turn one pump on if another fails. I'm not sure how the program would go but I'm sure one of the guys on the forumn who is a lot smarter than me can help there!!!

So bomber if you were setting up a high end tank would you sacrifice a little smaller sump to fit the dart in or go bigger sump and run aDC pump?

Jeremy. Apex could turn one pump on if another fails. I'm not sure how the program would go but I'm sure one of the guys on the forumn who is a lot smarter than me can help there!!!

True, but the plumbing is interesting to me as well.

Was thinking, a simple setup could be

Each pump with a gate valve on the output.  One closed and pump turned off.  instructions to tank sitter on failure:

1)  Turn off failed pump

2)  Close failed pump valve

3)  Open backup pump valve

4)  Turn on backup pump

Or something like that.

My APEX setup is fairly extreme as you would expect for a software guy with reef tanks  :nutty:  :congratulatory:

My last failure was rough on the tank sitter as the plumbing was hard to access (Dad)

PS:  DCT-15000 is SOLD!!

It depends on the application, but the dart is going to be louder for sure.  most of my stuff runs in the garage so I'm not concerned about noise.  I helped Shutterfish set up his DC return pump with the design priorities being overflow safety and noise.  His tank was set up with a Herby drain, and we put in an internal DC pump with spa flex coupling for vibration reduction.  A few nice features of running internal are noise dampening, heat recovery from the pump, and ease of replacement.

If you want to set up a lead/standby pump you run both pumps in parallel with a check valve on the high side of each pump then pipe back together on both sides.  To know if the pump failed you can do a few different things:

Pump current transducer (CT) on the power wire for current status.  When the pump stalls out, the current drops enough to de-energize the CT.

Flow switch or pressure switch on the high pressure side to determine if you have pump pressure

Sump high level switch which tells you the pump may be off, so switch to the standby.

In reef tanks, the high sump level makes the most sense.  Flow switches for saltwater applications are hard to find or expensive.  CT's are better suited for larger pumps (1/8HP and greater).

Haha, your post showed up while I was typing mine.

You have the controller, you might as well automate failure switchover if you are going to do it :)

When automating a spare, also remember to equalize run times.  So program in a manual switchover, or a scheduled (for instance: every other Monday at 9am).

One other idea:  If you pipe in the intake of each pump seperately and your overflow can handle the additional flow, look into the feasibility of running both for 15-30 minutes once a week as an "autoclean" function.  Crank your flow and stir everything up.

Haha, your post showed up while I was typing mine.

You have the controller, you might as well automate failure switchover if you are going to do it :)

When automating a spare, also remember to equalize run times.  So program in a manual switchover, or a scheduled (for instance: every other Monday at 9am).

One other idea:  If you pipe in the intake of each pump seperately and your overflow can handle the additional flow, look into the feasibility of running both for 15-30 minutes once a week as an "autoclean" function.  Crank your flow and stir everything up.

Great ideas as always, thanks!