Lets talk check valves

tanktop74

Are they all created equal? :unsure:

I ordered  a true union check valve on amazon.... it arrived today and its a ball check valve.  I for one have never seen one like this before.... AND 2nd.... Will i still get enough flow? 

Should I run it anyway or should I return it and get the much more expensive flapper kind?

Thanks for the input

pics?

Im using the true union clear PVC swing check valve.

31i7kDsfUCL.jpg

If nothing else...looks cool. No complaints from me, been using it for about 14 months and had multiple outages.

I dont agree that these are unnecessary, and that a bigger sump is the only answer...For me, my sump is big enough, but I don't want any water coming back to my sump if the main pump fails....my skimmer is oober sensitive to higher than normal water, and will just start overflowing like crazy. Check valve....check! That being said, it would still be impossible to overflow my sump when the check valve fails....because like Arson said, its not if, but when!

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 2

pics?

31i7kDsfUCL.jpg

If nothing else...looks cool. No complaints from me, been using it for about 14 months and had multiple outages.

I dont agree that these are unnecessary, and that a bigger sump is the only answer...For me, my sump is big enough, but I don't want any water coming back to my sump if the main pump fails....my skimmer is oober sensitive to higher than normal water, and will just start overflowing like crazy. Check valve....check! That being said, it would still be impossible to overflow my sump when the check valve fails....because like Arson said, its not if, but when!

Mine looks similar only instead of a flap its a ball in the center that falls down when power goes out.

pics?

31i7kDsfUCL.jpg

Bingo! Guess I should of added there's nothing wrong with using one just NEVER rely on one because it will fail at the worst possible time, it's just how things seem to happen.

Bingo! Guess I should of added there's nothing wrong with using one just NEVER rely on one because it will fail at the worst possible time, it's just how things seem to happen.

Ain't that the truth. Nothing ever happens until your out of town or at work or some crap. My tank had been up 6 months now, stable. And the one day I travel for work it starts to over heat. Figures.

I used a flapper on my return. I thought the others had metal springs or something so the flappers were the only choice? Definitely get one with unions, I did not do that...and my plumbing is a nightmare if fixes ever need to be made lol. Saving the knowledge for the next big tank build sometime in the future.

The ball type are typical of industrial piping.  They work great and you don't have to worry about making a bad seal which causes the check flap to oscillate.  I had that happen on my old setup a couple times, again, why we drill siphon breaks or set a nozzle near surface level.

If your sump capacity is undersized you can always take into consideration water height on your overflow weir teeth.  Lower return flow (if practical) can make 1/2"-3/4" water difference and keep you in the tank.  Siphon breaks are a biggie too.

• Like 1

The ball type are typical of industrial piping.  They work great and you don't have to worry about making a bad seal which causes the check flap to oscillate.  I had that happen on my old setup a couple times, again, why we drill siphon breaks or set a nozzle near surface level.

If your sump capacity is undersized you can always take into consideration water height on your overflow weir teeth.  Lower return flow (if practical) can make 1/2"-3/4" water difference and keep you in the tank.  Siphon breaks are a biggie too.

So if I undersand you, the ball type is a good option and I should just use it.  there are not metal parts to it, I took it all apart on my lunch to look.  And if my sump is not big enough I will look at the overflow teeth.  Also have adjustable return pump so I could lower the amount being pumped in there and use powerheads to increase in take flow.