Anyone ever retrofit a SWC skimmer with different pump......

The ReefBox

Has anyone ever retrofitted a SWC skimmer (230 space saver design) that has pump internal with say a bubble blaster 3000 or 5000 and mounted pump externally like most skimmers? It looks like it came with an askoll 1500 initially and appears to be a hard pump to find. Let me know if you have done this and pictures if you have them

I did a retro fit on a 250 with a BB 3000 and it rocked, I think the 5000 would be waaaaaay too much but I haven't tried it so I can't be positive.

The Askoll is nothing more than a VERY expensive modified laguna pump... and yes they're hard to find!

I'd say the BB worked just as good if not better than the Askoll.

I've the SWC 250 1A cone

http://www.swcskimmers.com/product10.html

It had the Askoll 1500 and when the motor died I swapped it out and added the bubble blaster 5000 it's internal meaning in the sump-when you mention external you mean outside of the sump yes??

I assume the space saver is inside the body or maybe below??

Seal the hole from the old pump, drill a hole in the side of the body, add a uni-seal and plumb the BB with PVC going into the uni-seal

That make sense

I've the SWC 250 1A cone

http://www.swcskimmers.com/product10.html

It had the Askoll 1500 and when the motor died I swapped it out and added the bubble blaster 5000 it's internal meaning in the sump-when you mention external you mean outside of the sump yes??

I assume the space saver is inside the body or maybe below??

Seal the hole from the old pump, drill [Name Calling and Personal Attacks are not allowed on PNWMAS forums.] in the side of the body, add a uni-seal and plumb the BB with PVC going into the uni-seal

That make sense

Makes total sense how would you seal up the hole? You wanna volunteer to give me a hand and yes the space saver was inside the skimmer

You could always just put a small piece of acrylic over the old hole with a little weldon.

Be very gentile drilling the hole, once acrylic has had a chance to absorb water and has some age it'll be brittle and will be really easy to crack the whole body when drilling.