Reef Controller?

Paratore

I am thinking about adding a controller to either my reef or my dads reef but I am not sure if its worth the money. Mostly adding this thread to see what peoples opinions are about their controllers. Would you guys recommend them? Which one? Just let me know what your experience has been with them. 

Thank you in advance!

Yes, they are well worth the investment!

From what I've seen, the Apex is a better choice. I have a Digital Aquatics Archon and have mixed feelings about it. For a basic cheap controller the Reef Keeper Lite is a great choice. Apex just has nicer graphs and software features than the archon does (which is slowly developing as it goes). Both can be tricky to setup initially but lots of people here can help.

I'm recently new to the tank controller stuff. Purchased an Apex junior and right off the bat purchased the Ph probe and controller. I am just hoping it will help eliminate disasters as well as automate will post my experiences as I use it more. Already considering an eb8 because I want more CONTROL! Muahahaha!!

Right now it's controlling the fuge light return pump skimmer and and the heater, I have left the main tank light to control, and the power heads, as well as my auto top off.

I love the feed features really helps to not go unplugging things. And I love the control of the light. Soon to be a kessil to have more control as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a reefkeeper elite with all sorts of add ons. I originally got the lite because it is a bargain. If you can live with only what it offers its a great package. However, with the investment I've made in where I'm at, the apex would have been a lower cost investment. I think the reefkeeper is easier and more intuitive to use than the apex though based on what I've seen and heard. Though if you're familiar with basic programming I guess the apex is easy to figure out.

I started with the reefkeeper and truly liked it (not the Archon, that is a whole new animal).  

Then I picked up an APEX and was truly hooked.

Just for a mini example, here is how the skimmer behaves on the apex:

If the return pump is off, turn off the skimmer

If the return pump turns on, delay skimmer start for 2 minutes (allow sump level to lower)

If the skimmer float switch is open, turn off the skimmer

If the skimmer float switch is open, send a text alert

If the APEX is running on battery power, turn off the skimmer

The power and flexibility of the apex is amazing.  This is just a dead simple example.  Calcium reactors are another killer one, the list goes on and on.

There are many controllers coming on the scene as well including the Archon.  I personally think a little competition will be a good thing, keeping prices a bit more reasonable and pushes innovation.

You will not regret it for sure, everything is great except for the price $$ but we all have glass or acrylic money pits around here so you are in good company!

I've never run a tank without one. My first was a Neptune systems Aqua controller jr. I was satisfied with what limited stuff it did giving it provided some sense of piece of mind. My current tank runs off an apex, I love it. Being able to see my tanks Params at my fingertips is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

• Like 1

Guest Bevo5

I only have experience with the apex....but here are my thoughts on it. It's a bit pricier. I remember when I was doing research I asked the same types of questions and someone made the suggestion that you should buy for the controller you'll need in a year, not the one you want to try now. THat is sage advice. I bought the junior and I'm out of expansion modules already. They limit you at 4. Plus, buying all the bits and pieces adds up. I wish I would have started with a higher unit. But anyway...it's expensive.

Thing is - super easy. Basically plug and play. I had some issues linking my ecotech stuff, but I worked through it with their online forums, and it's all good now. Apex Fusion (their online portal) is awesome. I can access the controller from any device and see all the levels, turn things on/off, reprogram etc. It's great.

Really the only drawback is the price. Here's the real test though - look and see how many used units and stuff are for sale. You wont find anything. Sure they come up every now and then but they're snatched up just as fast. That should tell you a lot about how much people love these things. 

Anyway. Go for it. 

• Like 1

This is kinda like the refugium question, if you can have\afford one why not. There are no negatives to being able to monitor or control things in my opinion. Now is it mandatory, No. many people run very nice tanks without one they just pay more attention to their systems.

As people have recommended go for something better than a Jr or basic unit as from what I gather you seem like some one who will be upgrading\adding on again soon. Lights, skimmer, sump, frag tank, and now a controller, next is a display tank...

Someone must have gotten a raise.

I only have experience with the apex....but here are my thoughts on it. It's a bit pricier. I remember when I was doing research I asked the same types of questions and someone made the suggestion that you should buy for the controller you'll need in a year, not the one you want to try now. THat is sage advice. I bought the junior and I'm out of expansion modules already. They limit you at 4. Plus, buying all the bits and pieces adds up. I wish I would have started with a higher unit. But anyway...it's expensive.

Thing is - super easy. Basically plug and play. I had some issues linking my ecotech stuff, but I worked through it with their online forums, and it's all good now. Apex Fusion (their online portal) is awesome. I can access the controller from any device and see all the levels, turn things on/off, reprogram etc. It's great.

Really the only drawback is the price. Here's the real test though - look and see how many used units and stuff are for sale. You wont find anything. Sure they come up every now and then but they're snatched up just as fast. That should tell you a lot about how much people love these things. 

Anyway. Go for it. 

Man the apex does sound pretty awesome, thank you for all the feed back! correct me if I am wrong but the apex website and mobile site work on macs and apple devices right?

This is kinda like the refugium question, if you can have\afford one why not. There are no negatives to being able to monitor or control things in my opinion. Now is it mandatory, No. many people run very nice tanks without one they just pay more attention to their systems.

As people have recommended go for something better than a Jr or basic unit as from what I gather you seem like some one who will be upgrading\adding on again soon. Lights, skimmer, sump, frag tank, and now a controller, next is a display tank...

Someone must have gotten a raise.

haha I have had so many questions because I am reducing some stuff on my system such as the lights and sump but some of the other questions like this one are long term plans since I do not have my dream system yet due to living in my fraternity. I like to dream of my future system in a couple years. A lot of these questions also apply to my dads tank. He is not very knowledgeable in the saltwater world and he is wanting to get into reefing so I am helping him set his system back up since he was only a fish guy before. He is the kind of guy who likes to just enjoy the tank without doing much to it so I am trying to help him set up a pretty automated tank and figured a controller would be perfect for him. I actually can't set up a frag tank anymore :sad: My roommates said it was to many tanks in our room lol!

Im going to be working a lot more so I figured I would spoil myself and get a better skimmer and lights for getting into SPS haha.  :D

Just ask her to keep the frag tank at her house and be like, come on honey, this way we will have quality time "all the time".

And I think many of us here are addicts in one form or another, it is just a matter of how deep you get into it, I for one ave admitted I have had a problem years ago, and that is the first step.

I am not yet prepared to take the second step, recognizing a higher power that can restore sanity.

Right now the higher power I think of is the divers and coral farmers propagating more frags for me to get my hands on...That, gives me sanity.

Just ask her to keep the frag tank at her house and be like, come on honey, this way we will have quality time "all the time".

And I think many of us here are addicts in one form or another, it is just a matter of how deep you get into it, I for one ave admitted I have had a problem years ago, and that is the first step.

I am not yet prepared to take the second step, recognizing a higher power that can restore sanity.

Right now the higher power I think of is the divers and coral farmers propagating more frags for me to get my hands on...That, gives me sanity.

hahahaha spoken like a true reef addict. I haven't reached your level yet but give me a few years and I bet I will get there. 

hahahaha spoken like a true reef addict. I haven't reached your level yet but give me a few years and I bet I will get there. 

don't know anyone at my level of addiction, I know they are out there but I have yet to actually meet them.

It can be life consuming.

Amen, brother!

If you like coding, play with electronic, and save lots of $$$... Do a DIY controller with audrino mega. Total cost less than $200 and building it is just as entertaining as the reef tank itself.

Here are a small list of features I programmed:

-Skimmer pump turn off if sump level increased by 0.5" and restart when sump level is within.

-Skimmer pump off for 3hrs if skimmate rate is high.

-skimmer pump off if skimmate is full

-wave pump intensity sync to moon phase

-wave pump oscillation frequency randomized 4 times per day with auto slight variation to prevent splash out.

-LED control for sunrise, peak, cloud cover, sunset, moon phase.

-pH controlled kalk ATO

-Temp controlled heater and fan

-Control auto feeder 3x daily and pause return pump 10min

-SMS warnings and log all data every 10min

-upon power restored from outage.. retrieve time from internet and auto recover operation.

Edited by danlu_gt

If you like coding, play with electronic, and save lots of $$$... Do a DIY controller with audrino mega. Total cost less than $200 and building it is just as entertaining as the reef tank itself.

-Skimmer pump turn off if sump level increased by 0.5" and restart when sump level is within.

-wave pump oscillation frequency randomized 4 times per day with auto slight variation to prevent splash out.

-pH controlled kalk ATO

-upon power restored from outage.. retrieve time from internet and auto recover operation.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

-pH controlled kalk ATO

I saw your post on FB, mad props to you! Wish I remembered programming better :(

Didn't you have an App functioning too?