Dave's Deep Sea Aquatic Neo 65 Pro build

BoringDave

Finally got it after 9 weeks of waiting!!

Right from the start I'm going to tell anyone that wants to order a DSA tank Don't!!! Unless your in no hurry and don't want what you ordered.

I ordered this tank from one of the best retail shops in town and he had nothing but problems with them. I do not blame the retail shop one bit he did his best and made good by throwing in some extras for free. Also not making me pay for what was left of the bill that I owed him.

So on with the build!

Plans main display as shown with a Marineland frameless 25 gallon cube as a display refugium. Above the refugium I will install a matching 1/4 door to block the light from escaping. I am also going to trim the door opening to make it look better.

Stay tuned.

cb57859e3cfee3366c22d916332467f6.jpg

So I have already ran into a problem. I live in a double wide manufactured home. (I know poor white trash) and come to find out the house has got the gangsta lean in the center where I chose to place the aquarium.

72f92e97b91236c9ecba4a52f79f9b4d.jpg

bf3dfd82bbe0836cc3b7e4340fb81c86.jpg

So now I do t quite know what I should do. Crawl under the house and start screwing up the jacks and hammering in the shims or just shim the stand? It's only 1/4" but it will bother me not having a rim to hide the water line.

How deep is the tank front to back? You can get 16" shims that are 3/8" thick. Cut a stringer for the back to the height you need for a total foot print shim.. Just a thought... Or you can allways do what i have done. Fill the tank with water an let it sit for a cpl. Days to see how it settles first. Mfg. Homes can really move around with weight

I wouldn't be able to wait longer, I'd shim that sucker up and start filling it.

You can always get creative to hid the shimmed part if need be. I'm not an engineer at dont play one TV so I wouldn't have a clue as to the possibilities of getting under the house with a 4x4 and some bottle jacks-sounds fun though ;)

Congrats on the new tank!

I do have an over weight basset hound but I don't think he can offset half of a house.

So, I decided to do a bit more measuring. Just to find out both sides of my fine poor white trash housing complex is leaning to the center like an old worn out over worked king mattress. This may also explain the cracks in the ceiling? Haha!

In all reality I never bought this place for the actual house it just came with the property. My wife and I are just making due with what we have until we retire. At that point we plan to move it out and have a real home built or just sell it and move into a motorhome.

• Like 1

Toilet shims are plastic and won't degrade due to splashes, someone recommended them to me, I now do the same.  There are also plastic shims near the wood ones at home depot that are black and easier to hide.

Two of my tanks are in this same boat and shimmed, not a manufactured house either!  Probably a bowed floor hahah...

Use allot of them to spread out the load, you should be good to go!

PS:  Nice looking setup!

Edited by theclark
  • Like 1

Great!

Each one you put down spreads the load I suppose between itself and the others.  Is 8 enough?  I would think so at one every six inches but really have no authority to weigh in on that other than 'gut'.  I might call it good, but knowing me I would add 8 more because it is just the way I am  :nutty:

Still haven't installed a

Second set of shims yet. But I did cut some plywood and installed it under where the cube refugium is going to be placed. It needed to be an inch higher so it will drain into the sump better.

4cfeb5117f4d79315f6c2a766d21be8b.jpg

Still needs paint.

Also started on the plumbing. Have not quite figured out what I'm doing yet so most of its PVC threaded so I can change it if necessary.

4237403737f62afb08cbf3b1a966a9ab.jpg

Hopefully I collect up the rest of the things I need and it will all be together by Sunday.

Well, things didn't go as planned this weekend. Broke the 25 gallon Marineland cube I was using for a refugium. Plumbing the return I couldn't find flexible enough hose or a true Y connector to feed the duel returns. oh, also my hinged light stand didn't pan out. But other then all those problems I made due for now.

d80f62269b788995079ce97fbfc92bc4.jpg

Don't laugh about the two rio 50 power heads there only temporary. I got them new in the box's at a second hand store for $4. I figured they won't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a heck of a couple weeks. Cracking my refugium, plumbing problems,noisy equipment and the soap incident.

I wonder why I'm doing this? But I am. I never had so many problems back in the day but I think they maybe over.

This week I got the refugium repaired and have the ro unit on high hum right now to make an additional 25 gallons of sea water. I'm hoping between work and working on my wife's care this weekend I can get it installed.

Stay tuned.

So what's what? The left side is the Fuge thats fed from the display that drains to the right and holds the return pump???

Sorry to hear about the mishaps-

Yes sir.

So maybe I should elaborate a bit more. On the left is a Marineland 18x18x19 frameless cube, 25 gallons total. It's fed by the display tank though 1" plumbing. It in turn drains into a Eshopps RS-75 sump then returns to the tank via 1 quite one 1200 for now. All the funny plumbing really quiets down the water noise.

Tomorrow night I should have my new Reef Octopus classic 150-ss. Then I will have to change a bit of the plumbing. Also plan to install another quite one 1200 on my other return.

• Like 1