Need help picking a new Skimmer!

Paratore

I am slowly making my way into the world of SPS coral and I feel as though I need to upgrade my skimmer.

I have a 55 gallon tank with about a 15 gallon sump/fuge. I am currently running a CPR CY192 skimmer/sump combo and I don't feel like it is good enough. 

I am not exactly sure what skimmer I should get and how big it should be (i was thinking somewhere in the 125 gallon rating range?). I was hoping that the kind people of PNWMAS would flood me with ideas and knowledge and possibly a solid deal on a skimmer if anyone has an extra one laying around. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Everyone will tell you something different, i promise :-)

I and many people i know with great tanks use a Bubble Magnus. IMO it is the best skimmer especially for the price.  I would always get a skimmer that is rated larger than your tank. A Bubble Magnus curve 7 ($299) would be ideal for your tank but a Curve 5 ($209) will work just fine too.

I'll preface all that follows with " in my opinion"

The pump makes the skimmer

Cones are best unless you can get an extended neck

A neck cleaner is a huge effeciency add on unless you clean your skimmer neck every 6-8 hours ;)

SWC or Super Reef Octopus are tops in my book-I upgraded the Laguna pump on my SWC to a bubble blaster 5000-Im old school I don't see the usefulness of a pump that you can adjust the flow. I have an apex and using a feed mode I can control the pump to simply shut off

Anyway if you look at all the skimmers out there they are basiclly the same thing a cone (or it should be) a collection cup and a bubble plate which brings me back the the pump

good luck with your endeavor ;)

I'll preface all that follows with " in my opinion"

The pump makes the skimmer

Cones are best unless you can get an extended neck

A neck cleaner is a huge effeciency add on unless you clean your skimmer neck every 6-8 hours ;)

SWC or Super Reef Octopus are tops in my book-I upgraded the Laguna pump on my SWC to a bubble blaster 5000-Im old school I don't see the usefulness of a pump that you can adjust the flow. I have an apex and using a feed mode I can control the pump to simply shut off

Anyway if you look at all the skimmers out there they are basiclly the same thing a cone (or it should be) a collection cup and a bubble plate which brings me back the the pump

good luck with your endeavor ;)

I agree you could put a bubble blaster on a pop can and it would rock.
  • Like 1