Fish caught with cyanide

stephanie

LOL!

Seriously???

The only guarantee you have is buying the VERY few varieties of tank "BRED" fish that are available.

While there are MAC certified fish that are supposedly guaranteed not to have been caught with cyanide blah blah blah and the fish sold by sustainable aquatics there's still no guarantee. I've seen just as many MAC certified fish die as I have non-certified.

If there's one thing that's been proven time and time again it's that on the collection side of the hobby some people will do most anything for a buck.

ORA is mostly breeding fish, so these are tank bred fish not raised.

As for tank raised fish (Sustainable Aquatics), They have had to revise exactly what their definition of sustainable is a few times because of their very loose terminology on what exactly sustainable means.

In the end they import WILD COLLECTED fish taken by divers from the islands just like any other wholesaler, hold it in their system and once it eats some sort of prepared food it's considered "sustainable" and can now fetch a higher price. They are keeping some very small fish in the early stages and trying to raise them on prepared foods but they have yet to say which fish those actually are. 

It's not like when you order from them they have an option to order "Blue Tangs that eat prepared food that have been in our care for a minimum of 6 months"

So in the end your only guarantee is that you can buy tank bred fish if you want something that's guaranteed to be cyanide free. The practice isn't used that often in the hobby as it used to be but it does still exist. 

Not all fish collected with cyanide die either, I however surely wouldn't be interested in buying any to find the very few that don't... 

In the end purchasing these tank raised fish at a premium price does offer a small advantage at times, however it's definitely not what people make it out to be.

Edited by Arsonmfg
  • Like 1

I agree with what was said about MAC Certification. On top of that, it is very expensive to be certified. New, easier, and affordable cyanide testing is becoming available. Hopefully, this will help make a difference. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/a-new-fast-non-lethal-method-for-cyanide-detection-in-marine-fish-is-it-a-game-changer