Lighting for a 40B

fishboys

As of right now I have a duel 175 single ended MH W/2 3' T-12 tubes lighting fixture. So the tank will mostly be SPS and some LPS.

At this time only interested in a rose or tri colored anemone. So not much soft stuff.

I do not know how long the bulbs I have in the fixture have been used so I figure I will need to purchase new ones.

Should I purchase new bulbs or buy LED's? I am not 100% sure of the cost difference of purchasing new bulbs vs a LED fixture that will grow everything thing I need. Another thing is if I buy LED's I can sell my MH/T-12fixture to add into the LED's. Money isn't really a huge factor in this decision since we are not talking about huge difference.

In case someone asks heat is not going to be an issue. Thank you for your input.

Edited by fishboys

I like Halides and LEDs so that being said it really is up to the tanks needs and persons preferences...I know, not much help right.

The general answer to your question is to make the transition to a quality LED fixture and be done with the cumbersome equipment that comes with the Halide units. Customability and longevity will be boons to your current situation.

But on another note some of the nicest tanks I have seen still use halides and I personally still run one over one of my tanks with no plan on changing it. It has served me well for many years, why even now I am amazed at some of the colors I see under that halide.

Maybe see if there is some one here who has some not too expensive Halide bulbs they can part with.

Or maybe start pricing out a sufficient LED unit or two.

I run a number of different LED units but I must say Kenny with ReefStar and Bo at Ocean Revive are great guys and have great products.

Kessils rock the house pretty well too.

Thank you.

This question goes out to anyone who wants to throw there 2 cents in.

If you were setting up a 40 gallon breeder that was going to be filled with mostly SPS then some LPS and a Anemone. What LED fixture would you use? I am capable of building one but I dont know if that saves enough to make it worth it.

I am ready to purchase right now so let me know what you guys think. Thank you very much for your help.

If heat isn't an issue and buying new bulbs is an option maybe it's fine staying where you are, I made the jump to LED years ago after buying all the components needed to run my current set with MH and T12 but then I ran across a few build threads over seas that were running LED and the rest is history.

Granted my tank is a bit larger than average and the cost for bulbs, electricity etc made LED an intriguing test.

I've had color shift with LEDs on some SPS but overall I've been extremly pleased-I did the DIY with Cree components and I feel they will out live some of the Chinese components I have but there is a lot of labor doing DIY and unless you've a housing to hide everything , the build can be an eyesore in comparison to clean production build.

I've had issues with the Chinese lights after a few years but for the cost Id buy them all over again, actually Xmas of last year I swapped all my Chinese D120s units for new Chinese units the Artic S026

I don't need ramping up and down, lightning storm or cloud effects so the controllable fixtures aren't for me. I used to do the ramping but then thought about the old dusk to dawn days of MH and T5- The T5 came on and then an hour later the MH and the reverse at the day end, no ramping, no clouds, no bells and whistle

Kenny at Reefstar (local sponsor I believe) had a "try it before you buy it" program so maybe check that out but for me I've been extremely happy with the Ocean Revive fixtures that cuttlefish and corals carries. I could buy 3 Chinese units for the cost of one of my old DIY, granted the DIY components are better and may last longer but the Chinese are less intial investment.

I'll run LED the rest of my reefing years and I know they will just continue to advance just getting better at replicating spectrums you desire or allowing the controllability to dial in what ever color and intensity you want. If I was to light a 40 breeder with LED I'd buy 2 of the Artic S026 or two of the 247, I think they have the same diodes and drivers, it's just asthetics and single cord/switch with a clock that makes them different.

Good luck with whatever you choose, glad to hear you'll be doing SPS (Acropora I hope :) )

Thank you.

This question goes out to anyone who wants to throw there 2 cents in.

If you were setting up a 40 gallon breeder that was going to be filled with mostly SPS then some LPS and a Anemone. What LED fixture would you use? I am capable of building one but I dont know if that saves enough to make it worth it.

I am ready to purchase right now so let me know what you guys think. Thank you very much for your help.

the new AI's they are 200$ a fixture and are fully controlled bye your smart phone built in wifi! Or I would go with a kessil(in my opinion one of the best lights out there and is what I use) it's gonna cost Ya more! Both can be attached from ceiling or attached to tank bye goose neck! Hope that helps? I Went with a A160 WE kessil on my 38 and so far am loving it!

And with LEDs fixtures almost always come with warranty's and with LEDs you don't have to buy new bulbs! You will also get better colors with LEDs IME fish and corals will have a better pop! Where halide your stuff will grow a little faster( what I have heard )!

Hope that helps!

-Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mitrillion