Upcoming elections

reefnjunkie

If you're interested in running for president of the club I can almost gaurantee victory if you simply promise to bring back the edit feature.

You don't even have to be a reefer, just make one small promise and boom-or on the other hand if you're currently holding a certain position..........

Just sayin

• Like 3

When are the nominations going to take place?

Article IV: Officers and Elections

Section 3

Elections shall take place in the month of May of the election year. The newly elected officers shall assume office on July 1st of the current year. Nominations for officers shall take place in the month of April of the election year. At this meeting the President will ascertain from the Secretary and Treasurer that all those nominated are qualified to run for office in accordance with the bylaws of this organization.

I have been curious about this for a while and i guess am just ignorant. Is the lack of being able to edit now something to do with the capabilities of this newer forum since the " Crash "..........or is it an internal administrative decision?

I have been curious about this for a while and i guess am just ignorant. Is the lack of being able to edit now something to do with the capabilities of this newer forum since the " Crash "..........or is it an internal administrative decision?

It was the default and recommended setting on the new software that we decided not to change. We gave it serious consideration when everyone discussed this months ago, but decided against it because of the tendency of some individuals to post inflammatory things and then later change it. The editing feature is not offered on several other forums as well.

It was the default and recommended setting on the new software that we decided not to change. We gave it serious consideration when everyone discussed this months ago, but decided against it because of the tendency of some individuals to post inflammatory things and then later change it. The editing feature is not offered on several other forums as well.

Roger........just seems like a punish the many for the action of a few. But i get it. Thanks

• Like 3

This came up years ago before I was on the board. A now banned member would do this. The BOD at that time did decide to remove the Edit button feature but it was quickly replaced because of the problems it caused with editing classifieds, group buys, growouts etc.  It was replaced and members quickly learned they could simply quote the person so the post couldn't be removed. The admin at the time also figured out how to find the deleted posts as well.

I'm not here to start a big debate about this. I just feel this year that there have been so many changes without any member input such as the Edit button, no longer hosting meetings in Salem and Eugene, removing the TFT coordinator role, no longer using membership cards, no longer using evites for meetings, etc etc. I feel this place has lost the community feel from the bod and officers when there used to be polls to give member input before big changes were made. It's one of the things that made this place unique from reef2reef or reef central. Now there is this top down autocratic feel to this place. My way or the highway. 

I am hopeful this will change. Honestly that's what bothers me about removing the edit button. I'm not even selling things or doing growouts so I have no personal gain from it being reinstated. I think a step in the right direction would be to at least allow the edit feature in the classifieds and for those running a growout competition to have moderator abilities for there thread.

This came up years ago before I was on the board. A now banned member would do this. The BOD at that time did decide to remove the Edit button feature but it was quickly replaced because of the problems it caused with editing classifieds, group buys, growouts etc. It was replaced and members quickly learned they could simply quote the person so the post couldn't be removed. The admin at the time also figured out how to find the deleted posts as well.

I'm not here to start a big debate about this. I just feel this year that there have been so many changes without any member input such as the Edit button, no longer hosting meetings in Salem and Eugene, removing the TFT coordinator role, no longer using membership cards, no longer using evites for meetings, etc etc. I feel this place has lost the community feel from the bod and officers when there used to be polls to give member input before big changes were made. It's one of the things that made this place unique from reef2reef or reef central. Now there is this top down autocratic feel to this place. My way or the highway.

I am hopeful this will change. Honestly that's what bothers me about removing the edit button. I'm not even selling things or doing growouts so I have no personal gain from it being reinstated. I think a step in the right direction would be to at least allow the edit feature in the classifieds and for those running a growout competition to have moderator abilities for there thread.

"Not here to start a big debate," but then proceed to list about half a dozen things you don't like...

It seems that is exactly what you are doing. So in my aim to not "start a big debate," I will address some of your issues. These may or may not be representative of others in leadership, but they are just my opinions.

Meeting location has been primarily based on where we can find a reasonably priced venue that meets our needs when it comes to equipment, spacing, time constraints, etc. Additionally, we focus our efforts where people are most responsive. The last meeting we had in Salem (December by the way), do you know how many people came from south? Do you know how many traveled from up north?

What is the perk for membership cards? You don't have an aquarium so I can assume your aquatic buying is fairly minimal and not one of our sponsors requires them for any kind of discount. In all actuality, I don't know of any stock discounts being offered to members at this time by any sponsors.

I would be more than happy to give the Evite duty to you to make sure that people get their emails. I can send you the flyer after I spend my free time putting it together. It's just that I've never received any message about someone not knowing we were having a meeting.

Do you know people who are currently willing to regularly and routinely check in on tanks at local schools? Please let us know. I haven't received any feedback from members willing to do that. The only person who is still willing to do that is Kevin...And he does.

As for the edit feature, I recognize the importance and I'm not ultimately digging my heels in on it. I've continued to assess the merits of both arguments, but just haven't been moved to alter my opinion. Robert was actually given moderator authority for his grow out, by the way.

I realize this response is full of sarcasm and passive aggressive lines, but my opinion on the issues are there.

In the end, I'm just curious who is going to take office and have the exact same agenda as you. People are all different and therefore they have different opinions. You'll never have people in your life that agree with everything you say and think. All we can expect from leaders is that decisions will be made for the best of the group.

Personally, I try to avoid undue criticism of my leaders. Especially when there doesn't appear to be many others who are willing to take upon those tasks.

• Like 2

"Not here to start a big debate," but then proceed to list about half a dozen things you don't like...

It seems that is exactly what you are doing. So in my aim to not "start a big debate," I will address some of your issues. These may or may not be representative of others in leadership, but they are just my opinions.

Meeting location has been primarily based on where we can find a reasonably priced venue that meets our needs when it comes to equipment, spacing, time constraints, etc. Additionally, we focus our efforts where people are most responsive. The last meeting we had in Salem (December by the way), do you know how many people came from south? Do you know how many traveled from up north?

What is the perk for membership cards? You don't have an aquarium so I can assume your aquatic buying is fairly minimal and not one of our sponsors requires them for any kind of discount. In all actuality, I don't know of any stock discounts being offered to members at this time by any sponsors.

I would be more than happy to give the Evite duty to you to make sure that people get their emails. I can send you the flyer after I spend my free time putting it together. It's just that I've never received any message about someone not knowing we were having a meeting.

Do you know people who are currently willing to regularly and routinely check in on tanks at local schools? Please let us know. I haven't received any feedback from members willing to do that. The only person who is still willing to do that is Kevin...And he does.

As for the edit feature, I recognize the importance and I'm not ultimately digging my heels in on it. I've continued to assess the merits of both arguments, but just haven't been moved to alter my opinion. Robert was actually given moderator authority for his grow out, by the way.

I realize this response is full of sarcasm and passive aggressive lines, but my opinion on the issues are there.

In the end, I'm just curious who is going to take office and have the exact same agenda as you. People are all different and therefore they have different opinions. You'll never have people in your life that agree with everything you say and think. All we can expect from leaders is that decisions will be made for the best of the group.

Personally, I try to avoid undue criticism of my leaders. Especially when there doesn't appear to be many others who are willing to take upon those tasks.

Like I said I am not here to debate. I would simply ask that this kind of hostility please stop. I didn't even post up this original thread but the minute I chime in I am met with this response.  This is what I meant by the my way or the highway attitude .   :kneel:  Have a good day. I'm not going to say any more on the matter as I really am not interested in the negativity. :drinking:  :flowers:  :bow:  :bow:   I am glad to hear that Robert was given moderator privileges for his grow out competition.  :clap: I will go hide behind the couch again now!  :hidesbehindsofa:  :)

I plan to be in the running for PNWMAS president. I would like to see this club become active again, and "politics" kept to a minimum. We need to have some fun again! The club is the people that are in it. It does not "belong" to anyone. When we started a marine aquarium club in 1995, that eventually progresses into PNWMAS, we all contributed with our time and energy. I chose not to be "president", but referred to myself as the "Coordinator". I know people can do some amazing things when given half a chance, and there are some amazing people in this club.

Moderation is needed at times, to maintain peace in the forum. Although things become complicated in life, I do my best to keep things simple and uncomplicated.  Personally, I have no time for power trips in my life either. I really don't have a lot to say on the subject at this point, but I have the feeling we can have a good, stable BOD, and allow members to decide on issues, rather than be told what is what. We do have a Constitution and By-Laws to go by, and it was put together as a whole club. It is located on the PNWMAS Home Page, on the upper right-side of the page, directly above the Calendar. Please take some time to read it when you get a chance!

• Like 6

The post was meant in jest as most of my non reef related posts can be-I don't have time nor care to get overly involve in anything non tank related (anymore, past years different story) but back to the edit option, it would make for one of the perk for paid members.

Reef2Reef does the same format as this place with that feature in the sense if you're not a paid member you've a time limit to make edits. They do however have the edit feature available if you're a paid member and that would be the way to go IMO. If there are problems with individuals deal with them on an individual level and if need be just give them the boot, if you can't contribute- Bye Felicia

There has always been the question "what perks do members get" the edit option could be one of them.

good luck going forward :)

• Like 2

The post was meant in jest as most of my non reef related posts can be-I don't have time nor care to get overly involve in anything non tank related (anymore, past years different story) but back to the edit option, it would make for one of the perk for paid members.

Reef2Reef does the same format as this place with that feature in the sense if you're not a paid member you've a time limit to make edits. They do however have the edit feature available if you're a paid member and that would be the way to go IMO. If there are problems with individuals deal with them on an individual level and if need be just give them the boot, if you can't contribute- Bye Felicia

There has always been the question "what perks do members get" the edit option could be one of them.

good luck going forward :)

I am in agreement with you on the edit option.

I third John for president! Oh wait I'm not a paying member anymore so I guess I don't have a say yet....

Got to meet john today after he picked up my Coldwater tank and looking forward to what this club will become with his leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry if the removal of the unlimited edit feature feels like a punishment, it is in no way intended to be that. The BOD do not sit around and think how can we punish the members. The conversations we do have are about how we can make the club better and more functional.

I have reached out to many current and former members of this club over the past year. Trying to figure out why so many people come and go, and what the club can do to keep the more experienced reefers around, and also keep people in positions on the Board. I have talked to several people at meetings, on facebook, at the local shops, and in their or my home. The number one complaint about this club and the number one reason why people choose to leave is because of the fighting that goes on. It is the most common and predictable answer and consistent from just about everyone whom I speak with. 

I realize that some people like to stir the pot and enjoy those arguments, but many of us do not, myself included. The goal of the BOD is to make this a friendly site where people can come and learn about their hobby and how to better care for our animals. Over the past few years our site has had a lot of fighting, a lot of drama. Some months would see 30-40 reported posts where a member was calling for a moderator to intervene. Some nights we would see 10-15 in a single night. Since the removal of the unlimited edit feature, we have have had 3 reported posts. 3 in almost 4 months on the clubs forum. Even with the rise in participation, increase in members, increase in posts, increase in site logins, there has been a dramatic decrease in fighting since the edit button times out. 

For some reason removing someones ability to make personal attacks on other and then remove them later seems to stop them from making those personal attacks in the first place. 

It's not perfect, we have still had someone bait a member by making a personal attack and then editing it out in the 15 minute time frame. We still have had a member use the edit feature to add a variety of curse words to his post... but for the most part, this has been working. 

I realize loosing the edit button sucks. For what it is worth all of the Board of Directors have the same limitation, and abide by the same rules (unless it is an official club business thread and someone did something like, put the wrong address for where the meeting is taking place...) If we could change it so PNWMAS members could still edit in the classified section I would be in favor of that, but our software does not allow that specification. Did we recognize the need for the Growout Coordinator to be able to edit the posts, ya, and we put that exception in place to make the site more functional. If other scenario's come up where changes are necessary, we'll navigate that. For now though, this seems to be working, and in my mind, is a much better game plan then to just ban and remove everyone. It is a shame that so few ruin things for so many, but that seems to be the way of the World. 

Realize that this site is run by volunteers. We all pay our memberships the same way all of the other PNWMAS do, I think all of us have put out extra money out of pocket as well to make things run. Us Volunteers would much rather do things like work with the professionals in our industry to bring in things for the club, plan events like the speakers we have brought in or the trip to the Aquarium. No one wants to volunteer to continually have to step in between two adults, because they can't behave themselves. It's not fair to ask anyone to do. Once in awhile misunderstandings happen, but when the BOD is sending 30-40 PM's back and forth and 3 to 5 phone calls about a post it detracts from the overall goal of the club... these situations used to play out far more then most people would realize. 

While the Volunteers that make up the BOD have asked for and welcomed feedback on a variety of things some decisions affect a tremendous amount of volunteer hours, that we simply don't have to spend. The edit button is one of those decisions, and the volunteers who run this site for all of us approved keeping the time limit by a UNANIMOUS vote.  If the next BOD wants to take on that undertaking, that's great, I'll wish them the best of luck, but for now there will be no changes to the way the edit button works.

The volunteers who make up the BOD have spent hundreds (if not over a thousand) hours in the last year doing the work for the benefit of the club and the community. I am asking that you show them the appreciation and respect for their efforts by accepting the decisions that we have come to. 

• Like 6

That's a lot to read, I for one wasn't looking to make things such a big deal if the software doesn't support that option it doesn't support that option

Oh well

I skimmed your post Kevin but I think things have got much better around here, and as time goes on it will continue ;) no sense in kicking the sleeping dog around anymore most of us know how things played out. I was a mod for a short while post site crash, sounds like things must have changed a lot and I don't envy ya #LOL

Sounds like my sig isn't an option then it's a software limitation????

:flowers:

• Like 1