onefang's 11.4

onefang

Figured it was time to post, since I lurk in the shadows on this forum.

So.. after having to tear down a freshly setup nuvo 20 due to landlord issues, I've finally got a legit tank running again. When I tore down my Nuvo, I moved all the live sand, rock, etc over to a cheap 10g to keep everything cycled, and bought myself a Mr. Aqua 11.4. It's been running now for a while, and I am getting back into the swing of things.

Tank:

• Mr Aqua 11.4 

Stand:

• Ikea shelf

Lighting:

• Coral Compulsion PAR30 & Gooseneck (this has been removed. Looking for better lighting)

Heat:

• Cobalt Neotherm 75W

ATO:

• Me with a gallon jug, and a line drawn on the edge of the tank.

Filtration:

• AC50 w/ Pico skimmer box and inTank Media basket
  • Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180

Scape Materials:

• Caribsea Fiji Pink Sand
  • Reefcleaners Florida Reef Rock

===============

Current inhabitants:

Corals

• Hammer 
  • Frogspawn

Inverts

• 5 x Cerith snails
  • Cleaner shrimp(he has been re-homed, as he was getting handsy with the frogspawn)

Fish

• Sharknose Goby

FTS as of 4/17/2015:

vqlm5u.jpg

Goby chilling on the overflow box

16k3mz4.jpg

Frogspawn

3e644fa3-15fe-4cac-b1ba-925d385eb10e_zps

Hammer(a little pissed because I moved it)

154afba.jpg

Edited by onefang
  • Like 1

Looks sharp, nice pics, nice tank info.  Thanks for sharing.

Nice write up! I like the ato description too!

Thanks!  It was inspired by all the fanboys/girls on "other" forums who are more interested in the equipment than what it keeps alive. I'm the inverse, so it seemed appropriate :D

I managed to talk them down on a ricordea yesterday at aqua serene. So that needs to be added to the list. It's reaaaly upset with me right now, so I will take a picture as soon as it relaxes a bit.

Edited by onefang

lol yeah I was looking at nano reef and I noticed that. They out a lot of time in the write up. You will get that here too! That's one of the first things I noticed when people would come over. It reminded me of the car shows. Most everyone would lift the canopy to see the lights and open the cabinets to see the sump. It reminded me of when people check under the hoods of cars! I really don't get into the equipment that much other than I want something that is going to be reliable easy to maintain and make the corals look great and Not be so pricey! Is that too much to ask for?????

Thanks! It was inspired by all the fanboys/girls on "other" forums who are more interested in the equipment than what it keeps alive. I'm the inverse, so it seemed appropriate :D

I managed to talk them down on a ricordea yesterday at aqua serene. So that needs to be added to the list. It's reaaaly upset with me right now, so I will take a picture as soon as it relaxes a bit.

you talking about nano-reef.com and their raging hard on for the Nanobox?

Yes and Yes. You can add Tunze, Pico aquariums, Maxspect, and inTank to that list as well. Although I will give it to inTank.. his baskets are freakin awesome.. but it's like your aquaclear or AIO is a raging coral murderer if it doesn't have one.

It's funny, I just put up a thread about not really liking the look of most LED setups over there, and specifically asked if anyone had done anything to get a more diffused(like T5 or powercompact) look. Boy oh boy.. they came out of the woodwork to tell me why my preference was wrong :)  Whatever though, it's cool.

lol yeah I was looking at nano reef and I noticed that. They out a lot of time in the write up. You will get that here too! That's one of the first things I noticed when people would come over. It reminded me of the car shows. Most everyone would lift the canopy to see the lights and open the cabinets to see the sump. It reminded me of when people check under the hoods of cars! I really don't get into the equipment that much other than I want something that is going to be reliable easy to maintain and make the corals look great and Not be so pricey! Is that too much to ask for?

Indeed.  I actually swapped over to the 11.4 from a standard 10 gallon.. and now that I did it, I am not really sure if I really needed to ,as I think the layout in that tank actually looked better. Every once in a while I get a case of "keeping up with the Joneses" , and I buy something totally unnecessary in regards to the enjoyment of my tank. If anything, the Mr. Aqua tank kind of sketches me out cause it has so little silicone that it looks like it might just fall apart, and it's a weird (17.75" in length) size so finding decent lighting that will work is neigh impossible. I may actually buy an aqueon tank or deep blue tank in a standard length down the road.

It's funny.. I finally take the time to post a thread about my tank, and a day later I get some bad news. Without going into it too much, I am going to just throw in the towel on reefing again. It's been rough going from the start, and I am just out of patience with everything else going on in my life.  :sad:

So I guess everything in my setup is currently for sale cheap so I can move it fast.

I will post a thread up in classifieds this afternoon when I get home from work.