Sps rtning

Mitrillion

RTN is always caused by some sort of stress factor. Alk Swings, temp swings, SG Swings, lighting problems, stung or stressed coral. Find the source of the stress to ultimately stop future RTN. If levels are in check, you can frag above the affected areas...make a few frags, because the losses will continue.

How do other SPS look? Specifically any other birdsnest? My last tank I couldnt keep birdsnest, it always RTN'd on me. Ultimately I think low Magnesium was the culprit, but technically its still a mystery since I left BN out of tank.

RTN is always caused by some sort of stress factor. Alk Swings, temp swings, SG Swings, lighting problems, stung or stressed coral. Find the source of the stress to ultimately stop future RTN. If levels are in check, you can frag above the affected areas...make a few frags, because the losses will continue.

How do other SPS look? Specifically any other birdsnest? My last tank I couldnt keep birdsnest, it always RTN'd on me. Ultimately I think low Magnesium was the culprit, but technically its still a mystery since I left BN out of tank.

its been getting worse over the corse of a month! And all other sps looks great! Nothing really has changed, mag might be doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

then its STN over RTN if its slow like a month.. 

Try a water change.. or maybe that part is just dying due to lack of light.. but mine usually just brown out on the bottom, not white skeleton.. check your levels, and lower your lights by 5-10% till it starts to reverse itself.. 

If you feel like fragging, cut above the tissue death, but it may cause more stress and some of the frags will die anyways.. mainly look at your water, and change a large majority of it possibly.

Mag should not affect corals that negatively if it swings or is really high, high mag can help Hair algae to die off

then its STN over RTN if its slow like a month..

Try a water change.. or maybe that part is just dying due to lack of light.. but mine usually just brown out on the bottom, not white skeleton.. check your levels, and lower your lights by 5-10% till it starts to reverse itself..

If you feel like fragging, cut above the tissue death, but it may cause more stress and some of the frags will die anyways.. mainly look at your water, and change a large majority of it possibly.

Mag should not affect corals that negatively if it swings or is really high, high mag can help Hair algae to die off

ok! Will do, how do u measure change in percent of the light I just have nobs? On my kessil

[quote name="Sasquatch" post="342133" timestamp="1429747025".

Both low and high mag have caused coral death in my tanks at one time or another. Not saying that's the problem here...just saying. I raised my mag too quickly one time and watched acans melt...and many palys never recovered.

SPS can ultra finicky and ultra hardy. I guess just depending on what side of the bed it wakes up on.

• Like 2

Mitchell, do you keep a log sheet?

If not, print a bunch of these off...

127887d1393111114-reef-log-sheet-image.j

But like others said, frag above the affected area pray they live and find the underlying cause.

the only thing I can think is mag! Thanks for the idea I'm gonna print those off and start doing it!

Welcome to sps! STN and RTN happens to all of us at one time or another, most times with no clear answer why. Fragging is what I do, and even then some make it and some don't like said earlier.

thanks bill for the input! What do u guys frag with garden clippers? What is best, I feel like I am gonna have to saw half the coral off lol

Question, can I use my RTN SPS boneyard collection for reactor media?! :D

Sadly, my daughter brought a few coral skeletons for show and tell today.  On a positive note she thought it was cool.  

It happens to at least a few of us, good luck and hope you can save it!

Question, can I use my RTN SPS boneyard collection for reactor media?! :D

Sadly, my daughter brought a few coral skeletons for show and tell today. On a positive note she thought it was cool.

It happens to at least a few of us, good luck and hope you can save it!

thanks man! This coral is still growning ifs weird! Tips are white (not like the middle of it) so time to clip away this weekend!