Official Entry Thread for TECO Zoa\Paly Grow Out Competition 2015

Tank specs: 60 gallon mixed reef stack.

Flow:I use some sort of really big return pump,maxi jet 1200, and a SunSun circ pump for flow.

Filtration:I run a small Odessea skimmer,carbon,purigen,and macro algae.

Dosing:BRS Soda Ash Three part and Feul.Just started dosing a drop of vodka a day.I may adjust as necessary to keep nitrates at 10 ppm.

Lighting: T5' s and LED's.The main display where I will be growing the polyps has Mad Mike layout custom 3watt Full Spectrum LED's.

Feeding: Various pelleted food for the fish.Frozen foods and Hikari Coralific Delite about once a week for the LPS and palys.

Maintain: I preform a 20% water change every two weeks and use a Tunze ATO.

Here's my system information again for the curious.I am still dosing Fuel and a drop a day Vodka.I have a excessive amounts of algae,really I think my tank is just nasty.Zoas and Palys have always been a hit or miss in this system.Some varieties grow well,the rest will slowly melt away.I did give the zoas a really nice spot on the sand bed,directly 20" from the LED'S.This area also gets lots of indirect flow.

I'll up-voat these as the best looking palys I've seen.. They kinda morph color from green to orange and red in different lightings..

I wonder, could everyone with different colored palys please explain what you have done in terms of water conditions.

How often water changes?

Lighting requirements?

Supplements?

Thanks Samsquanch!! They are looking pretty good so far. Definitely finicky and a slow grower. 

I haven't changed much at all in my system. In fact, those palys got glued down to the bottom of my tank and haven't been moved outside of taking the pictures for the growout. I have not target fed, and do not dose anything outside of the occasional tweak to the cal/alk/mag along with running the calcium reactor. Water changes are rare at best. I have done two roughly 30 gal changes since this growout began, so about 60g total on a 150g total volume over 4ish months. I have had a couple bumps along the way, skimmer pump went out, heater malfunctioned, and had my alk dip pretty low, but no intentional changes. Lighting is the same Ocean Revives I have ran for a while, I tend to have a zoa sweet spot at the bottom corner of the tank, so that's where most of the zoas go. I haven't played around with a PAR meter for some time though to see what the reading is down that low.  I should probably do that one of these days. 

• Like 1

Final 39 zoas still just 5 palys[

You got good growth on both varieties,that's cool.

Well done everyone

I managed to keep 13 alive

Too bad there's not a prize for the favorite morph, I might have a chance at something!

Check these ones out... I can honestly say they are much brighter red/orange in person, could not ]

Moved em around for an iPhone pic, closer to how bright they are. Just glowing bright, one of my new favs!

Your zoas look nice! I can't believe how big the red mark became and it looks star shaped.I guess you have naming rights to that morph.Perhaps the stress of the tank crash encouraged the transformation?

I almost forgot and so mine are taken after lights out. I count 27 zoa's and 7 paly's. Great job everyone! Some of you have magic water. [u5D%5B/quote%5D

Nice work yourself! Does this mean we have a tie on the paly grow out?

%5Bquote

name=Smann" post="352649" timestamp="1438055377][language filter]! those guys are definitely Killing it lol

Good job guys and fun contest thanks again for putting this on

Steve

Thanks to everyone who participated,and Special thanks to Badxgillen!

Heres my last update. Ive got 44 total. Looks like kireek took this one. Congratz :)

[4]

*Thank you cerk1985!* It was close.

Thanks Samsquanch!! They are looking pretty good so far. Definitely finicky and a slow grower.

I haven't changed much at all in my system. In fact, those palys got glued down to the bottom of my tank and haven't been moved outside of taking the pictures for the growout. I have not target fed, and do not dose anything outside of the occasional tweak to the cal/alk/mag along with running the calcium reactor. Water changes are rare at best. I have done two roughly 30 gal changes since this growout began, so about 60g total on a 150g total volume over 4ish months. I have had a couple bumps along the way, skimmer pump went out, heater malfunctioned, and had my alk dip pretty low, but no intentional changes. Lighting is the same Ocean Revives I have ran for a while, I tend to have a zoa sweet spot at the bottom corner of the tank, so that's where most of the zoas go. I haven't played around with a PAR meter for some time though to see what the reading is down that low. I should probably do that one of these days.

The growth of your palys is nice,the polyps look fat and healthy.Thanks for sharing the additional information on your setup. I think you guys are tied...

Edited by kireek

Yes, thank you for the added information, it might be the 10ppm nitrates or it could be the Amino Acid dosing? Or what if it is the gentle indirect flow? I know I can accommodate a couple of those possibilities and go from there.

I will get to making the final and Official announcements tonight, so stay tuned.

• Like 1

I have updated the first page with the newest polyp counts.

A final 13 from the original 30 contestants remain at the finish line.

Great Job People, outstanding coral growing being done here in the North West, so glad we had so many good reefers participate.

It looks like Kireek takes the lead in the Zoanthid grow out with over 50 polyps, WOW! Congratulations!

Your prize is naming rights to this beautiful zoanthid and a fine coral frag.

DSCF3429_zps5b6lppth.jpg

AAAAND looks like there was almost a tie between Jadams and Matty but since Matty started with only 2 Palys and now has 7 it makes him the winner by a polyp. Congratulations man, you also get to think of an appropriate common name for the Paly and can chat with me about snagging a zoa frag from one of my tanks.

WP_20150117_008_zpsoskwhxyj.jpg

Soooo Matty, Kireek...What are we going to call these good looking polyps?

• Like 1

*Congratulations matty!*

*Thank you so much for the generous prize,I will take good care of that gem!* As far as names go I really like the name "Patriot" that was mentioned earlier.I am still open for other suggestions if anyone has one or two.

• Like 1

*Congratulations matty!*

*Thank you so much for the generous prize,I will take good care of that gem!* As far as names go I really like the name "Patriot" that was mentioned earlier.I am still open for other suggestions if anyone has one or two.

Patriot would be great for that paly name. Considering they just went flat except for the winners!!!! Hahahahahahaha

• 3 months later...

Update, because BadX's post in the types of growout thread.

I had a huge tank crash, but these guys survived.

The green morph is overpowering the star lords.

The star lords still have the red and white star morph in the middle...

9930037ac96d6630dab7c518400b170f.jpg

Cropped

f6c7f68067dd370258fd75d908476820.jpg

• Like 1

Update, because BadX's post in the types of growout thread.

I had a huge tank crash, but these guys survived.

The green morph is overpowering the star lords.

The star lords still have the red and white star morph in the middle...

9930037ac96d6630dab7c518400b170f.jpg

Cropped

f6c7f68067dd370258fd75d908476820.jpg

Jeremy...your zoas do better in a tank crash than mine do when my tank is in great shape!  :icon_bow:

• Like 2