Sign in to follow this  
NanoDrummer09

New to Beaverton

Hello all, My name is Nic and my wife and i will be moving to the beaverton area mid May,  i wanted to get a head start on gathering info on local fish stores and the local selection so i can get an idea on starting my tank.  Ive been reefing for about 6 years and currently have a 40gal breeder with a mixed LED DIY lighting.  I plan on starting from scratch so any advice on local places or if i can get live rock from locals cheeper than a LFS that would be great! Looking forward to the move and getting my tank up and running again,  

Welcome to Beaverton. I live near the Murray and scholls ferry road intersection in Beaverton. Closest reef store is probably upscales and cuttlefish and corals. You can always find deals here in the classifieds or Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you want some good LR try people on here who have some extra.. Or World of Wet Pets in Beaverton always have a couple hundred lbs I believe.. They are also really good for a CUC..

Upscales also has a lot of nice rock. and a lot of coral.. not to mention some nice fish..

But if you want some top of the line super nice fish and coral.. You have to go to Cuttlefish and Coral in N Portland.

There is also a new place down in Tigard/Tualatin that just opened, Im planning on checking out, I hear they have a great coral selection also.

Welcome to the neighborhood.. keep me in mind for zoas if you want some.. 

Edited by Sasquatch

Up in Vancouver (about 15 miles from Beaverton) there is Ocean In A Box, Jason the owner always has good prices and is very knowledgeable,

Welcome to the PNWMAS. It's been nine years since I made the move, I landed in Beaverton originally as well, just moved outta there 6 months or so ago, but I am in that area often. 

I have a ton of extra rock that I was going to use for a project and ended up scrapping the project. I've kept it in an aerated 75g since September. Way more then enough to fill your 40g. When you get settled hit me up and I'll hook ya up. 

Upscales and Cuttlefish are the two businesses in the area that I do most of my business with. There are several other stores in the area as well. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Will
      Brand new Marineland 300 deep dimension "corner flow" aquarium for sale. Includes new tank and new tank stand, black. Tank has never been filled and is currently in storage unit. I am only asking $2,000 firm. I am in the Beaverton area. 
      Willbowler@hotmail.com
    • By cmckown
      New here so I guess I cant post classifieds. I am moving out of state and need to pass on my SPS tank.
      Any ideas for me to post or contacts to be made I am all ears. I have it on Craigs but could sure use some help.
      971344886three Corey.

• By xmas_one
      This is great article on reefscaping I wanted to share. 
      https://www.fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/on-the-rocks-how-to-build-a-saltwater-reefscape
    • By GumdropDan
      Hey there Reefers!

This is my first post, and most importantly my first reef tank. As a kid, I would always try to convince my parents to let me get a saltwater tank, and for a moment there I had convinced them to get me one, that is until my mom got a swarm of advice to stay clear of saltwater because "it's too complicated for a kid".I was then given a freshwater tank, 1 UGLY fish, some plastic rocks and no proper equipment. It was a sad childhood indeed lol. 

Let me tell you my story, if you care to read on. I'm a bit of a story teller. 

Now I am 24, I have an amazing job, and more importantly my own tank. I started collecting all the necessary equipment about a year ago when I walked into Saltwater Obsessions in Gresham, located right here in the great PNW. They had a beautiful display tank and before I knew it, I was a kid again running around looking at all the fish. As soon as I saw the corals, man oh man, I was instantly hooked. Most people start off in the hobby because of the fish, but for me, it was always about the corals. That same day I bought a 90 gallon tank, it was pretty beat up, but I sure do love a project. Filled with excitement, I took the tank outside into the parking lot, a few moments later, I looked at my 4 door corolla and realized, this tank isn't going to fit in my car at all. As I stood there confused, the store owner's buddy offered to take the tank to my house, I couldn't have thanked him enough. I spent the next few weeks sanding, painting, resealing and updating all the hardware. 

Later on, I found out my apartment could not support the weight of a the 90 gallon reef tank, not including the sump I was going to add. About 9 months later I stumbled on a JBJ 45 Gallon Rimless tank for $150! These tanks are easily sold for around $700 and the only problem with it, was it needed to be resealed. I quickly jumped on it and drove about 2 hours to get there and another 2 to get back. 

I spent the weekend working on the tank, about 12 hours each day trying to get this tank ready. Now the tank is resealed, cleaned and ready for rocks. I just ordered some dry rocks and should be here in about a week. Thanks Bulk Reef Supply!

I am so grateful that I will be able to start reefing, after a year of hard research I think Im ready to get started. 

Keep on Reefing! 

• By TaylorW
      UPDATED PRICE! So I have a pretty maroon clown that needs a new tank, I've decided instead to get a couple black ocellaris clowns for this tank. It can come with or without a small rose bubble tip anenome, $15 with the bubble tip or $5 without (I think this is a pretty good deal) or trades, I actually prefer trades! I'm looking for Clove polyps (not the tiny blue ones) rock flower, Maxi minis, zoas, dendro, Palythoas grandis, Mushrooms, kryptonite candy cane coral  (neon green) other colors bubble tips, brain, acans it let me know what you got! I'm located in the Forest Grove area but I'll be in Hillsboro today about 2:30 so I could meet out there text 503-935-6334