Sign in to follow this  
bamburgb

Heating suggestions

I was just wondering which people suggest heating the main tank or heating the sump? i keep my tank heated to about 80-82 and its been costing me a fortune just to heat the tank so im trying to find a way to cut the cost a little bit without heating the room to that level (room is usually 65).

why are you heating to 82?  I run most of my tanks in the 76-78 range and they are just fine.  IMO running at the higher end of the temps just leads to trouble if you have a problem like a stuck heater!

thats just the temp i have always ran it at but didnt realize until recently the amount it was costing me.

i'd slowly lower it, it will cost you a lot less to heat to 76 than 82, maybe even nothing dependant upon how much your pumps and lights put out

This thread is making me wonder how much I pay to heat my tank in the garage. I've thought of insulation on the garage door to save costs and I'm only in the 76-78 range.

Hey old salt.

Find out with a kill-a-watt, might be spendy as you suspect! 

Bombertech has some garage tips as he lives in colder eastern oregon.  I think he does things like covering the tanks in acyrlic, utilizes insulation etc...

This thread is making me wonder how much I pay to heat my tank in the garage. I've thought of insulation on the garage door to save costs and I'm only in the 76-78 range.

I found out to heat my 180 reef tank to 82 i was spending about 300-400 a year in electricity.

Hey old salt.

Find out with a kill-a-watt, might be spendy as you suspect! 

Bombertech has some garage tips as he lives in colder eastern oregon.  I think he does things like covering the tanks in acyrlic, utilizes insulation etc...

Thats how i found out how much it was running me, the heater was costing me way more then even my LED lights,

• Like 1

My controller is set at 78.5 but almost never has to turn the heater on

Sump is nice, out of the way, less likely to break.  Be sure to put it in a fixed height chamber so if your ato fails it is not high and dry and shatters.