Bayer Advanced for coral dipping

reefnjunkie

Anything you use is not going to be completely safe but in my experience it is worth the risk. If you don't dip you may end up losing all of your corals to some sort of infection. I have had monti eating nudibranchs and that was much more disastrous than losing any coral that I dipped too aggressively.

Again good information Brad and I would have hoarder tendencies too but I just can't stand having a lots of boxes and I don't have a garage so I have to keep my tendencies in check! :)

im just saying is it as safe as say coral rx? Or work as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better in most aspects-CoralRx is known to be VERY harsh on smooth skin acros as an example, if dipped to long or is mixed to strong or sometimes "just because" it will kill that acro- Kill, dead, toast, finished-that 35.00-450.00 acro frag you "HAD" is now dead

Does that sound safe :laugh: -As I mentioned this is the most forgiving dip I (and 1000s) of refers have ever came across-Besides when I'm done I pour it around the house to kill spiders and bugs

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ;)

• Like 1

I have not personally used it but have read good things from other reefers about their experiences. My personal experience with coral rx and other dips is they were not always good about killing everything. Red bugs is probably the main one which affects primarily acros. In the past you would have to use interceptor which can be difficult to get because it is needs a rx from a vet.

I like it much more than coral rx...the harsh chemical smell of coral rx makes me so nervous.

The only drawback to the Bayer is that it doesn't kill eggs.

Cut the plug off, then dip...the plug is usually where you find eggs...Though definitely not always.

I still use a number of dips as Bayer does not seem to effect some nudibranchs and flat worms so much whereas RX and Melafix will. The later two are harsh upon some acros or prolonged exposure but some times that is what it takes to get the real tough ones. From the many pests I have seen the Bayer works best on the ones with exoskeletons while some of the planarias I have see been sitting in the solution for 20 minutes just strolling around the tuperware.

When I am getting a coral from an irreputable source not only do I try and put it into a QTish tank that only has frags unattached to rocks I also give it a Bayer dip and then a secondary dip such as revive then let it rest in bowl of tank water for a minute then back into the tank. To be more thorough it is also a good idea to take Mandingas advice and remove any not coral plug or rock from the coral itself. The only things that I know kill eggs in addition to the pests can kill your coral too...Parmanganate comes to mine.

• Like 2

As many are aware Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (concentrate) has proven itself to be one of (if not the best IMO) the best dips for SPS, Zoas and whatever else you'd dip to eradicate pests.

The process is quite simple you take 1cup of tank water and add 5-10 mls of Bayer and dip 10-15 minutes. It best to use a turkey baster or something to help blow pests from coral.

Once time is rinse coral in tank water extremely well and maybe even a second rinse in tank water to be safe.

I personally move all frags from one plastic tube that has the solution to a second tub with tank water at the the end of 15 minutes and use a baster to blow off the frags, colonies or whatever is being dipped. Once they are rinsed well I will sometimes rinse a second time in a bucket just shaking the frag back and forth before placing it back in the frags tank.

This is an out of tank treatment ONLY.

Bayer is EXTREMELY gentle on all acros, I inadvertently had a frag fall off a rack and sit in the solution for nearly 8 hours-it was a little stressed and after about a month you'd never know it happened-try that with any dip and see what happens.

Home Depot is discontinuing carrying it and have it clearance priced at under 10.00 a bottle down from nearly 13.00. You should pick some up while it's cheap-unfortunately if you live near the Minter Bridge HD in Hillsboro no need going, I picked up the last 12 bottles :)

Happy dipping

Thanks for heads up! Take two down, pass em around 97 bottles of Bayer on the wall

6e1960b45a57faeb814550cb2402a519.jpg

Edited by theclark
  • Like 1

I still use a number of dips as Bayer does not seem to effect some nudibranchs and flat worms so much whereas RX and Melafix will. The later two are harsh upon some acros or prolonged exposure but some times that is what it takes to get the real tough ones. From the many pests I have seen the Bayer works best on the ones with exoskeletons while some of the planarias I have see been sitting in the solution for 20 minutes just strolling around the tuperware.

When I am getting a coral from an irreputable source not only do I try and put it into a QTish tank that only has frags unattached to rocks I also give it a Bayer dip and then a secondary dip such as revive then let it rest in bowl of tank water for a minute then back into the tank. To be more thorough it is also a good idea to take Mandingas advice and remove any not coral plug or rock from the coral itself. The only things that I know kill eggs in addition to the pests can kill your coral too...Parmanganate comes to mine.

If you scroll through this thread you'll find the recommended dosage for using this as a dip- I've done this on pieces that AEFW had been found on and they literally dissolve after about 5 mins. It's to bad this experiment ended poorly but as an out of tank dipping that's clear so you can see what's happening -it's an alternative .

If my memory is correct ( don't count on it :( ) it's one pound of potassium chloride per gallon of tank water, and it can be stored so you don't need to make a gallon to only use 2 cups.

I grabbed a bag of softener at Ace Hardware-the only HD store I found that had it was in Bend - good news for Bomber :)

There is no dip known to date that kills embryos/AEFW eggs-please correct me if have a link stating otherwise

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/184192-almost-successful-tank-acropora-acro-eating-flatworms-treatment.html

Bring back the edit feature you totalitarian power mongers

Edited by reefnjunkie

Whats funny is I use WAY more than the recommended dose and there are a few types of planaria that survived after 15 minutes, especially the little tiny ones, and then there were the SPS eating spiders, they survived a huge dose of Bayer.

Alls I am saying is Bayer does not kill everything.

Thank You for the link, I have yet to try the P. Chloride but I just might snag some for the next time I spot a nasty crawling around a new coral. When you get some really direct coral shipment or maricultured specimens they can come in with some odd guests,alls I want is some coral and nothing else.

I will agree that Bayer is the least harsh of the dips and has the one of the best diversity in kill count of pest species.

And I agree that things would be much better if I could go and correct my posts or simply add to them.

Edited by badxgillen

• 2 weeks later...

post-12940-142808094497_thumb.jpg

Here's the back. I was looking around and couldn't find the bottle that I normally see online. Like the one you posted.

Cha i will pm you where. There's a few bottles left.

• 2 months later...

I just don't understand how a bug poison wouldn't harm the coral but kill everything else? They are such delicate sea creatures that are dying by the day in the sea where they're from. But we can dip them a concentrated insect killer no problem?

I just don't get it.