Nuvo 8g Design Flaw?

Sasquatch

So I have a new Nuvo 8g and just got a new lid, but I think its lid cuts down on gas exchange in the water.

It has greatly cut down on the evaporation I used to experience.. but now Im worried I dont have enough air exchange to keep fish alive.. I 'had' a blenny in there who the night after I noticed wasn't moving to much and was gasping for air in the tank.. 

I added a second powerhead aimed at the surface and let it bubble around but it was too late, by morning he was gone

Has anyone else used the lid on their tank? or does it limit the gas exchange to much for SW tanks? Maybe a lower water level in the chamber to allow water to crash in the back and churn up more bubbles? 

Or add more LR in the chamber in the back for more bacteria to grow? Advise please!

If you have a skimmer, you don't need to worry about surface gas exchange. The surface area of all those bubbles is colossal and will provide more than enough oxygenation. Just be sure the intake gets easy room air. 

• Like 1

Ive lost my blenny and last night the goby was found dead at the bottom.. Ive added another pump and thinking a fan. or letting the water crash down instead of remaining full.. Im thinking its the lack of gas exchange.. or maybe higher nitrates?...

Just wondering since its not a lot of surface agitation with the spin stream nossle.. Maybe I will go back to the other fixed nossle pointed to the surface and the mini circ pump

If you have a skimmer, you don't need to worry about surface gas exchange. The surface area of all those bubbles is colossal and will provide more than enough oxygenation. Just be sure the intake gets easy room air. 

I run my tanks with covers as well.  Humidity here can average 15% for months.  Air intake for the skimmer takes care of gas exchange just fine.

After looking at the design of the Nuvo 8g, it would seem to have enough gas exchange as there is an overflow to break the water surface tension. *

You said that your tank is new. Has it had a chance to cycle, or did you add these fish to a new setup? Is the liverock from another setup that was established?

*Now after looking again, I see the back filter section is also covered. That may present a problem. I am still curious about how long the setup has cycled and water parameters, particularly NH3 and NO2.

Edited by JManrow

After looking at the design of the Nuvo 8g, it would seem to have enough gas exchange as there is an overflow to break the water surface tension. *

You said that your tank is new. Has it had a chance to cycle, or did you add these fish to a new setup? Is the liverock from another setup that was established?

*Now after looking again, I see the back filter section is also covered. That may present a problem. I am still curious about how long the setup has cycled and water parameters, particularly NH3 and NO2.

The back chamber is open. its full so the water just moves and doesn fall down into the last chamber.

Its all cycled rock from my other set up tank, only new sand.  It has been set up for close to a month (3 weeks), week of my birthday

No skimmer but thats next on the purchase list

I have some sexy shrimp snails and hermits.. It could be still cycling but just wondering if anyone else had the problem

You could try using an air stone with very fine bubbles. Fine bubbles are better for gas exchange. But then again you might get some small air bubbles in the tank. I know that Nuvo is small for a skimmer so you could place the stone away from the pump in the far chamber.

I wanna get this skimmer for my tank.. People say it will fit in the back chamber.. Its just coming up with $150... Who wants to buy some zoas?!

Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9004

$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmdkBSBi1ld)ig~~60_35.J

I have a 9004 that's like new, not interested in any trades but you can have it for $100

Why did you not use it? Wasn't as good as you thought? Got a different brand?

But $100 is better than new..

I used it on a 40b QT tank I had setup in the garage and only got used temporarily.  

I've got a totally different setup now and no use for it. 

It's an awesome little skimmer and kicks out some serious funk.

Edited by Arsonmfg