Aquarium Science / OCCC

Qwe

Hello!  I'm new to the site, as I haven't lived in the area yet.  My wife and I currently live on the east coast and are planning to move to Newport, OR so I can attend OCCC for the Aquarium Science program next year.  We've dabbled in some saltwater with an Aquapod and we enjoy it enough to get back into it when we settle back down.  We mostly have planted freshwater tanks at the moment, though.

So I'm curious if there is:

anyone in the Newport area with advice about the area/houses?

anyone that has experience with the Aquarium Science program?

any other related advice/stories?

Thanks!

Qwe

Housing depends on your finacial situation. Little Creek

Apartments are nice and the run $725/mo, there are a few other spread through the town. I would check craigslist for housing.

The program is awesome. It is primarily focused on public aquarium work, but we do take some classes focused on research husbandry and aquaculture.

People think that this program is easy because it's fish and people do this for a hobby. Let me just say that the program is very intensive and there are students with Bachelor's and Master's degree in biological science that struggle with the course work. You'll never hear me complaining about it because they are the most interesting class I've ever taken by far.

The facility is top notch, the staff is top notch, the information is top notch. The people you will meet going through this program will amaze you. For example, not only am I on a first name basis with Charles Delbeek (Assistant Curator at Steinhart Aquarium and co-author of The Reef Aquarium), he asked me why I did have him on my list of recomendations and insisted that I put him there.

Overall, great program, great people, great town if you can take the weather and small town atmosphere.

Edited by cellowithgills

I am glad the program has done so well since we had discussed it with Tim Miller-Morgan and Dennis Glaze when it began a few years ago. We later had donated some nice corals and began discussion on our future work with some tank maintenance at HMSC, and were in the process of putting a maintenance team together in 2009. I had some family illness to tend to and the team never really followed through after I was unable to stay involved. I would like to see PNWMAS become involved again if there is enough group interest.

Please let us know about your activities with the program! The courses look very extensive!

Thanks for the replies!  For housing, we were actually looking to buy something... not looking to spend money on rent.

I take it you're a current student, cellowithgills.  What year is it for you?  What qualifications did you have to get in to the program?  Where do you hope the degree will take you?

Love how awesome it sounds!

This program is amazing and it was the best two years of my life!

Chris became director half way thru my degree and he had done so many amazing things in that short period of time.

Are you looking to get a degree or the certificate?

Nye Beach is a nice area if you're looking to buy as well as the bay front.

If you get your application all filled out right and if they're still doing phone interviews just do your best.

Also keep in mind where you want to take your career after the program that will help you when you decide where to do your internship. 

Also these members are amazing! My tank at school was the "coral" tank which didn't have much besides some things I brought from home. But these guys hooked us up with lots of corals and clams for the tank as well as HMSC. They invited us to come to their meeting which was very cool to meet everyone and see which corals came from which members. Thanks guys!

Good Luck!

- Michaela

• Like 1

I plan on the two year degree.  I'm also really curious where people with the degree ended up?  I'm not sure exactly where I want to go, just something to do with aquariums, big or small.

I'm planning to at least check out any clubs in the area, too.

It would be great to do some things together with PNWMAS and the program in Newport. Maybe a monthly meeting

with a speaker from their group??

I totally agree with this. Group activities are a great idea. Speakers from the Aquarium Science Program are always welcome here. We also would welcome speakers from the Hatfield Marine Science Center and the Oregon Coast Aquarium!

Edited by JManrow