Possible slow tank crash

Ninjabeaver

Hey guys something has to be off on my tank but I can't figure it out...

1. the frogspawn seemed to shed a bunch of flesh from the base, but seems to be hanging on.

2. Sour apple birdsnest is sloughing off flesh which I think started from the coral beauty picking it,but I havent seen it misbehave recently.

3. Now there is a dead spot growing on purple haze encrusting monti.

4. my green scrolling monti is faded and not looking good.

5.My big tricolor seems to be browning out except for the nice blue tips.

6. The tips of my blue stag stopped growing and died, very little PE even at night (i broke the tips off and its not growing back).

All of the other LPS like galaxea, torch, Softies are doing great, zoas are good.

I am at a loss here. At a glance my tank is looking great but the small details and stuff slowing dying is frustrating.

My water parameters seem to be spot on, temp is good, SG is good. I dose 2part via pump and has been very stable. My t5 bulbs are just under a year old, not going to replace because I will be switching tanks soon.

There is a ton of nasty stuff in my sump, which I am preparing to completely clean out (some kind of clear goop keeps growing on the surface and tons of detris has built up.

I suspect the goop is a clue. The goop in the sump (dinos?) must be getting nutrients from somewhere. Maybe some toxicity from the goop is making it to the DT? Try  more/newer carbon really heavy and track down where those excess nutrients are coming from. 

• Like 1

How old is the rodi filters have they changed color already?

two months ago I changed the media in the DI canister...it is the color changing variety and TDS meter still giving me a 0 on the output.

the sediment filter is dirty looking, and I always use the bypass valve and run a couple of gallons thru before and after making water.

I suspect the goop is a clue. The goop in the sump (dinos?) must be getting nutrients from somewhere. Maybe some toxicity from the goop is making it to the DT? Try  more/newer carbon really heavy and track down where those excess nutrients are coming from. 

I will increase change and increase carbon...I have a brs dual reactor with gfo and carbon...overtime the outflow slows down to barely anything because all the particles get clumped up, especially on the gfo, kinda want to change to the round phos particles.

Oh, and get the goop out of there. If they are dinos you want 'em gone. More info here

I can use a net to scoop it off the surface of the water in the sump so i do that whenever I see it.  Also planning on doing a full sump drain and clean out.  

In my display I dont get nuisance algae growth (beside a general film on the glass), it all occurs in the sump (red bubble, GHA)...I grow a large amount of chaeto which i trim every three weeks or so.

Completed deep sump cleaning...shut off return cleaned mj1200 for reactor..changed media.. Cleaned return out...scrubbed sump and shopvacced the nasty out...made 15 new gallons to replace what I took out and ran the reactor with return off into a sock once ran thru a few times started it all back up.

• Like 1

Your tank has always been so nice, you will overcome this!

I did have a coral beauty that was killing lps, that occasional nip can add up.

Given that all other parameters are good, Seachem reef plus can be a miracle worker sometimes when nothing else helps.  No, you cannot test for what it is dosing, so the blanket internet advice is to not dose it.  Those who know better would say 'try it, you will like it'.

Lastly, if you are getting the brown jelly, especially on that scoly, it is a good idea to start dipping it before it spreads and wipes it out.  That jelly once it starts can kill the whole piece.  I have heard stories of experienced people recovering from brown jelly but it takes some work apparently.

These are just my opinions, do some research before trying anything, it is possible I am nutty!

Best of luck to you, that can be super frustrating.

Could definitely be the bulbs.

Bad T5 will cause LPS to lose flesh and acro and other SPS to brown...I just went through that.

A year is definitely pushing it with t5's. I know some guys who change bulbs every 6 months(Frank). Coral gets around 75% of its food/energy from the sun...

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...