Just moved back to the PNW / Getting back into the hobby after 20+ years

mgscott

I just moved back to the PNW after being gone since the late 80's.  We've relocated to Beaverton, and am just now getting back into the hobby.  In the 90's, I had 3 tanks.  A 20 gal glass fresh that I kept on my desk at work, a 55 self-contained Wet/Dry Marine that I only kept fish (and a snowflake Moray Eel), and a 100 gal fresh at home.  I had to give it up in the mid 90's as I had to move out of state.

Now that we're back in the PNW, I just got a BioCube 29, and am taking my first stab at a mini-reef.  I set it up about a month ago.  I added the suggested CoralLife Protein Skimmer, an Eheim Jager 100w heater, and bought the suggested CoralLife UV Sterilizer, but not sure if I want to add it.  I also added the CoralLife circulation pump.

So far, I let it cycle for a week, then added about 15 lb of live rock.  I let it cycle for another week, then added 2 coral fragments, a peppermint shrimp, and a cleaner crew (3 snails, 3 hermit crabs, and a sand sifter star fish).  I let that cycle for a week, then once I made sure my salinity, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites were good, I got 2 more coral fragments, and 2 small clown fish.

So far that is it.  Once everything cycles there, and I stop battling brown algae, I'll start experimenting with other corals.

I know it's been suggested elsewhere that I upgrade the pump to a Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200, upgrade the CoralLife Protein Skimmer to a ComLine DOC 9001 Protein Skimmer, and replace the bio-balls with the 9001 and a Media Basket.  The Media Basket sounds like my old Fluval canister filter, so I'm not entirely sure if it's worth replacing the balls with the basket, or just get a canister filter in addition to what I already have (it's easier to clean a canister filter, than get in back of the tank).

So... my questions are...

1.  What are good places locally for equipment, fish, coral, and live rock

2.  Are there better online resources than Amazon

I prefer to buy locally for the most part, as I feel if I'm going to ask you (the store owner) questions, I should also provide you with my business, even though it may be cheaper online.  But the stores I've gone to so far don't HAVE much equipment.  I intentionally bought my tank locally for that reason.  I also play on getting a 2nd take in the 150gal range if all goes well.

Also, unlike in the past, where I mixed tap water with marine salt in 5 gallon jugs, there is all this talk these days about RO, and the store I bought my tank even supplies it.  Is it worth it?  I'm just making my salt water a day ahead of time, and will replace 5gal every 2-3 weeks.  Can I set up my own RO?  Or is it worth buying it from the store, or...

Thanks for your time,

Michael

Welcome to the forum Michael! A lot of things have changed since the 80's and 90's as you probably know! There are some great local fish stores. One of my favorites right now is Cuttlefishandcorals. Goldenbasketreef also has great corals. He is online but locals can pickup.

As far as for buying products Bulk Reef Supply has great prices and many online videos that are helpful.

Just posting on here is also a good way to get information.

Very few people use tap water there are lot of impurities including phosphates.  If you plan to grow sps you will need to use a cleaner water. You can get a good rodi pretty cheaply. In portland they also have chloramines in the water. I'm not sure about in Beaverton. If you are looking to get into sps a good filter is well worth getting.  Most of the people here will make their own salt water with ro and kent.

Welcome back mgscott! I have been using RO Water since the 1980s for my reef tanks, and in my opinion, it is the only way to go!  Get a unit that is RO/DI (deionizing resin). Good success with your tank begins with having good water quality. We are having a "Meet & Greet" on March 15th. Join us! http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/33510-march-meet-and-greet-at-moloko-sunday-3152015-400pm/

Also, unlike in the past, where I mixed tap water with marine salt in 5 gallon jugs, there is all this talk these days about RO, and the store I bought my tank even supplies it.  Is it worth it?  I'm just making my salt water a day ahead of time, and will replace 5gal every 2-3 weeks.  Can I set up my own RO?  Or is it worth buying it from the store, or...

Welcome Back! get yourself a $20 electronic TDS meter, pour a glass of tap water, get a glass of RO/DI water, now test both. This should give you a good indication of what route to take, the extra supplements included in tap water invites extra algae growth.

Edited by Exodus

Knowing your tap water, will let you know if your should go with a RO unit, GH and KH. If you are thinking advanced reef, it's just a good idea.

Better than Amazon. Amazon is harming small business, which also support this forum...

We pride our self on the type of on-line store we have, which is not like Amazon. Lots of information based on professional long term use of products. Based out of Southern Oregon, international on-line information provider/retailer.

Here is one such article on the use of RO water and osmoregulation of fish. Information you wont get from Amazon.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/12/how-do-fish-drink.html

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/