Please vote for SOLVE beach cleanup location :D :D

Higher Thinking

SOLVE Beach Cleanup Locations  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the city/cities that would work for your travels

As previously mentioned, our next meeting will be an organized beach cleanup event.  This is a huge state wide event that will be taking part all along the coast.  As such we need to decide where to host the meeting since so many people live in different areas.  I have set the poll up to allow for multiple votes, so please select 2 or 3 locations where you are willing to meet.  If there are a couple favorites, we may just split up the event to these different locations.  The cities are approximate for the actual areas because the cleanup locations aren't exactly based on a city.

We get to vote on where but not on if we think this is an activity we want to support. Why not clean up the Columbia , I don't have a 4 hour drive that way. I didn't think we were a service club, just a bunch of hobbyists raising fish and swapping frags.

Necessary post?

You don't have to do anything. Most of your fellow fish raising and frag swapping hobbyists like to give to the community. My apologies if this doesn't work for you.

• Like 1

Necessary post?

You don't have to do anything. Most of your fellow fish raising and frag swapping hobbyists like to give to the community. My apologies if this doesn't work for you.

You are really attuned to others opinions aren't you.  For my $24 you will get my opinions whether you like them or not.  Is this a necessary post?  I didn't know they had to be "necessary".  Please define a necessary post for me.

You are really attuned to others opinions aren't you.  For my $24 you will get my opinions whether you like them or not.  Is this a necessary post?  I didn't know they had to be "necessary".  Please define a necessary post for me.

Maybe they can refund you the money so we don't have to listen to you anymore...... 

You've been a troll for over a year on this site.  Sure I've been negative too but can be positive at times as well.  You on the other hand have been grumpy the entire time you've been here.  Cheer up once in awhile.  It's amazing what it does in the community.  People might even start to like you...

• Like 3

Hey everyone calm down now. :angel:  Pontus has a right to his opinion. Cleaning the Columbia or doing something local is not a bad idea as some people are limited with work , families or whatever with traveling.  I personally think the beach cleanup is a great idea but perhaps there are other opportunities for local service work.

When is this beach clean up supposed to happen?

Hey everyone calm down now. :angel: Pontus has a right to his opinion. Cleaning the Columbia or doing something local is not a bad idea as some people are limited with work , families or whatever with traveling. I personally think the beach cleanup is a great idea but perhaps there are other opportunities for local service work.

When is this beach clean up supposed to happen?

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/33439-solve-spring-oregon-beach-cleanup/

This event sounds just like what this club needs. To spread the word of good things the club can contribute to the community and not just be a classifieds forum. The original purpose of the club was to do things exactly like what this event is trying to accomplish.

You need to vote to decide whether it's worth it? Why would that need a vote? If you don't think it's worth it, don't go. How do doing good things for the environment while also putting the club in good light be a bad thing? I see nothing but good things it could accomplish. Glad to see these kind of events are being organized.

Don't always ask what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club.

• Like 6

All questions and opinions are welcome here. In the past years the club has been active with environmental and community issues, Tanks For Teachers - a sponsor program helping classrooms with marine aquariums, and becoming associated with the Oregon Aquarium and Hatfield Marine Science Center, and most recently, the Portland Aquarium. We have always tried to integrate education and participation with outside groups. We need to remember that we are in a hobby that has always had different opinions and different ways of doing things.  This does not always mean one person is wrong and the other right. As we get involved in events outside of the confines of an online forum, we will have an opportunity to know each other. PNWMAS has always been more than just a forum or buyer's club. Let's get busy!

Maybe they can refund you the money so we don't have to listen to you anymore...... 

You've been a troll for over a year on this site.  Sure I've been negative too but can be positive at times as well.  You on the other hand have been grumpy the entire time you've been here.  Cheer up once in awhile.  It's amazing what it does in the community.  People might even start to like you...

I'll take the refund.  I would hate to make others think about something new.  How many paying customers are left 10-15?

Edited by Pontus

Hey this has went to far! Someone was just expressing how they felt! I agree that the Columbia river would be a more reasonable idea the driving 3 hours to the beach... But Pontus I feel like you can be a bit of a troll. Noob to salt that wasn't nessisary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey this has went to far! Someone was just expressing how they felt! I agree that the Columbia river would be a more reasonable idea the driving 3 hours to the beach... But Pontus I feel like you can be a bit of a troll. Noob to salt that wasn't nessisary!

Trust me there are plenty here that were thinking something far worse to type. You haven't been here long enough to see his actions. Either way I still vote for oceanside. :)

We get to vote on where but not on if we think this is an activity we want to support. Why not clean up the Columbia , I don't have a 4 hour drive that way.  I didn't think we were a service club, just a bunch of hobbyists raising fish and swapping frags.

First lets review. We are a club that is focused on marine, or saltwater aquaria. This makes us inherently tied to the ocean, not the fresh (?) water of the Columbia river. If you don't want to participate, then by all means stay away. 

Second, while your opinion is welcome, the way you put it makes it rather abrasive and seem rude and unfriendly. 

Third, while some may agree with Jesse's option of a refund, that's just not the way it works. 

Being in Eugene, any of the options listed in the poll would be quite a drive for me as well. I could whine and ask why Florence was not listed as an option, but instead I just accept that I am on the southern fringe of the clubs demographic base. Many who know me will attest that I have driven far and wide to participate in activities of this club as well as buy, sell, trade, and sometimes just deliver for others things that they have bought, sold or traded with other members. 

Sorry Andrew that this thread has turned into another drama fest. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled poll.............................

I'm excited to see so many people interested in the Beach Clean Up. SOLVE is a great group, they do a lot for the environment. It is very cool to see so many people interested in helping them out with our beaches. 

We get to vote on where but not on if we think this is an activity we want to support. Why not clean up the Columbia , I don't have a 4 hour drive that way.  I didn't think we were a service club.....

Pontus just so ya know, not a dime of club money has gone into this. We did talk about it in May, and I started working on this in October. Johns come along, and been a ton of help too. All the club has given thus far is just peoples time to get it together. We are joining another organization to assist them in cleaning the beaches is all. It is a far drive for me as well, but IME it is worth the trip. We'll be organizing some carpools too to save gas.  If you look at all the beaches listed this year it's like SOLVE is cleaning half of our coast in one day. It's pretty awesome. 

As someone who runs the TFT program, helps to run the club, speaks at schools as a representative of the club, and services tanks for disabled children I can tell you there definitely is service work being done for the club, almost weekly. It's just a way for those who want to give back to be able to do so. If you don't have the time or what not, no worries man. 

Since Oceanside isn't on there I vote Oceanside.  Would be able to be a cool time to clean up the beach as well as check out the tidepools out there. :)

SOLVE picks the spots, not us. Oceanside isn't on there list for this event, otherwise it might have been my top pick too. 

This event sounds just like what this club needs. To spread the word of good things the club can contribute to the community and not just be a classifieds forum. The original purpose of the club was to do things exactly like what this event is trying to accomplish.

You need to vote to decide whether it's worth it? Why would that need a vote? If you don't think it's worth it, don't go. How do doing good things for the environment while also putting the club in good light be a bad thing? I see nothing but good things it could accomplish. Glad to see these kind of events are being organized.

Don't always ask what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club.

Thanks! 

I'm looking forward to the Cleanup. It's a good fun family activity and a good cause. It may not be picnic weather, but we can still all get together somewhere afterwards!

We should totally do that. After we see which beaches are being picked, we can try to find a neutral spot somewhere. 

Being in Eugene, any of the options listed in the poll would be quite a drive for me as well. I could whine and ask why Florence was not listed as an option, but instead I just accept that I am on the southern fringe of the clubs demographic base. Many who know me will attest that I have driven far and wide to participate in activities of this club as well as buy, sell, trade, and sometimes just deliver for others things that they have bought, sold or traded with other members.

There is nothing that says the club cant go to multiple beaches. I think you were there when we talked about it at the October BOD meeting about picking beaches closest to different cities. If you and some of the Eugene guys want to pick a spot, we can help you with the registration. 

Helping the Ocean is a good things guys. Let's just focus on that. :D

Can we do somewhere with some nice tidepools?

Then we could plan the cleanup around a very low tide...that way we could not only clean up the beach, but could also do some collecting, or just looking(for those without a cold tank)...

I vote Pacific City due to a brewery/restaurant, and some great tidepooling areas nearby.

• Like 1