Bangaii Cardinals Spawn

JManrow

Yeah, they are always begging for food. I'm thinking about moving the remaining fry into a 20 gallon all by themselves that has live rock, a 4" DSB, plants, and a sponge filter. I will move the Scooter Dragonets that are currently in there into the main display tank. They were doing so well because I fed them at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Edited by JManrow

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of the Banggai Cardinalfish fry that survived from the first breeding attempt in my reef tank. They are in a 20g of their own now, and are 35 days free-swimming. They are about 10mm long (almost a half inch), and have been eating dry fish food.
The adult pair spawned again a couple of weeks ago, and there should be more young in the tank any day now. I will relocate the fry this time from the breeding net to their own tank, as soon as they are eating dry food. All 12 were eating dry food, but started dying until they were removed and placed where they have places to hide and feel secure. Many are lost easily to fear, going into shock when not provided shelter. I may even add a bit of Chaeto to the breeding trap with the next batch.

Baby%20Banggais_zpsr30xrmqi.jpg

Edited by JManrow
  • Like 1

this would be a fun adventure to have.. raising your own young to send out into the big tank.. 

Im going to try and do the same when my sexy shrimp start dropping their eggs.. If I can figure out when they will release.. I should set up a small tank for them now if I want to I guess

I attempted (unsuccessfully) to capture the male Banggai. His mouth appears to be very full of fry, and I as hoping to place him in the breeder net to release the fry. It looks like I will again have to capture what fry I find in the display tank.

• 2 weeks later...

My male Banggai is eating again. I see no signs of fry in the tank.  Any in there must have been eaten. At least I know that I have a breeding pair, and they will no doubt breed again. Next time, I should capture the male while the fry are in his mouth, or set up a tank just for the pair.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

20150904_133853_zpsemfxmevb.jpg

Yesterday, I noticed the swollen jaw of the male Banggai Cardinal, indicating they have spawned again. That, and that he will not be eating for the next 20 days or so!

I have a couple of longspine sea urchins this time. Hopefully, this will help the fry from being eaten this time. Feeding them does not seem to present a problem. Capturing them before being eaten does!

Awesome! Not to hijack your thread at all. But I did a little bit of a writeup a few years ago. I used to crank these guys out. I had it all posted here but it was lost in the crash. I could post it again but here is a link to it over at reef central. I hadn't checked in there for a while and I see there was a pretty big response. I guess I should follow up with it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990387

Nice write up... you should follow up with it! :thumbs:

I always have brine already hatched, and have found that I only need to hatch one batch of eggs. I have had my Banggai fry exclusively eating powdered Cobalt Aquatics Pro Breeder Flakes within a few days of the free-swimming stage.

• 3 weeks later...

You got it going on there J-Man, captive bred locally raised cardinals, you know I want some.

Mike at MVP Aquatics used to raise large amounts of these guys, I am sure if you look into his old threads you could find the whole write up on Bangai cardinal breeding\raising. By the looks of it you may already have a system going.

• Like 3

You got it going on there J-Man, captive bred locally raised cardinals, you know I want some.

Mike at MVP Aquatics used to raise large amounts of these guys, I am sure if you look into his old threads you could find the whole write up on Bangai cardinal breeding\raising. By the looks of it you may already have a system going.

It looks like the next step is to separate them after a few weeks. The juveniles appear to turn aggressive against each other at some point. I would like to hear what Mike may have to say about this.

It looks like the next step is to separate them after a few weeks. The juveniles appear to turn aggressive against each other at some point. I would like to hear what Mike may have to say about this.

John, they are developing pecking order, it natural that way. As long as you have hiding place and rock work that should be enough to break temporary agression among each other.

• Like 1

John, they are developing pecking order, it natural that way. As long as you have hiding place and rock work that should be enough to break temporary agression among each other.

Thanks Rudy.  It's very frustrating to have them all eating and growing, then kill each other off! I have urchins and heavy Caulerpa growth now. Hopefully, that will make a difference. I also have a couple boxes of rock in the other room.

How often do you feed them?

They do get territorial but I have only really seen it for two reasons. Lack of available food and breeding. I really never lost any due to aggression. They would cohabitate peacefully for like 6+ months. After which they would start to pair off and I would separate them and mix batches from other bloodlines.

My guess if at that young they are taking each other down they are lacking food. Stronger individuals are taking weaker ones out to limit competition. I would feed 4-6 times a day. Enriched BBS. And then start to mix in dry/frozen foods.