Dictyota Algae Outbreak

Zwickm

Hi - 

I'm looking for recommendations on how to rid my tank of Dictyota algae which has been growing over my rocks.  It must have been hitchhiking on a new coral and i missed it. It crawls across the works and encrusts it so very hard to get off. I have tried to pick it off but even the smallest piece will regrow.

My tank has fish, shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, SPS, LPS and soft corals.  Any advice from someone who has dealt with it would be greatly appreciated. Below if a picture.

dictyota_300x400.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the links. Yea, this stuff is a nightmare to get rid of. I think I might pull the rock it's on and try to scrub/pick it off.

I heard a ton of people mention API Algaefix as a possible solution? I do not plan to add any of the few fish that may eat it but a pincushion urchin might be an option.

Long discussion on it here. Various mixed results. If you are going to try API AlgaeFix Marine, I would read all this first, and use extreme caution.  http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/the-official-api-algaefix-thread-for-trt-211544-8.html

Note: This is not a recommendation to use this product.

Edited by JManrow

Much agreed on the quote "nothing good happens fast" in this hobby!  I have never added chemicals in my tanks and am hoping not to have to with this. Thought I would ask since I read a lot of mixed results using Algeafix.

I'm thinking I'll pull the rock to clean off as much as possible, get a pincushion urchin and continue to run Rowaphos/carbon in my reactor. The weird thing is that most of this algae in my tank is growing along the rocks like veins more so than out from the rock. I hope this means it's not thriving and will be easier to get under control.