February Meeting 2015 Portland Aquarium Tour

badxgillen

The February Meeting for 2015 was held at the Portland Aquarium wich was a great choice of location. There was plenty of space for the group as we got a table to call our own and a dedicated tour guide to show us all the displays and there inner workings,very cool. Everything at the Aquarium was very clean and well taken care of, the tour guide was well versed in the knowledge needed to maintain not just the aquariums and the equipment but the other animals as well. We took up the whole last 2 hours of their time going through the whole place inside and out and that is exactly what I had hoped for. A pretty decent turnout this time around,makes me sad I did not bring any corals but there is always next time tight...And now for some pictures.

IMGP6843_zps8cnaf36i.jpg

Here was a nice picture of many of the people who attended the meet, there is a couple people missing form the picture but you can get the idea that we were all having a good time and were in good company. Being in the Aquarium made it a bit more open and free so not every one was at the same place at the same time, I found myself running behind trying to take everything in.

IMGP6873_zpsswm9ckid.jpg

Like I said the speaker was great and really had our attention during the behind the scenes part of the tour, look at all the equipment in there.

IMGP7362_zps78xrmy3b.jpg

I would hat to do the maintenance on all these filters, skimmer after skimmer after sock after sock...

So many different setups to take in, here is a tide pool biotope with a surge device that floods the pools every half hour or so making a natural wave type action, he made it sound so easy to build in your backyard.

IMGP6959_zpsabaituke.jpg

Most of them were pretty informative, especially if you were not versed in the subject of marine biology.

DSCF0789_zpssp7wcvvf.jpg

Gotta love the jellyfish exhibits with the full on kresel and LEDs

DSCF0868_zpsvygd9vqp.jpg

The reef tank was an impressive sight wich fro some reason suprised me. It looked really good, I saw a number of things I wanted to take home.

DSCF0762_zpsg9noje2w.jpg

• Like 1

As usual many of us got to socialize some with our aweosme group, I got to meet a few people this time around that I had not before.

DSCF0758_zpsbysy76z5.jpg

Mtrillion and gram, glad you two could make it, I will bring you another zoa frag on our next meet.

DSCF0757_zpsey3qe3zi.jpg

Chief , Highthinking, and Sroberts leading the pack, first to get the group rolling.

DSCF0791_zpsl7fthoys.jpg

Sinister Jeff...No just Jeff.

DSCF0793_zpsf3pqijmw.jpg

Hamstern with some killer camera skills.

DSCF0812_zpspyw6dtux.jpg

Andrew next to a Boss sand filter.

DSCF0819_zpskslbozmk.jpg

Fernando checking out the shallows, killer corals you are keeping man, stellar colors.

IMGP6995_zps3ar0xmnn.jpg

and last but not least a few more pictures of people just having a good time and hanging out, this is what a big part of this is all about. All of us getting together, learning, teaching, and helping one another. This is a good thing PNWMAS thank you all, you guys Rock!

IMGP7319_zpsq82vzlol.jpg

The sting ray tank had a few reefers around for a good chat.

IMGP7144_zpsres6u39k.jpg

The Clark came by and brought some corals for a members auction, what a pleasant surprise!

IMGP7433_zpsqy5kg3cx.jpg

Good day people, Great Meeting!

• Like 1

Too bad there is still so much hate for Portland aquarium because of the Oregonian hack job awhile back.

The "problem people" with the importing of animals are no longer affiliated with the aquarium. They did have a rough first year with animal deaths, but that is rather typical of new tanks and part of the learning curve. In my dealings with the Aquarium they have always seemed concerned with the well being of the animals and have continued to improve their systems to take better care of them. They are not the greatest aquarium in the world, but they are worth supporting IMO.

• Like 2

I was unable to attend Sunday, but feeling much better now. It sounds like there have been many improvements on the place and it has a very qualified staff! I had not been there since the grand opening back in December of 2012. People make mistakes, sometimes big ones. It seems they are all working hard to make it the best place possible under their new Administration. Was there any talk of taking on volunteers at the Portland Aquarium? If not, this would still be a good opportunity to work along with them!

Their main reef is pretty nice...I think they should drop the bird deal and focus on aquariums.

I agree the main reef exhibit has improved, as it has had a chance to grow out a bit. Many public aquarium have integrated a water fowl section, and been successful. I know this bird section is very different from that, and there are a lot of bird lovers that visit. It think it really adds to the whole thing. When we went there they had mermaids... they definitely should keep the mermaids.

oregonmermaids_zps2ce21bd1.jpg

I did some searching and found some pics from the 'Member Only' Portland Aquarium pre-Grand Opening on 12-10-2012, a couple of days before the Official Grand Opening. As you can see the Reef Tank has changed quite a bit.

IMG_4267_zpsc808509c.jpg

Original Portland Aquarium Staff 2012

portlandaquariumstaff_zps6671cab9.jpg

Constance, myself, and Mermaid Colette

portlandaquarium_zpsd50e0ded.jpg

• Like 1

As usual many of us got to socialize some with our aweosme group, I got to meet a few people this time around that I had not before.

DSCF0758_zpsbysy76z5.jpg

Mtrillion and gram, glad you two could make it, I will bring you another zoa frag on our next meet.

DSCF0757_zpsey3qe3zi.jpg

Chief , Highthinking, and Sroberts leading the pack, first to get the group rolling.

DSCF0791_zpsl7fthoys.jpg

Sinister Jeff...No just Jeff.

DSCF0793_zpsf3pqijmw.jpg

Hamstern with some killer camera skills.

DSCF0812_zpspyw6dtux.jpg

Andrew next to a Boss sand filter.

DSCF0819_zpskslbozmk.jpg

Fernando checking out the shallows, killer corals you are keeping man, stellar colors.

IMGP6995_zps3ar0xmnn.jpg

I would like that! thanks