Injured skin on tomato clown

SuperNan79

I have a unique problem apparently because  I can't find anything on google.  I have two tomato clowns I moved to my sump due to a power outage and not having enough resources to support the tank they were in.  The main display above the sump already has a pair of clowns so that was out of the idea. 

Aaaaanyways,... so the sump has some extra rock I'm seeding for a family member to start a tank and the rock is stacked so that the water has to flow through it- it's all the way to the surface across the center of the sump.  The clowns were a bit freaked out by the sudden move and during the night my large tomato tried to jump the 'rockwall'.  Unsuccessfully.  She found herself with her head enough in the water to survive but she was almost all the way upside down with the left side of her belly out of water.  I don't know why she didn't flop more because it appeared that she would have easily been able to flip herself and end up on the other side of the wall.  So, that area of her skin was exposed to air for a prolonged amount of time and must have dried up a bit.  I got her back in the water as soon as I saw her in the morning and she seemed fine.  Later that day I noticed that that area seemed to be peeling and now we are 3 days later and the peeling continues.  It is restricted to the area that was exposed and she shed part of the fins on that side as well.  I'd wait it out and let it heal but she's not really eating.  Has interest in eating but is either not feeling well or is freaked out by the move still- goes up to the food but doesn't eat it.  

I hand caught her and placed her in a bath of tank water with melafix in it for about 20 minutes- should I do this often?  I don't want to add it to the entire tank because it does kill bacteria and I feel like things are just finally getting balanced in there.  Should I do an area treatment with some iodine?  I can capture her relatively easily by hand because of the size of the sump and could hold her over a container and apply some iodine or is that too harsh- maybe dilluted iodine?  

Ideas please?  I don't want to set up a hospital tank but can if I get a general consensus that it's the best solution.

I'd try some Stress Coat, Polyaqua, or any other synthetic slime coat product. Pull her out, do a bath and leave her alone. As long as she's eating she should be ok. Watch for fungal or bacterial infections. Also, if the tissue dies and become necrotic, she may need to have the wound debrided and cleaned with Betadine, Chlorhexidine, or Silver Sulfadiazine.

Thanks all for the help- I lost her last night.  It happened pretty quick over the course of 6 days, the last two I could see she was going downhill.  I had an airstone in with the melafix tank, but I agree- it sucks the Oxygen out and I hope that I didn't facilitate her death by trying that.  It was sad to see her mate last night- he was either distraught or thought she was trying to lay eggs?  He was meticulously cleaning a spot in the sand next to her and fanning his tail at it to blast debris out of the area.  He got up under her side fin and would nudge her forward (she was listing side to side late last night and I figured I'd lose her by morning).  So sad she died like that- kinda wish she just flopped ALL the way on the rocks and spared herself these last 6 days of misery.

On a good note- we took lemons and made lemonade.  

The boy tomato was hiding in this fake hollow rock and wouldn't come out (stressed I'm guessing).  So, I took a gamble and put him in the main display (he was in the sump) with my pair of oscellaris based on the following: it's a male, he's bigger than the female oscellaris, there's LOTS of hiding places in the display, and I would have several hours before going to bed to monitor interaction.  

SUCCESS!  Ironically (and I'd forgotten about this) the 13" long engineer/convict goby that, up until a week ago, was together with the tomatoes in a 30 gallon (yeah not ideal- was temporary too long) and the male tomato loved to sleep snuggled into the goby's long body folds!  He would hang with the goby more than the female tomato.  Well, guess who got plopped right into the 75's main display a week ago when there was power issues?  The goby.  So, once the clowns all checked each other out and decided to just ignore each other- the tomato seemed excited to be in such a large tank and was swimming ALLLLLLL over- which I decided was either excitement or he was looking for his mate.  Then the goby came out to eat and it was love reunited, lol (que the music... "reunited and it feels so goooood...").  Now the tomato boy is 'hosting'? 'paired up with'? whatever you want to call it- he doesn't leave the goby, lol.

CRAZY FREAKIN' CLOWNS!