hi I'm a newbie......

hello I'm a newbie ...I am getting ready to turn my 55g into a reef tank....I have been a info junkie for quite some time and I think I'll be getting my feet wet in the next couple weeks/months.(scary) I'll be posting in the classified section but I was wondering if anyone knows anyone whos selling liverock fairly cheap(student) or what their favorite lfs are in my area and the salem/ portland area....I'm in eugene but we only have a few stores here and I'd like to venture around ...any recomendations? thanks for all your imput:D

welcome to the club. If you can make it to the meeting on the 24th in Salem, you can meet us all there in person.

As for LR, I got mine from Sean at Ciclids&Salt in Springfield. he was making a trip to LA, and got rock for a special $3/lb. That is about as cheep as you will get at a store. People sometimes sell for less. Check the classified section.

Again, welcome.

dsoz :)

I also frequent NR.com :) I have the same screen name. Are you the same name on NR? There is also cyenna and dewzap. I talked with Oregon on NR, and invited him here, but have not seen him. If there is anyone else from our area there, invite them too. :) This group is more like a family, NR people are more like friends.

Meetings are usually on one Sunday per month in the Portland/Salem area, and we are just starting to add a saturday meeting each month in the Eugene/Springfield area. This month there is only one meeting, but after that the Eugene meetings are all scheduled for several months.

oh awsome so happy to hear they will be some on saturdays......hopfully my new job wont take that saturday. I dont know many people on the nr cause I'm just starting there too but the friends I have made are no where near oregon , and yep I'm still littlemissy617 on nr too and yahoo im . I'm so excited your all so close....I'd like to have a saltfamily:D I will be trying to get ahold oh the guy from chilids and salt(kind difficult) and buying my lr(clap) oooo I'm so excited!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the group and to the hobby! :)

Check out our listing of local fish stores that advertise here at the PNWMAS forums. They are in the LFS Announcement catagory. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/index.php

If you would like to receive regular notifications of PNWMAS meetings and events, please send me a PM, and I will add you to the Evite list. Hope you can make the meeting on the 24th!

Another Eugene reefer!! Welcome to the site.

I also started out on NR, though i don't visit there much anymore. Sean is a good guy, leave him a msg and send him a pm here at the site, or even post in his forum. I buy a lot of stuff from him and he's always treated me well.

Hope you have a camera, cuz we all like pics here!

Miles

lol oh I like you guys already...I have a cell phone to take pics and I can borrow a camera...I will eventualling be getting one but at the moment my main focous(besides rent and food)(whistle) will be getting my tank going. at the moment I dont have my salt mix or even live rock....I have been talking to sean at cichlids and salt and hes gonna be getting the 3$lbs in soon so at the moment my tank is so sad and lonely I'm cleaning it up because before it was my freshwater community. as soon as I get stuff in it I will take lots of pics cause I'll be one proud momma...but I am going to try to take it slow cause I know once I have the live rock in there....oh man will it be tortcher towait till its done cycling and not spend my hole paycheck filling it up DOH! lol it will be a experience so any advice you wanna throw my way I welcome with open arms

thanks again for the support....so in the next couple months any one with fraggs feel free to drop me a line. have a great day everyone:D

oh does someone want to explain the whole whale ' date=' toadfish, angler and so on part to me....is that our levels?....wow toadfish?hmmmmmm[/quote']

I take credit for Toad Fish :) When I was new hear I wondered what it was too. I suggested it and it took. Your beyond it now:)

The more posts, the bigger the fish you become... except the whale, which is not a fish. It is a mammal... But we all know that... Anyway, I hope that you get some good rock. I chose Fiji branch because of the cool shapes, but I am finding it hard to aquascape with places to put frags. I need some smaller, round rocks to fill in the gaps, and to have places to put things.

Welcome. Sean is great and the rock will not dissappoint. I got walt smith fiji live rock from Sean. It has great shapes and color. Easier to aquascape too. That is what I suggest. Best price on rock in town. Get your salt from him too. He has good deals. Might as well save on gas and do it in one trip.