January Meeting 2015 With Scott Fellman

badxgillen

An excellent talk about Nutrient Control and Export by a great speaker, Scott Fellman. This was the highlight of the January 2015 PNWMAS meeting and it certainly delivered, not only was it am informative and insightful recap on many things it was also fleshed out form a professional coral propagators perspective. We even got to ask follow up questions on each of his presented subjects but and then some odd ball ones towards the end like Lex and his frag plug problems or whats his feelings on dosing. Added to this was a generous number of killer Unique Coral frags that were the prizes added to the raffle, I saw a few peices that I would not mind putting into my display but for once I was not the one walking away with more coral...Until after the meet but we will get tot hat here soon enough, A GREAT TIME... And now for some pictures.

WP_20150117_036_zps3e6cce66.jpgThanks to our fearless leader to getting this event put together, we appreciate the work being put in by the people behind the scenes, I wish I got shots of all who were involved but I was so engrossed in conversation that I missed some opportune shots not to mention I only had the cell phone, wich prompts me now to apologize for any lacking in photo quality. Robyna,Smann,HigherThinking,you know who you are...Thank You.

WP_20150117_028_zpsbbf0de33.jpg

And lets not forget the Official PNWMAS shirts so you can represent in style, I snagged one for the road and plan on making my coral store rounds with this bad boy on from time to time. It has a list of some of our best sponsors on the back REEFSTAR, Cuttlfish and Corals, The Premium Aquarium,TECO, and Cold Water Marine. A great list that I hope to see more of on future shirts.

WP_20150117_019_zps1ad44a84.jpg

BicycleBill had some good things to say about the Red Sea Nitrate phosphate reducer he has been using and some pointers on how he keeps such a nice SPS tank. Kyle's Father is no noob to the reefing hobby and certainly had much to contribute to the conversation, he seemed to know all about the Aqua Euro skimmer pumps when I told him of a issue I had recently had.

WP_20150117_017_zpsd9e65597.jpg

Bad guitarist is another coral veteran that made it out to the meeting and I am glad I got the chance to chat with him for a little bit. He always has some fun experiences to talk about and useful information regarding the marine hobby. I still need to hit him up for another coral food recipe and a frag of that killer blue stylo.

I had a good time, Lauren had a good time, HigherThinking had a good time and I think it was thumbs up all around.

WP_20150117_013_zps09092226.jpg

WP_20150117_012_zps1396113e.jpg

I think I saw a Bombertech in there somewhere but can't say for sure.

it was held at the Lucky Labrador in Portland this time around and this meant some good pizza for most of us and some micro brews for the others. We had the whole upstairs banquet room for the presentation and that was awesome, a room full of like minded peoples and you never know what can come about, good stuff.

WP_20150117_011_zpsb7ed9ccb.jpg

Lexinverts explaining some options in LEDs and Macro algaes to Eclipse, it always helps to have another persons experience and knowledge when it comes to making a decision, Lex has a little of both to give and I always enjoy talking with him.

WP_20150117_021_zps461de35d.jpg

Right off the bat you could tell that Scott was a likable guy, he had a certain sense of humor about him that made him rather approachable. Lots of hand gestures and clear voice helped in his communication to the audience, this also indicates a sense of enthusiasm for the subject, no faking the coral passion here, this guy lives and breaths the coral hobby.

WP_20150117_039_zps722b2200.jpg

There were some great topics covered in the speech from basic refugium functions and macro algae use to flow dynamics and coral feeding. I especially liked some of the basic old school things he mentioned to still be true like Deep Sand Beds or the fads to have come and gone in the hobby including the old star board bottoms.He definitely made it clear that he is a big fan of the Triton System and although he does not endorse them via profit he does endorse them as a recommendation for long term success. Even once a couple of months would be of great assistance to get on track and keep on track.

WP_20150117_040_zps67496a92.jpg

There were many things he also talked about from his experiences that I found informative and interesting and that is all you can ask for in a speaker. Talking about mass 30 foot race ways of corals and closed loops systems with gyre style flows to accommodate hundreds of corals will always get my attention. I am at the very least envious of this mans job, but I can dream can't I !?

WP_20150117_042_zpsa51653d6.jpg

When the raffle time came I was prepared with my six ticket count but so was the rest of the crowd, a collection of prizes that were sure fire hits. Here Smann and Lauren are running the Tecekt racket here and Ice is just supervising the mayhem...OK no mayhem just a good time.

WP_20150117_046_zps19624ae2.jpg

What a in depth conversation Jmanrow was having with Scott, I love eavesdropping on big J to learn a thing or two and get a different perspective on things, It never hurts to grow in this hobby. Mitrillion knows what I am talking about , he is paying attention. Remember the plenums?...I do.

WP_20150117_052_zps3e4cca3d.jpg

This picture here did not come out well at all but I wanted to include it to show some laughing and smiling faces all in one spot, PNWMAS Does it right!

WP_20150117_050_zps9685bf0b.jpg

Did I mention a big thank you to Kevin and the BOD?... I know I did but I just wanted to include this one shot of the prez as it has the picture of the Labrador in the background and he won...Get it "Lucky Labrador"...Uhg.

WP_20150117_023_zpsed67e108.jpg

WP_20150117_056_zps45287947.jpg

And with that PEACE OUT FELLOW REEFERS!!! It was a blast, I thank you all for attending and helping make it such a good event, until next time my friends.

Edited by badxgillen
  • Like 4

No problem, I just wish I got more pictures of the other members that attended. Sometimes it is hard to break away from a conversation. If I only talked to each person for 5 minutes I might have been able to make rounds but that was not the case.Forgive me.

Next time I will do my best to engage with the less frequent attendees. On another note afterwards I got to check out bicyclebils tank, spectacular! Great coral specimens with spot on colors, the kessils T-5 seems to be doing the job right. 

WP_20150117_066_zpse61579a3.jpg

Lat time I tried a blue face angel I lost some coral but this guy seems to be living life just fine.and so many wrasses,jealous of that leopard.

WP_20150117_063_zps4c353e5c.jpg

Not only did he invite us into his home to see his reef aquarim he napped us off a couple peices of coral including this odd ball.

WP_20150117_064_zpsfed2643f.jpg

Thanks a bunch man, maybe I could send you a frag in return here soon, with a tank filling up like yours you must have to be choosy about the new acquisitions.We were also able to make a pit stop at Upscales and snag a couple other corals. All around good day if you ask me.

It was a good meeting, and I managed to gather good information from the speaker as well as a number of members. One of these days you should attend a meeting again, make a cameo of sorts. Mitrillion , the Mohawks I gave you are pretty fast growing and can become invasive to slower growing zoas so I like to keep them on a rock of their own on the sand bed. I can't remember the other coral I gave you but if they are doing well I am sure I can get some others for you at some point. Thanks again for coming out.

It was a good meeting, and I managed to gather good information from the speaker as well as a number of members. One of these days you should attend a meeting again, make a cameo of sorts. Mitrillion , the Mohawks I gave you are pretty fast growing and can become invasive to slower growing zoas so I like to keep them on a rock of their own on the sand bed. I can't remember the other coral I gave you but if they are doing well I am sure I can get some others for you at some point. Thanks again for coming out.

I do plan on attending one day again. I miss everyone. Thanks for showing a picture of the T-shirts. There was a contest a few years back and Toby Flenderson aka James was the one who came up with the design on the back. He also was the one to name the now famous Krakatoa zoa. Rick T was very instrumental in getting them made! :).

Once again,thanks for posting this.I really wish I could have been there.I could have definitely used some pointers on nutrient export.Bicyclebill your aquarium is impressive.Your coral collection looks healthy and vigorous.Especially the pavona and your montiporas.