Matty's 29g Biocube!

matty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Figured it might be time for an update! Tank is doing good except for an ongoing algae issue but with twice weekly water changes and the addition of a Tunze 9002 skimmer, it's subsiding. I lost one of my cardinals, he never really would eat like the other one despite offering quite the variety. I added a yellow coris wrasse to eat the few planaria I found cruising the glass, plus I have always liked them. Hobart the eel is doing well and continues to come out more and more. Here are a few crappy cell phone pics.

A3C12C5B-A664-4F92-9A57-D4C379D57C14_zps

C017D5C9-0D27-4B5C-BAEE-D488B1A12628_zps

54D2B189-3156-4ECB-9AC7-B363FB8FB320_zps

91D90FF3-1A21-4F88-BFFD-94EA98F2F724_zps

CAB6E8B2-0F85-42AD-90BA-31D24D1F9EE1_zps

B0CB1AD1-03CD-4181-A61E-E4A2E00029EA_zps

• Like 4

I think I finally figured out that my rock is leaching phosphates. I added an IM desktop reactor running a small amount of GFO. These reactors are very well designed and are super easy to set, I'm hoping this helps get rid of my algae issue since twice weekly 5 gallon water changes weren't getting it.

I think I finally figured out that my rock is leaching phosphates. I added an IM desktop reactor running a small amount of GFO. These reactors are very well designed and are super easy to set, I'm hoping this helps get rid of my algae issue since twice weekly 5 gallon water changes weren't getting it.

I hate that problem, lost allot of enjoyable reef time on that issue.  Glad you are ahead of the curve and figured it out 10x faster than I did.

I really like what you have done Matty! I was thinking when I finally do set up a tank it will probably be a biocube. I have always loved them. Yet they are a challenge to get enough flow and light to do sps. I was thinking just a zoa and softy tank. I like the idea of a small reactor and love the custom cover you put on it! You have done a great job! ???? keep me in mind when you want to upgrade and want to sell it????