so I bought a 210 reef tank

spendyimpulse

So I bought a 210 reef tank, although enjoyable, just not into it as much as I thought I would be.

I didn't consider the amount of water evaporating into the atmosphere. Starting to see a few mold/mildew spots on the window sills. I did no research before buying. Didn’t know of a "wet room". So off it goes my loss your gain kinda thing.

It is set up well a good ro/di system, aquamatic electronic controller, about 150 lbs of live rock, 75 gal sump w/skimmer

There are a couple different corals I'm so new to this I don't even know what kind they are, but I think they are pretty cool.  (I will try to put pictures to this)

The fishes are:

regular clown

black and white clown

pink and green six line

3 tangs

blue angel fish

flame hawk fish

lemon watcher

2 damsel

2 red tails

1 anemone (I think its still in there it likes to move around)

I'm calling all this an expensive lesson about impulse buying.

Does any one want any or all of this It will be cheap to free depending.

If you have a couple strong guys and take it down yourself it's yours.

If I take it down and part out, no reasonable offer refused.

I’ve had it about 6 months and need it out soon before the molds get any worse.

Alternatively is there anything to be done about this problem so I can keep going in the hobby?

As I said it is enjoyable but not with these problems.

ugh files to big to upload can be seen at http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hsh/4846791777.html

Sorry your having troubles, but if you want help you did come to the right place.

The evaporation can be minimized through the selection of equipment. I evaporate about a gallon a day on my system that holds 130g or so. It's not enough for condensation on the windows at my place. I used to live in an apartment with not so good insulation and had to run a dehumidifier there with my 30g system. Dehumidifiers aren't to expensive and do a good job of pulling moisture out of the air IME. At the apartment we would pull several gallons of water out a day (much more then the tank evaporated).

Other ways to minimize evaporation would be to vent your canopy, especially depending on what kind of lighting you are using. Sometimes venting can be as easy as drilling a few holes.

You might be able to lower the temperature of your tank as well. You could drop your heater down to 75-76F or so with what you have stocked in the system. Lowering the temp would also help with evaporation.

If your pumps are causing heat DC pumps tend not to get very hot at all and seem to help minimize evaporation as well. 

The moisture problems, or reef fog is really only a battle for a few months a year with most people. It is something that can come with larger tanks, but it is manageable if you want to keep it. 

Hope That Helps. 

So I bought a 210 reef tank, although enjoyable, just not into it as much as I thought I would be.

I didn't consider the amount of water evaporating into the atmosphere. Starting to see a few mold/mildew spots on the window sills. I did no research before buying. Didn’t know of a "wet room". So off it goes my loss your gain kinda thing.

It is set up well a good ro/di system, aquamatic electronic controller, about 150 lbs of live rock, 75 gal sump w/skimmer

There are a couple different corals I'm so new to this I don't even know what kind they are, but I think they are pretty cool. (I will try to put pictures to this)

The fishes are:

regular clown

black and white clown

pink and green six line

3 tangs

blue angel fish

flame hawk fish

lemon watcher

2 damsel

2 red tails

1 anemone (I think its still in there it likes to move around)

I'm calling all this an expensive lesson about impulse buying.

Does any one want any or all of this It will be cheap to free depending.

If you have a couple strong guys and take it down yourself it's yours.

If I take it down and part out, no reasonable offer refused.

I’ve had it about 6 months and need it out soon before the molds get any worse.

Alternatively is there anything to be done about this problem so I can keep going in the hobby?

As I said it is enjoyable but not with these problems.

ugh files to big to upload can be seen at http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hsh/4846791777.html

If you are serious about free, I may be interested... it would take some strategizing to round up help to move and planning... does the tank have any scratches? Can you send me closeup pics of plumbing, tank and stand?

Please consider donating it to the club before you craiglist it away. Tanks for Teachers may be interested, and I m sure they could find all the livestock good homes too. contact the club president Kevin about it.

This is probably too big for tanks for teachers.

If you really would like to stay I the hobby, take the advise of those who have responded, a dehumidifier, small steps to reduce evaporation, etc. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT give this away for free. If people want a system like this, they will pay for it. Think of it as a rehoming fee for your pets. You don't have to make a profit, but giving it away is kind of silly.

This is probably too big for tanks for teachers.

If you really would like to stay I the hobby, take the advise of those who have responded, a dehumidifier, small steps to reduce evaporation, etc. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT give this away for free. If people want a system like this, they will pay for it. Think of it as a rehoming fee for your pets. You don't have to make a profit, but giving it away is kind of silly.

Somebody has already scooped it up for free, I called and talked to his wife and offered to pick it up and give them a tax write off for full value of every piece of equipment itemized since it would be a donation to my mother in laws school to setup as they're new tank in the science class since they've already outgrown the 55 and the 90 in the classroom.

Somebody scored a deal...

Somebody has already scooped it up for free, I called and talked to his wife and offered to pick it up and give them a tax write off for full value of every piece of equipment itemized since it would be a donation to my mother in laws school to setup as they're new tank in the science class since they've already outgrown the 55 and the 90 in the classroom.

Somebody scored a deal...

So crazy that someone got that for free.

He was saying mold on window sills...I am getting some too, At first I thought it was just because the windows are old, because my living room is like 30' x 20' so I thought humidity wouldn't be a problem.  It may be time for a dehumidifier.

Killer deal, all that stuff for free...how can you not scoop it up...that's calling in sick to work time.