If only reefs were like planted freshwater

Higher Thinking

Given the right setup, a healthy planted tank can grow pretty rapidly. That definitely makes me wish that coral could grow as fast as plants. My 75 gets so overgrown when I don't trim that my fish can't even swim around. Here is the tank after about two months of no trimming.

7a66de645d27790f8a03914c55b5d2e6.jpg

Got in there with some scissors and hacked away to end up with this.

ff924ab99196a62cd195eff5aa43fd9e.jpg

Do any of y'all keep planted tanks?

• Like 2

Nice work Earthbound. What's you method of diffusion on the CO2? Let me know if you need any plants. I got a bunch of Anubias nana and petite that would work great in there. Also got some crypts, java fern v. Windelov, and some other stuff. I used to have way more, but I've switched into a much lower maintenance plant collection. Basically ditched most all my stem plants, red plants, etc. As my picture shows, I don't keep up on my maintenance enough for the better plants since starting my reef. Everything gets overgrown and chokes stuff out.

Tank used to look like this:

c3b4b03e9f3500bf4cc76efe22a02d2b.jpg

For right now I just run the CO2 into the intake bulkhead for the canister filter and by the time it goes through the filter and comes back it is all absorbed. I am looking into running a inline atomizer for it that way I can keep all equipment out of the tank which was one of my main goals when I started the tank

For right now I just run the CO2 into the intake bulkhead for the canister filter and by the time it goes through the filter and comes back it is all absorbed. I am looking into running a inline atomizer for it that way I can keep all equipment out of the tank which was one of my main goals when I started the tank

Sweet! I ran several tanks just inputting the line into the canister intake. I honestly think it can be just as effective as a diffuser or reactor. Although, I currently run a reactor on this tank. I think I do just because that's how I read it should be done when I first started. But since then I've become pretty confident with the filter diffusion method.